Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm new to this all together... I bought a 14' Hobie Cat from my local consignment store for $150.00 earlier this week (hauls, trampoline and rudders w/ control arm? trailer) thought I couldn't pass it up. The previous owner looks like he started it or something... Anyways I was wondering if there is a good place to learn to where to begin repairing this watercraft... I like doing major projects like this (mostly cars/trucks). Thought I'd try something new and get out on the water... Since I live in the fabulous FL keys...

P.S. How do I go about finding out what yr./type it is??

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:53 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

this is the place. I was in your same position a little over a year ago and found everything i needed to know by searching and asking questions on this forum. Truely a great bunch of guys here and they are all happy to help.

As far as the year goes... If you can find the serial number on the transom under the lip you can figure it out from there. Search this site and you'll find a few threads on how to translate the SN. In my case the serial number was gone so i need to assume the title was right at 1973

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:54 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I looked and can't see it... I was only able to get one rudder off, the other pin is too corroded, have to cut it out. And the area looks like its on its third coat of paint also... Is it on only one hull or is it located on both?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

On a Hobie 14, the serial number would be located in either one of two places. Most likely it's engraved in the transom. You should not need to remove the rudders to see it, and it would be located on both hulls. If the boat's been painted, then it's probably been painted over. I suppose it's possible that you may be able to recover it by sanding away the paint until it appears.

It could also be stamped on a plate that's fixed to the front pylon (aluminum upright) of each hull. This was only done during the first few years of production. So if your boat has the S/N on the front pylon, it's from the late 60's or possibly very early 70's.

You can also estimate boat age by the color schemes and some of the changes that were done over the years.

sm

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:33 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

should be on both hulls. Could very well be painted over/repaired ect and gone. I don't know about the 14's but the early 16's like mine the serial number was lightly engraved into the glass. one coat of paint would be enough to loose it for good.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:06 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The only number i see on the pylons is 4407. And it's only on the front 2 pylons. It def has been painted with at least 2 coats already. And if I can't find it, do I need it to register it?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yep, pretty sure that's the serial number. As I understand it, the early boats only had a four-digit serial number. That means your boat is probably at least 40 years old.

sm

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:44 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

srm wrote:
It could also be stamped on a plate that's fixed to the front pylon (aluminum upright) of each hull. This was only done during the first few years of production. So if your boat has the S/N on the front pylon, it's from the late 60's or possibly very early 70's.

The number would be (is in this case), stamped directly into the pylon - there is no plate.

4407 is ~ '71 or early '72.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:27 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

It is stamped straight into the pylon... Thanks for the help... To the parts!!! Well sanding first. See you there!