Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

So I'm planning on starting a paint job on my 14 pretty soon with some Interlux Brightsides paint. Anyway, I've been reading through the forums alot (way too much for my own good), and I've come across alot of people trying to preserve the nonskid areas on the hulls by not adding too much primer/paint there.

My question is, how much are people walking on there? Am I doing something wrong? THe only time I touch the fore-decks is when my friend and I are messing around on our 16s and playing good old Hobie capture the flag on the lake. But in terms of actually sailing, I don't remember ever going on those decks.

So what is their purpose? Lost a mast, lying down on the hulls, paddling back? I'm so confused.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I painted my old '73 in Buff, came out really nice and I didn't give another thought to the non skid and the boat looked like new. Just remember to sand the piss out of it with high grit wetsand sand paper between coats.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:48 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi,

I just painted my hulls with Britesides and a wagner HVLP sprayer $98.00 from LOWES, it came out real nice. I didn't paint the deck just the sides of the hulls. I agree with the last post, wet sand it, the paint coves thin in the mils, if you need to fill scratches check out interprotect, good stuff.

for my paint I used interprotect then primer and britesides (the one part)

I came out real nice, it's all about the sanding

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I rolled it on with a sponge roller in 12" sections, then got an expensive 3" brush and brushed it. Came out perfect.

Post subject: primer
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

What kind of primers have you guys been using. I used Interlux Brightsides before to paint the hulls with two colors, and they came out great with just the roll-and-tip method (never wetsanded but i could try it). But the only problem is the primer was really thick, and it was jsut some generic one i got at west marine. do u guys use interlux primers?