Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Had a great Saturday on the south western end of the Myall Lakes so just thought I'd share some photos. My mate Allan was keen to give his new Revo 11 a workout and the conditions didn't really warrant a sail, so it was back to Adventure mode for me.

The main reason for the trip was to suss out the logistics of doing the full length of the lakes from Bungwahl to Tea Gardens, about 60km. So with the driving required for this, we only managed to get about 4 hours on the water. But it certainly gave us a taste for what should be a great trip.

Plenty of reed clumps for Swan nests. The breeding season is from July-Sept so we were fairly safe from attack.

This waterway usually has a brown tannin stain from the tea trees on the shore line. The past few weeks of heavy rain hasn't helped with the colour either.

Anyone else hear banjos ?

Top spot for lunch.

1 of about 6 Whistling Kites that followed us up river.

We take it in turns to supply lunch. Al's turn, and I've got a feeling the bar is about to be raised.

Entree - Smoked Salmon and Caper in Olive Oil.

Main Course - Roast Beef, Onions, Avocado, Cherry Tomatoes, Lettuce, Olives. All washed down with a nice Shiraz. Desert - Fresh Cherry's with home made Rocky Road. Gorgonzola Cheese with crackers. Life's tough.

The new Revo in all it's glory.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great pictures, Slaughter. Wow, you guys sure do eat well!! The fishing camp looks pretty neat too.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Keith. I think we enjoy the food just as much as the trips. We generally take it in turns, one supplies the food, the other supplies the drink. It makes sense as well. It’s just as easy to cater for 2 or 3 as it is for 1 and the bonus is that the food standard is constantly being raised, although next trip is my turn and I'm going to have a tough time topping Al's efforts.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Slaughter, I once spent a week travelling up the Myall River, then cruising the Myall Lakes in a houseboat. One of the best holidays I've had. It would be a perfect camping trip in the AI.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey mate. Good to hear. Think we need to get together for a chat and to suck out some of your knowledge of the area. Saturday was a great teaser for a longer trip. We are planning on perhaps a 4 nighter. We found that the currents play a big part in the river system and you would need to get that right. Do you agree ?

Walked over the sand dunes as well, and as we looked out at Broughton Island, I explained to Allan how ChrisJ Bay got its name. It was incredibly dramatic the way I told it. He’s now waiting for the release of the movie.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well the current is certainly substantial in the Myall River. I didn't notice such a big influence in the lake system proper, but we had a motor, so it didn't impinge on us much. Certainly, there is a marked tidal influence in the lower lake. By the time you get to the top lake, the tidal variation is minimal. If it was me, I'd probably start out at Mungo Brush camping ground and head up from there. It just gets wilder and better as you move up through the lakes. It's a shame your mate doesn't have a sail on his Revo. Stringy and Jeff and I once spent a day sailing out of Mungo Brush and it was great.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Chris. Infact we were thinking of starting at Tea Gardens and riding the current from there. All looks good though.

Allan is looking at sails at the moment. He even used his umbrella which worked pretty good. We had a look at the Hobie sail when he picked up the Revo but I can't help but think that it is oversized for the Revo. Stringy uses the same size sail in Adventure mode but the Revo is 1 metre shorter, and with no furling, I reckon it would be easy to turn turtle with a sudden gust. Either a 'V' shape or smaller conventional sail would be a better option I'm sure.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yeah - I want to hang with Slaughter

He's a pro with the barbie!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Awesome!
Needs a white table cloth though 8)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

...and here I am thinking no-one could out do your culinary efforts Slaughter! :o
Makes my Vegemite sanga's look a bit sad.
One of the last trips we did on our Oasis before we sold it was to explore the Myall River a bit further south of where you were at Mungo Brush. I wheeled it 1/2km down a track off the Mungo Brush road and we eventually reached Hawks Nest. We put up both sails for the last bit.

I would recommend the Hobie sail for Alan's Revo as it is a true into the wind sail, unlike the alternatives. The Revo is more stable than the Adventure so he should have no problems. I haven't tried it but Roadrunner reckons it is a great little sail boat in his earlier reviews
viewtopic.php?p=20842
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=7082

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for that info Stringy. I didn't realise that the Revo is more stable than the Adventure. I thought that the sail could easily overpower the Revo but looks like that may not be the case. Have you worked out a furling system for it, or if not, does it get annoying not being able to easily disassemble it quickly.

Last edited by Slaughter on Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Slaughter wrote:
Have you wouked out a furling system for it, or if not, does it get annoying not being able to easily disassemble it quickly.

When we had the Oasis I tried a few different furling ideas. The simplest ended up using a canopy bow knuckle and some cord around the mast. I'm still using that on the AI in Adventure mode. Check out the sailing section in the kayaking forum for more ideas. I like Revo_1756's latest version for its simplicity. 8)
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=34749

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks mate. I'm onto it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi from BobnDeb.
We've been thinking about doing a trip like this on the Myall Lakes, Maybe camping over for a day or two or maybe more. Starting from either Nerong or Mungo Brush and heading for the top lake, Nerani Sands. Just depends on how much food & stuff we can get in our AI's on the duration. We used to have holidays every year in our trailer sailor there and know some good camping spots. We'll let you know when we get serious about going, preferably in the new year after the school hols.
Deb.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A TI "squadron" is slowly forming in Forster (mine will be the third one I know about and the local dealer has another 3 in stock, apart from mine which should arrive mid January. (BTW they received 27 Hobie kayaks during December alone)), plus there is a bunch of AIs & TIs in the Nelson Bay area. There are heaps of potential destinations on Wallis , Smiths and Myall Lakes, plus of course the huge stretch of water at Pt. Stephens (4 times the size of Sydney Harbour)