Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: rocks suck
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

this may not be a problem for those on a real beach .. but on a lake we have rocks instead of sand .. so the question is .. what would you use to keep the hulls off the ground .. right now the boats are on tires, .. oh and the skids we had didnt work to well.. you would stil have to drab the boat over a few rocks .. andy ideas

Post subject: rocks
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Since I sail on a lake also, I went to a carpet store and bought a reminent of outdoor carpeting, it doesn't have to be too thick. I bought about 15 feet of it and had them cut it into two lengths about 15ft long and a width of about 2 feet, cost was about 10 dollars- probably more in New York. I could line up the carpet with my amas, (pontoons) and lay the carpet over the rocks and my hobie slid on it very well. You can actually lift the boat one side at a time and slide the carpet forward. I just left them on the beach till I came back in from sailing. To store it I just rolled up the 2 pieces of carpet and put them in my box on my trailer.
John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:55 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have seen a guy at the lake he uses some kind of home made rope ladder look a like. The parts where you would step on if it would be a rope ladder are mabe from PVC pipe. The rope ladder design is layed out in front of the hulls similar to the before described carpet design. Seems to work well for his more sensitive NACRA. I always wanted to build one for myself.

Patrick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You need one 10' piece of 4" PVC conduit, one 2.5" and two 1" sticks. Drill holes big enough for one full length of 1" to be slide through the center of the 4" and 2.5" lengths, insert (and drill hole just large enough) so the bell end of 10' piece of 1" is on the "lake" side of the 4" conduit (the bell end keeps the 4" from sliding off). Cut your remaining 1" conduit in to four 2 1/2 foot long pieces. Drill holes in the top (not through) at an outward canting angle about 6" from the end of 2 1/2 and 4" conduits. Insert the 1" by 2.5' long pieces. The 2.5' long pieces stick up to keep the boat from sliding off the conduit to either side. The four inch conduit is usually in the water a bit, the 2.5" up on land, that 1" center piece to hold the two larger pieces in place.

You can buy an end cap for the 4", a female threaded connector and a "clean out" threaded plug. Install these pieces on the four inch, slide your 2.5" inside the four, and all the 1" pieces inside the 2.5" and lash down to your trailer.

Have your hardware store find you a hole saw slightly larger than the outside diameter of the 1" for drilling. Will save oodles of time. You'll also need a pint of PVC glue for the caps.

Credit to Richard Carson and someone from I think the Dallas Fleet? (back in the glory days)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I use thick, rubber Anti-Fatigue mats that I purchased at Costco. Each one is 3 feet square and they interlock with each other (end-to-end). They have hexagonal holes pre-cut through them which allow dirt, water and sand to pass through and help the mats to remain stationary - which they do very well. They are about 1/2 to 3/4 inches thick. I use two per side (end-to-end, not stacked) and find they are not moved by waves (lake) at all, and they provide good protection and traction for the boat. They are are also easy to transport and I believe they would work well to cover over anything but the most irregular shoreline.

...they work well for my needs.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 6:17 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

John... I have read your instructions a couple of times but I still can not come up with how this "thing" might look once it is done... could you post a pic?

Thanks,

Patrick

Post subject: Re: rocks suck
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Id love to see some pics of this contraption! Or any other beach ladders! Most of our lakes have small rock instead of sand!

Post subject: Re: rocks suck
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just get the boat up on one hull and ride it straight up onto the rocks. This way you only have to replace one hull every time you sail :D