Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Steve Posted
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Steve posted: "We bought our Oasis this summer as I recovered from a crushed femur due to a motorcycle accident. I couldnt use the drive then and might not ever but we have them.

I recently installed a trolling motor to get out fishing. On the shake down (~1.5 hrs) it barely touched the battery. I wouldnt have been able to say the same if i had to paddle."

Steve, last May/June, my torn right shoulder head and rotator cuff flared up so bad, my FP gave me a corticosteroid shot just to be able cast my two handed fly rods from the shore or while wading.

He is a long time friend and a fellow yakker, and he warned me not to get my FH12 into a situation where I needed a healthy shoulder to get back safely. That basically eliminated most fishing and yakking with the FH 12 for the rest of that year.

My new FH Pathfinder will be arriving this week with a new customized BassYak electric motor attached to help get me to and from the various fishing sites. I will have and will use my AT adjustable paddle to help get to and get around fishing sites. My standup paddle will become the main power stick after I get to the fishing sites along with my electric motor if needed. I have two gel pack batteries to ensure that I get back to the launch site.

I have discussed this BassYak powered Pathfinder with many yakkers and would like to be yakkers. All but one want to see the Pathfinder in action and want me to keep them posted. The one holdout is a purist, and I told him to mind his own business :evil: when he tried to give me a sermon on the evils of a powered yak.

My prediction re motorized yaks: Someone will come out with a water cooled/exhaust 4 stroke gas engine which is very quiet, green in nature and weighs in at about 20-25 lbs for yakkers. It will be able to run all day on a couple of liters of gas. It will eliminate the need for heavy batteries and their use of electricity to charge them to be used.

Someone else will come out with a motor mount that will fit into a yak's rear rod holders. This mount can be put into and removed from the mounts in seconds and will not require any drilling. This mount will have rod holders and enable us to put our transducers on it to use our fish finders/gps again without drilling. We will be able put any electric motor we have or buy on that mount, secure it and remove it in seconds.

The original costs will be at or under $1K, and that price will come down as capitalism comes in with better and less costly alternatives.

Then, we will see the same thing happen with solar powered electric motors.

Both of these approaches will be after market designs and :lol: competition will drive the innovation and provide competitive costs for these excellent units.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

"My prediction re motorized yaks: Someone will come out with a water cooled/exhaust 4 stroke gas engine which is very quiet, green in nature and weighs in at about 20-25 lbs for yakkers. It will be able to run all day on a couple of liters of gas. It will eliminate the need for heavy batteries and their use of electricity to charge them to be used."

It already exists, sort of, and has for about 10 years now. It's called a Mokai. The price is a bit steep, but for what it will do, it's also a bargain. It uses a 7.5HP Subaru air cooled motor, 4-cycle and while not exactly quiet, if you want to get upriver in a hurry, there are few craft in this price range that will do it as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqO5z42v ... re=related

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

not fast enough hmmmmm talk about a swift kayak.. up to 30 MPH

I saw a cockpit style jet kayak last year at the EFK annual paddle IMO looked more like a sit in jet boat than a kayak but this one fits description and hauls a** too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGnnxAivEhA

looks like a very entertaining ride. WOW!

Revo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

On a river filled with rocks and shoals, 15 or 16 MPH is about all you can stand. I rarely run my Mokai at much over 6 or 7 because the faster you're going when you center up on that rock you didn't see, well...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I actully thought about the Mokai a few years ago. We had thought about moving to SW Oregon for the summer/early fall. The Mokai would have been great for fishing some of the rivers in Oregon. You could paddle, drift down stream and fish from the yak or beach it and fish areas where even drift boats wouldn't come. Those areas would be native steelhead and salmon or catch and release so there would be no concern about keeping fish or a lot of gear.

Then, after fishing you could use the jet to get you back upstream or down stream to your launch area and vehicle. No need for shuttles or 2 or 3 people with vehicles at both ends of the trip down the river.

I'm surprised that no one has figured out how to rig the 7.5 Subaru as an east put on for fishing/fun and removeable power system for a lot of the yaks on the market.

Tom Kirkman wrote:
"My prediction re motorized yaks: Someone will come out with a water cooled/exhaust 4 stroke gas engine which is very quiet, green in nature and weighs in at about 20-25 lbs for yakkers. It will be able to run all day on a couple of liters of gas. It will eliminate the need for heavy batteries and their use of electricity to charge them to be used."

It already exists, sort of, and has for about 10 years now. It's called a Mokai. The price is a bit steep, but for what it will do, it's also a bargain. It uses a 7.5HP Subaru air cooled motor, 4-cycle and while not exactly quiet, if you want to get upriver in a hurry, there are few craft in this price range that will do it as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqO5z42v ... re=related

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It would be a lot of engine for most kayaks. Plus, you've got to have a fuel tank.

My guess is that the engine and fuel tank in the Mokai weigh about 45 pounds. Of course, the Mokai was designed around this sort of powerplant so it works exceptionally well for that boat.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:01 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

keving12 wrote:
Jollymon wrote:
I just don't understand why people put motors on their kayaks. Defeats the whole purpose.

I have severe rheumatoid arthritis so cant paddle anymore and can only use the Mirage Drive for a fixed amount of time. I still love to get out and fish and adding a trolling motor gives me support to get out and do what I love. It Also gives me peace of mind that it's there if I start to feel pain when I am peddling.

There are legit reasons why folks do mods like this. Thank goodness they still get out and are active!