Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:38 am 
Site Admin

Turbos are here, Turbos are here!

We shipped most back orders of the ST Turbo this week. We should have stock for a number of weeks till we run out again. These are really going out faster than I predicted. More stock is ordered and should be available mid summer.

We also shipped Biminis.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:13 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Can we order directly from Hobie or do I have to track down a willing local vendor?

edit - never mind...I found the answer...gotta track down the local source and get them to order a set for me.

I'm looking forward to playing with these!

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:34 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I called the local shops starting closest to home and expanding outward. The fourth shop I called had two turbo kits in stock. So, I drove the 100 miles round trip to nab a set for my Outback. That beat special ordering and waiting. :D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mmiller wrote:
Turbos are here, Turbos are here!
I got the turbo fins and it was a fiasco trying to install it. My turbo fins do not seat in the groove like the regular fins. The turbo fin's notch for the chain does not line up with the chain and after applying some real force on the new drive unit while catching some waves, the composite drive unit split at the set screw seam. I've already got a replacement for the broken drive unit part.

I can also tell you that I have wore out drive unit #2 in one year's time, alreadty squealing and it shows signs of wear on the steel rod (it is oval, not round). With the added pressure due to the Turbo Flippers, I seriously doubt my replacement parts will last 6 months.

Is Hobie doing any designs for a quality version of the drive unit, stainless steel parts, sealed bearings, etc., or am I going to have to buy one or two new drive units a year to replace the parts breaking and wearing out?

Post subject: Milage
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:35 am 
Site Admin

We do think a change in the placement of the mast set screw may be causing some sprocket failures. At least the sprockets are inexpensive replacement parts.

Mileage, mileage... we need to add an odometer for you Ryknster!

There is no plan for a "Higher performance drive"... yet. We need to come to terms on how to balance the many different needs of users. I know if I used my bike as much as you use your Mirage, I would be spending even bigger bucks every year on it. I just got a chain, sprockets, crank and service on my mountain bike for $260 bucks. I don't even ride that much.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject: Re: Milage
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mmiller wrote:
Mileage, mileage... we need to add an odometer for you Ryknster!
Hahaha. No need for you to add an odometer. I already use one and have an accurate record of each trip. I only find the time to use the Mirage on the weekends and my trips are photography related, not mileage oriented.
Quote:
I just got a chain, sprockets, crank and service on my mountain bike for $260 bucks. I don't even ride that much.
I used to be a hard core bicyclist and found myself having to redo cheap bearings sets frequently until I went to higher quality Phil Wood bearing sets. Then I was able to go for years before having to replace the sealed bearings. In terms of bicycles, the current Outback that I own, has the equivalent of the cheapest hub sets ever made.

I hate to be a pessimist, but I believe in time, you will find Hobie faced with an onslaught of repair and part failure issues. My Outback has been having repair issues with standard parts so I can only imagine the wear issues related to the turbo fins that Hobie will be experiencing in the future. I only got to use my turbo fins a half dozen times before it failed.

At one of your next R&D meetings, please throw in the idea of using high quality stainless parts, sealed bearings, with tight tolerances for a higher quality version Drive Unit. Some people would be willing to pay more money for a more reliable Drive Unit. Plus, if you do a little engineering research, I believe you'll find smaller surface contact on sealed rotating objects will produce more power with less work.

In three years time, I will have gone through three Drive units. This should not be normal for someone who just goes out for an average 11 mile trip on the weekends.

Post subject: Will do.
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:41 am 
Site Admin

I will copy the info to the engineers.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)