Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a Miracle 20 I restored this past August. Refinished the hulls, rudders and boards, all new rigging, sheets, tramp, most hardware is new and even manufactured aerospace tiller arms and crossbar. So far all is working well but I do need advice on the following:

1) Need new sails: recommendations? I'm a recreational sailor and still learning - but we have a weekly race all season as well. No spin on this boat [i](yet) and the jib in non-furling. Should I go spin also?

2) Need a new front crossbeam (bar) as mine is dented on top and cracked below the mast. I figure I will replace all of the associated hardware as well. Any ideas here - suggestions as I move forward?

3) After refinished the boat - I caulked around every possible seam to prevent any significant water getting into the hulls. Starboard is perfect, Port is allowing some water in (maybe a gallon or two)...I don't know where its coming from and haven't perfomed any leak tests yet. There are no holes from the hull(s) re-do or in the daggerboard wells either - maybe where the front or rear crossbars bolt in?

happy new year and thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Buy stock sails. The boat was designed to be balenced using these. Other sails will over power the rudders.

Order a crossbar from your local dealer.

The leak is probably coming from the bow tang. Spread a thin film of silicone seal or 3M 5200 around the tang (where the bridle wire attaches to the hull). The small area around this fitting will allow an amazing amount of water into the hull on a breezy day if not sealed.

The second area prone to leaking is inside the back edge of the daggerboard trunk where the trunk hits the hull. The trailing edge of the board saws this area open over time. A couple of layer of fiberglass here will do the trick.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the input!

I did caulk the tangs when I re-did the hulls and the daggerboard "trunks" don't appear to have any cracks or missing glass/gelcoat at all. While on the subject of the tangs, I did want to replace them becuase I saw rust stains on the hulls and assumed corrosion inside but I couldn't get them off - I tried to uncrew one but couldn't do so and didnt want to risk creating a problem - how do you service these? Is there a plate inside the hulls and would I have to cut a hole for a port?

I realize I'm probably shooting for perfection here but this is my first sailboat and I want to do it right. Send me your email address and I will send you a few pics of the boat if you like.

I appreciate the help and wish you a happy New Year! Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The other leak that is common is the hatch covers. The screws leak, the seals leak, the bezzels crack and leak... ...check these out carefully. Use scuba diving silicone grease on these to seal better, but then you have to be really careful with sand...

The amount of water you posted about suggest either daggerboard or bow tang. Gudgeon screws can leak too, but not a gallon or two unless they are really loose. You might take on more water from unusual places if you capsize and stay that way for a while. It would also explain the water in one hull and not the other.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

It must be the bow tang area as I need to replace the front crossbeam/striker and all (crossbeam has stress cracks around and under mast area)associated components. The dolphin striker is a bit loose. This will be the early spring project to replace everything.

The hatches are clean and I caulked around them and the rivets as well. I also do regularly apply silicone to the threads too. I wa going to replace the hatches with new ones - the cam lock type (non-threaded ones) but I want sure what type makes sense here.

Thanks again for the help - It is really appreciated! Happy new year to you!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The only way to know for sure where the hull is leaking is to do a bubble/pressure test. Pressurize the hulls and then soap the hulls and inspect for bubbles. Bubbles = leaks.

As far as the front crossbar is concerned, there's no reason to replace the hardware unless it shows obvious signs of corrosion or damage, or if its seized. Otherwise, just replace the aluminum extrusion and re-install the old hardware.

sm

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Don't forget, the diameter of the dolphin striker increased so you may need a new striker and mast bearing ball. You will also need a new compression sleeve as this will probably be corroded to the striker post, nuts, washers...

I would give you the date this happened and size so you will know, but that will have to come from some factory guy or Matt B as he knows everything. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:30 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Hammond wrote:
I would give you the date this happened and size so you will know, but that will have to come from some factory guy or Matt B as he knows everything. :)
I didn't know about that until just now. I've only sailed/raced a 20 a few times - the last time was over ten years ago - 1999 MidWinters West (with Wrinklie).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Keep in mind that the Hobie 20 was designed as a one-design class racer. The idea is that all the boats are similarly equipped and the ability of the crew determines the outcome of class events. Even if you don't think you are interested in class racing at this point, keep your options open by buying only class legal equipment, such as Hobie produced (or produced by their authorized subcontractor) sails and trampolines. As far as resale is concerned, a boat that is compliant with class rules will appeal to more potential buyers, and thus demand a higher price, than a non-compliant boat. Class rules are posted on the Hobie Class Association web site.

I refurbished a 1997 H20 in 2008 and have had a blast with it. I bought a new factory trampoline and in 2010, I bought a new set of Hobie sails. I can't say enough good things about them. Some aftermarket vendors will offer sails and trampolines at lower prices, but based on what I've seen, especially with trampolines, you'll get what you pay for. Here's a photo of my boat with new Hobie sails (custom order sail color and I kept the original sail number). Any Hobie dealer can order new sails for you.

Let us know where you are located and maybe we can hook you up with some local H20 sailors in your area. You'll learn a ton by having a crafty old veteran look over your boat.

Good luck,

H16 Seabreeze #112205 (Richard Petty Signature Edition)
H14T Fantasia #47787
San Juan 28

Last edited by MVD on Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:27 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I appreciate the "class legal" aspects and thus far nothing has been "modified" which would enhance performance in any way. I live on the east end of Long Island and there are simply no "class races" that I am aware of nor any other 20's out here. I do expect to order original Hobie sails as I am sure they are well-made and reasonably priced.

As far as dolphin striker diameter - that's news to me and I would normally rely upon the series of Hobie dealers I buy from for this guidance, but I am sure nothing beats the field experience you all have. I will look into it when I am ready to place the order.

Are those carbon rudders class legal? What about a spinnaker?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:48 pm 
Site Admin

The post was changed from the H17 dimension to the H21 in the first couple of years production. Any new crossbar will be drilled to the larger diameter.

Now a 5/8" - 18 thread (was 9/16" - 18)

EPO rudders are class legal. Spinnakers are not, but are easily removed for class racing.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:23 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Will hobie sell the from cross beam fully assembled or do I have to order the parts individually and build it myself? Thank you for all of your support. It's amazing to see this level of service and product committement so long after the end of production.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

ThisSideUp! wrote:
Will hobie sell the from cross beam fully assembled or do I have to order the parts individually and build it myself? Thank you for all of your support. It's amazing to see this level of service and product committement so long after the end of production.

We have x1 complete front beam in stock - part # 40131001 (pricey though @ $1100 msrp) Most folks prefer to 'piece' the parts together because normally you can re-use the components which are still in good shape and it saves you money. But if you need a 'complete' assembly, we do have one left - to order call your nearest dealer toll free 1800Hobie49

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Here's an example of a main sail with a custom pattern and colors. The boat is a '97 and the sails are 4 or 5 years old.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Abraham, that is one funky sail, as if I have much room to talk. I like it. I get the cross. Is there any meaning behind the rest of the design/colors? Makes me think of the DaVinci Code.

H16 Seabreeze #112205 (Richard Petty Signature Edition)
H14T Fantasia #47787
San Juan 28