Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 21  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:12 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

to Tom K

I certainly intend to buy your product as soon as it is available

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:21 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks riverzman. Now to just find one of those motors. :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:43 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Wow, it's been a while since I've been in here and people are still beating this idea like a dead horse and asking Tom for the plans??? :lol: That's funny....No PA yet though for me :( The recession finally hit me, wife is out of work for medical reasons, so I'm stuck trying to cover a mortgage, car payments, and all the other stuff with one income....

Anyone wanna donate their PA to a needy person :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:38 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello all!
New member here :mrgreen: .
I been using an Ocean prowler for a year now and just purchased a PA a few weeks ago. Its great, loads of space, can stretch the legs and keep dry. However I cant beleive that after 2 weeks of ownship Im seriously considering adding an electric motor to it. :o

As there is not much info or discussion about motorized Kayaks or PA for that matter, I thought I'd start here. :)

I must also admit that I was looking into this project (PA+Electric Power) last year for a fair amount of time and have done a lot of research on the idea. The Evolve and the Torqeedo is interesting but I really want to have the pedals AND the motor at the same time and have a system that is not held on with some tubes and stuff, nor something that is big, bulky, heavy or sticks out too much.

I read somewhere that Hobie was considering a rear mount motor for the PA, but I figure that never happened.

I've looked and just about every thing on the market you can get and my conclusion is I'll likely have to design something myself. Good but bad.

Ive got some really really good ideas, but time is my problem. Am I nuts?
I really just rather buy something that solves my problems (even if it costs $2500) or tell someone else how to do it for me (what I normally do, ha ha).

GAZ
Fisher Person.
R&D Director, Electronics and Mechanical design. Product design and manufacturing.
[Im mentioning what I do so you dont think Im a nutter]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Welcome Gaz. I am a PA owner wannabe and hope to be in the next couple months.

Tom Kirkman's creation sounds like just the ticket for you. He has videos on YouTube demonstrating how it works but without all the technical details. I think, if I read correctly, Hobie is supposed to produce it at some point but Tom might be able to address that more accurately. I think his contemplated price point is much lower than the Torqeedo.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Jaxjag wrote:
Welcome Gaz. I am a PA owner wannabe and hope to be in the next couple months.

Tom Kirkman's creation sounds like just the ticket for you. He has videos on YouTube demonstrating how it works but without all the technical details. I think, if I read correctly, Hobie is supposed to produce it at some point but Tom might be able to address that more accurately. I think his contemplated price point is much lower than the Torqeedo.

I understand that Hobie has decided to stay w/the Evolve

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hobie graciously turned down the opportunity to produce the system I developed. I was told they were working on something of their own for the future.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Bummer.

I was interested in Tom's system, still am. Am prepping my PA for a trip to Jemsen Beach Florida in 3 weeks to fish indian river lagoon. Any suggestions on where to go what to use are appreciated.

Tom K i hope you market your idea one way or another. i have no skills except as a lawyer/ judge or I would be trying to develop a drive system myself.

Jim

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've never had any plans to market it. However, others have and we'll see what happens in the future. I have a job that keeps me quite busy so getting my system on the market isn't a priority for me. I didn't develop it as something to make and sell.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I doubt Hobie will ever release a rear kit for the PA as I figure product volume would be too low. Thier last comment about "working on it" was in 2009.

Love the Minn Kotas' total solution, esp the idrive electric steer and that, but the weight / size and bulkiness is putting me off.

The Torqeedo Ultralight kit is light also but the power is somewhat less than a 30 or 55lb Minn.
The Torqeedo Lithium battery is nice and light but its not really big enough by my calculations or requirements.
A 100A/H SLA weight is like 30kg.
There is a nice big Lithium Battery in at 20kg :
http://www.torqeedo.com/en/hn/products/ ... 6-104.html
Price is a bit insane.

Im thinking to either rebuild the Torqeedo Ultralight bracket mount or use a Minn motor.

