Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Sail simulator
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:12 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I recently got into cat sailing when I bought a 16. I bought ss5 and I must say that it has helped me improve my sailing skills quite a bit. I started off with the sails on automatic to see what positions they performed best at. Then I set them to manual and adjusted until it matched the performance of the auto sails. The sim also made me feel much more comfortable about flying the hull since I can set the weight of the crew in the sim to that of my actual weight. I am surprised how easily I could apply the skills from a computer game to my boat. The h16 in the game seems to handle just like mine except that the boat seems to tack much easier in the game than in real life. Also, the tendencies to pitch pole in the simulator seem unrealistic, but I cannot be sure since I have never pitch poled my boat, nor have I sailed in very strong wind conditions. I just wish the game had more online activity and I haven't seen a server for cats.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Can you sail the Hobie 16 on the trial version of SS-5? Or do you have to buy the game and the expansion pack?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

ASDASC wrote:
Can you sail the Hobie 16 on the trial version of SS-5? Or do you have to buy the game and the expansion pack?

You need the game and the expansion pack. You can download the deluxe version of the game which includes the pack for $30.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:16 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Sail sim 5 is nothing special. The controls are really clunky. I mean a sim is already pretty artificial, but SS5 is as far away from real as you can get cuz of the weird controls.

SS5 becomes a visual demo of in-irons>close haul>beam reach>broad reach>dead on dead when you put it in automatic sail adjusting mode. An ehanced version of the learner's chart. A novelty.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Marker wrote:
Sail sim 5 is nothing special. The controls are really clunky. I mean a sim is already pretty artificial, but SS5 is as far away from real as you can get cuz of the weird controls.

SS5 becomes a visual demo of in-irons>close haul>beam reach>broad reach>dead on dead when you put it in automatic sail adjusting mode. An ehanced version of the learner's chart. A novelty.

You can change the controls to your liking, but I do agree that the stock configuration could have been much better. It works, it just takes a lot of getting used to. It also would have helped to have some kind of tutorial. Anyone who isn't geared towards sailing and PC games will have difficulty enjoying this game. They also could have added some real single player content. But from the perspective of simulating a race, its great in multiplayer. For a relatively new sailor like me, there is a lot of strategy to be learned from this. People either love this game, or hate it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just downloaded SS5 and installed OK but when I try to boot it tells me My direct X 9 shader is not supported. :( Any one run into this?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think I must be an idiot. I downloaded the trial of SS5 and got nothing but frustrated by it. By the time I finally gave up, my Laser was flying through the air upside down while my teenage daughter laughing hysterically at me!!!! I must need yellow/black "SS5 for Dummies" book.

I learned to sail in a Sunfish on a lake before I ever saw a PC. I think i better stick to fiberglass, dacron and water. :lol:

...and i work for a software company! :oops:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:47 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have not found a bug yet either... Yep the first run of ssim can be a little daunting... But i got underway in a few seconds. The key is know and understand the controls... All... Also you can set each control to auto if you want help. Its a sim not a game, so like anything worth while... You have to learn it. One could say the same of flight sim.

I find them both easy to control and i have mapped my stick and throttle to handle most everything . I just sit with a hand on each. Using saiteck 45. Older combo. I have rudder control on the throttles rocker switch. I think my username in both is. Rojoyinc. Or. Ron
I haven't been player much lately. Glad i bought them both!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:44 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I haven't seen a bug yet in vsk... Ss5 is like that t fiirst, takes about 3 to 5 minutes to get it aorted out. Reminded me of my first time out on my hobie... I now have three.

Best advice, push tiller at start to get cross wind. Each control has manual or auto. Start in full Auto leaving just tiller to worry about. As to learn and want more you start to toggle off auto modes. It,s amazing how real it feels, esp from skippers eye view. Its not a joystick in hand and go. It's learning... Like sailing is. Once you know the controls they're very similar. Instead of thinking controls you think as you do when sailing.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:56 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

pyroboy08 wrote:
I recently got into cat sailing when I bought a 16. I bought ss5 and I must say that it has helped me improve my sailing skills quite a bit. I started off with the sails on automatic to see what positions they performed best at. Then I set them to manual and adjusted until it matched the performance of the auto sails. The sim also made me feel much more comfortable about flying the hull since I can set the weight of the crew in the sim to that of my actual weight. I am surprised how easily I could apply the skills from a computer game to my boat. The h16 in the game seems to handle just like mine except that the boat seems to tack much easier in the game than in real life. Also, the tendencies to pitch pole in the simulator seem unrealistic, but I cannot be sure since I have never pitch poled my boat, nor have I sailed in very strong wind conditions. I just wish the game had more online activity and I haven't seen a server for cats.

Totally agree... Pitch pole is pretty close... Sail in 20+ with decent waves... Sit a bit to far forward, or include a friend. I trap out... And last year lost my footing and flung all the way around the bow. Later had a bruse on. My upper arm from the forestay harness.
It is neat to adjust weight in the sim, you can also move yourself fore or aft to raise the keels. I also like to paly with different sail adjustments to see how they will react in real life. I liked seeing which way to move the tiller when I'm about to tip over to get out of it.... Push appears to be the answer.