Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: purchasing wave
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 6:05 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am considering purchasing a Hobie Wave. I used to have a Hobie 16 and loved it, but it got to be a chore to sail alone. Would the Wave be a good choice for a women to sail alone and also with friends?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 9:33 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Alone, yes. With friends... that depends on a few things. The size of you and yoru friends and the number of them you want to take at one time. I'm sure there are people on this forum that can tell you better from thier expereince. I am 6'2" and 240 lbs so I may be somewhat biased.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject: H 17
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 11:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I would go with a Hobie 17. You could add weight to make the 160 weight min to race and get a trash bag to right it. I take three adults out on mine all the time. You can find good ones for CHEAP!! Wave is nice boat but SLOW!!

Doug

Post subject: Wave
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 12:17 pm 
Site Admin

The Wave is a great all around boat and is very fun to sail. It can handle 4 adults. Best with one. Certainly slower than the 17, but way easier to handle and maintain. Great trainer for your friends.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject: Sorry
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 1:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Matt:

Wasn't trying to put down the Wave. It is a good boat and has it's place. I just think the 17 is a faster and better boat for an adult. That is just my opinion and nothing against the Wave. I guess it depends in the part of the country you are in. Not many here in Div 6 that I have seen.

Doug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 4:58 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Is the hobie 17 much easier to rig and sail than a 16? How is it to raise the mast compared to a 16? How long does it usually take one person to set up a 17 and get on the water. thanks

Post subject: 17
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 8:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It will point higher than a 16 and is faster one up do to no crew. It depends on whether you have a SE or a Sport. 45 min to hour is about right to setup, BUT well worth the effort. Mast is the same, just have to turn it sideways to raise. The wings are really nice (stay a lot drier) and the extra beam males it SCREAM in 15 and up. If you get a squaretop sail light air is nice too. Try to find one to go out on. I love mine, just getting a Mystere 4.3 to learn spinnaker on.

Doug and Ashleigh Snell
Hobie 17 "Stress Free"
New Sunfish
Soon to be Mystere 4.3
www.tcdyc.com

Post subject: waveornot
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 2:37 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Waves are excellent for sailing alone and very easy to set up(15 min) when use to. Skinny girlfriends will ride very nice as long as you don't overload with to much weight;it will only slow you down,however,the boat will flot very nice fully loaded.
The 17/ft FX1 would be my next choice of single handled boats...

Best of good decisions!

Post subject: nacra vs wave
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:28 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Someone suggested I look for a Nacra instead of a Waves, since used Waves are so hard to come by. I don't know anything about Nacras. Do you?

Post subject: Re: nacra vs wave
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:47 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Nacra seem to be more expensive and run in a different class than Hobie!
I personally have no expertise in those areas.
You can contact KEYSAILING in Pensacola Florida or goto:www.keysailing.com
I will stay with Hobie!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:06 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Nacras typically are lighter and less durable. Durability + Fun = Hobie
Light + Breaks Easier = Nacra I could never beach land a Nacra like a Hobie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:12 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The Hobie Wave is an excellent choice to sail alone and with friends. I recently purchased the Wave myself (being a woman) just because I knew it would be easy to sail myself (including the ability to throw the mast myself, rig and launch from a trailer)...and it could also accomodate taking some friends out.

Is it as fast as a Hobe 16/17? No, Of course not.
Is it as much fun as a Hobie 16/17? ..... YOU BET...every bit as fun.
I've had my Wave for about a month and it brings me great pleasure. It sure is a blast.

I ordered the sailboat with the traveler kit and am very pleased with its performance. I also had the dealer cut 2 inspection ports with pockets so I could store some items in the hulls like my keys etc.

To summarize ... I think the Hobie Cat Wave is a wonderful sailboat choice for a Woman sailor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I bought a Wave about a month ago. I also own a 20. Since buying the wave, my 20 has not been sailed much. The wave is great at holding weight and because the deck is clear, there are a lot of comfortable places to sit and crawl without injury. For ease of use and versitility, you can not beat the wave.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

...and then there's the H-14 to consider.

I sail solo, and own both an H-14T and a Wave. Each has it's place. I got a Wave because IT IS EASY to assemble, has really low maintenance, and is more apt to survive a crunching. It will seem, literally, to bounce back (but that's not to say you can't hurt it). The Wave's rotomolded hulls are like Tupperware on steroids, and will forgive accidents better than the fiberglass-sandwiched-foam of your H-16 or the H-14.

The Wave has four seat pads - ready to soften the ride for you and a friend. You've got to figure that a boat that has "seat pads" on the hull, and the option to add backrests HAS to be a boat designed with comfort in mind, and less-stressful sailing. If I remember correctly, Hobie does not recommend a trapeze set-up on a Wave. I mention it because that would be a deal breaker for many.

Of the two, the H-14 would be your performance catamaran. What a joy to sail, and it can be rigged with a trapeze (if you have the "Turbo" version with the jib and dolphin striker). The biggest drawback is that they are no longer manufactured, so you've got to find a used one. But that's not difficult - there are always several available via different online sources. But what if you break something? OEM spare parts are still provided from Hobie, and the "used parts" market is HUGE.

Some of the previous replies mentioned a 17-footer. I'm writing because it seemed to me like you weren't looking for something even bigger than what you had (your H-16) - but rather, you were considering something a little smaller that would promise a fun outting, AND might be easier to set-up and sail by yourself.

If you were comfortable and happy with the performance of your H-16, then you may quickly get bored with the Wave. The Wave gives up some speed and agility for comfort - but that's not to say you can't have a great sail on a Wave. But if you want a slightly smaller version on an H-16, that will be a little easier to set-up, easier to sail single-handed, and can be easily solo-righted - - my vote EASILY goes to an H-14Turbo.

My two cents.
joanie