The rear bracket is do able but it must be fabricated with a fair bit of work from scratch.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You'll find that due to limitations on available prop pitch, a 55lb thrust motor will not push the PA any faster than a 30lb motor will. The 30lb thrust model will turn the same prop at the same RPM as the 55lb thrust motor will. The weight of the PA just doesn't begin to tax even the smaller motors.

To make use of any additional thrust or power, you'll have to find a prop with more pitch.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

GAZ wrote:
I doubt Hobie will ever release a rear kit for the PA as I figure product volume would be too low. Thier last comment about "working on it" was in 2009.

Love the Minn Kotas' total solution, esp the idrive electric steer and that, but the weight / size and bulkiness is putting me off.

The Torqeedo Ultralight kit is light also but the power is somewhat less than a 30 or 55lb Minn.
The Torqeedo Lithium battery is nice and light but its not really big enough by my calculations or requirements.
A 100A/H SLA weight is like 30kg.
There is a nice big Lithium Battery in at 20kg :
http://www.torqeedo.com/en/hn/products/ ... 6-104.html
Price is a bit insane.

Im thinking to either rebuild the Torqeedo Ultralight bracket mount or use a Minn motor.

The rear bracket is do able but it must be fabricated with a fair bit of work from scratch.

Hey Gaz ......... I have the Minkota 30 and a Motorguide 45 lb thrust wih a side mount and the Torqeedo Ultralite. The Torqeedo has more thrust than either of the others. I can get between 5 and 6 mph from the Torqeedo light and 4 from the Minnkota’s. Problem is that mount Torqeedo has for the Yaks. It’s not too bad but the placement has to be slightly off to 1 side and you are pushing the ball which in my opinion stresses the Yak ……… pushing a 140 lb plus the load PA with the greater displacement puts MUCH more stress on the mount and the hull than the other Yaks that weight alot less hane have less carrying capacity. They REALLY need a back handle mount. The twist and stow would be ideal if it could be adapted because it can be stored out of the way with no drag when it isn’t needed.
I really wish someone had a mount for the back PA handle.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:01 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Memory Maker, you have the ultralight instead of the evolve? And would you switch to the evolve if you had the choice. Just wondering trying to make a decision. Any cons to the ultralight

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

jacksonH wrote:
Memory Maker, you have the ultralight instead of the evolve? And would you switch to the evolve if you had the choice. Just wondering trying to make a decision. Any cons to the ultralight

I just wrote a full expanation and this forum burped and I lost it ........ summary ......... the only difference between the 2 is the mounts. Evolve has the back mount and well mounts for the Revo and the Outback because of the twist and stow. They do not have a rear mount for the PA and that's a real shame because the well mount scares me a little if I hit a sand bar which I have with the Mirage drive. Also, I lose the use of the Mirage drive as an assist. It's also a pain to stow and dangerous getting it out if it is stowed under decks in building seas. I'm an old fat guy and waves can come over the bow alittle if my weight is forward getting something out of the hatch .......... if the hatch and tray are out while pulling out the evolve or mirage drive and a wave comes ....... I could be in real trouble ...... but that's just my opinion ....... I haven't used the Evolve on the PA others that do would be a better source on that ........

Bottom line ...... I want a rear mount ...... Torqeedo offers a rear mount that works on the PA and it's $300 ( I think ) cheaper ..... and I got great service from Hook1.

That said, I would love to have a mount on the back bar that I liked ....... and folded on the deck ( like the twist and stow) to store went not in use .......... I just think it would have less stress on the PA and be more efficient ........

But ...... in my opinion ....... the Torqeedo\Evolve is the best there is today and really not that much more when you consider what you get ........

The Ultralight .......... love it but have only used it twice ......... I'm a speed demon and I want to get to the spot as fast as I can ....... therefore I use the batttery alot and 1 probably won't last all day at high speed ............ so I bought a second battery .......... but that's the same with either .........

Cons ...... I know this will sound dumb ........ but no ....... haven't seen any cons yet ....... but I have seen alot of +'s over the Minnkota types ....... and I have used electric only boats on the reservoirs here for decades .....

I think that is why Hobie chose Torqeedo .......

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Borrowed ideas from TeamGeauxFish from this forum and some from other forums,http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=174763

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 21  Next