Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I actually used a piece, duct-taped to make a 5 foot fish bag to try on my fishing hammock before I spent the money on buying one. Worked well for a few trips.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:58 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Good to hear you guys are concerned about the waste generated by use of a Hobie. I work as an environmental advisor (marine scientist) it has always frustrated me as to how much rubbish ends up in the ocean or as landfill to gradually contaminate groundwater leading back to the ocean.

It is really pleasing that something like the use of a kayak rather than a powerboat can bring like-minded people together.

I have used the main large sheet of white bubble wrap as extra insulation and covering when storing my TI on a trailer. I have the bubble wrap with a sheet of shade-cloth mesh over the kayak. I also used some of the wrap for insulation on my garage door which is steel and can be prety hot in the sun.

Keep up the good work.

Back to the original question to Hobie:
It would be really good to hear how many kayaks Hobie have had sent back for recycling. What to they turn them into?

What is done with them when in remote countries like here in Australia?
Do Hobie Australia have a sensible way of recycling damaged or old Hobie hulls.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:07 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

IMO, recycling starts at home, and regardless of the "greenness" of it all, it has always been a good way to get a bonus use out of non-consumable by-products.

As Geordie suggests, there are lots of opportunities to re-use Hobie packing material. In addition to using the Hobie plastic wrap (older style) as a tarp or drop cloth, Hobie bubble wrap is excellent for packing/shipping. I use it as bedding for shorter kayaks when transporting in the pick-up bed and have had others ask where they can get some for the same purpose. The smaller plastic makes an excellent cushion for sawhorses and hanging brackets for kayak storage.
Image Image

Even old hull scraps are good for little projects like plastic welding or custom parts like this:

Beyond that, it's SOP around here to drink tap water instead of bottled water, re-use plastic shopping bags as trash bags, plastic containers as small parts/ hardware compartments in the garage, re-usable rags instead of paper towels, warm-up water for flushing toilets, garbage for the compost pile rather than in the sewer system, etc. There must be 100 household uses for good clean cardboard and boxes.

One could argue that much of it ends up as trash eventually anyway, so what's the difference? If nothing else, it's less wasteful, more economical, and in So Cal, makes valuable existing land fills last a bit longer (saves taxpayer $). If it also helps save the world, so much the better. 8)

PS It is my understanding that Hobie has a recycler pick up their scrap Polyethylene for use in other products. All the Hobie boats are made with new PE, as their material specs have to be very specific due to the high stress in the drivewell.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:12 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hello Roadrunner,

I like where this conversation is going and appreciate your imput as well. I would just add that not only does "recycling start at home", everything starts at home. We are our brothers keepers (and the planet as well) :wink: .

By the way, I couldn't help but notice in your picture where you're showing the bottom of your boat that it looks like you've made some sort of tighter fitting plate on the bottom of your Mirage Plug. Is that correct? How's it working out for you, can you post pictures of just the plug. Thanks.

2014 Tandem Island

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:45 am 
Hobie Tech / Moderator

When we have scrapped boats, or returned boats, they are chopped up and recycled. We don't use the plastic here because of quality issues. I'm not sure what they are turned into, but it does all get a second life as something else. The white wrapping that we use for the kayaks is also recycleable. We changed to this type a year or two ago and it has the recyclable triangle printed on it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

NOHUHU's advice - Take the bubblewrap and stuff it in your hull for added floatation. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What a superb suggestion!!! Sometimes simple solutions are not obvious.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Tony -Not bad for an oxymoron, eh?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:36 pm 
Site Admin

Used / scrap hulls are re-ground to a make material that would be used on other polyethylene products. It is not used to make more Hobie's due to structural and color purity issues, but may be used in many, many other products.

Our bubble wrap is 100% recyclable.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:09 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

sun E sailor wrote:
... it looks like you've made some sort of tighter fitting plate on the bottom of your Mirage Plug. Is that correct? How's it working out for you, can you post pictures of just the plug. Thanks.
This works out great as a plug when soloing the tandem. It streamlines the unused drivewell nicely -- I'm very happy with it.

1. Create a template using paper taped over the opening. A pencil or colored chalk rubbed around the perimeter will define the edge.

2. Transferring your pattern, make the rough cut-out on some scrap PE, then file until you get the fit you want. Make sure it doesn't bind in the drivewell opening.

3. Trial fit with the plug in place using shims as necessary to make it flush with the hull surface.

4. Glue the shims; when set up, glue the plate with the plug in place for an exact fit. Use a PE epoxy (Scotchweld DP 8010 or Loctite 3030) for a permanent bond.
Image Image

Makes a nice little weekend project! 8)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

THe streamline plug would be good for the back well on a TI as there are additional drain holes to remove any splash aboard. I would be careful tightening up the front well to much as this is the main/only drain for this area of the boat. early in my experiences I tried something similar. Blasting downwind thru some 4 foot seas changed my mind. The water that gets in the boat has to have a way out. If I carry any gear in the front I double check to be sure it won't blind the stock plug and opening.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you are truly concerned about waste, you would stop buying new products. There are tons of already purchased goods out there that someone is about to throw away. They are readily accessible though craigslist. Buying used saves twice as much because the used item and the packing of the new item don't get thrown away.

Lots of older boats will end up in the landfill because people want something new. If you hadn't bought your new Hobie, you could have kept ~three thousand pounds of fiberglass from going to a landfill somewhere. I know the performance characteristics aren't the same but don't preach about a few ounces of bubble wrap when you could have made a distinct difference.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm so sick of blah, blah, blah environment, while these people continue living the same consumer driven lives and because they drive a prius they think they are environmentalists. Well guess what buddy, the reason the prius is more expensive than another car is because they burned thousands, yes thousands of gallons of fossil fuels to build the batteries and other special systems needed for that one particular car. The batteries have a lifespan of maybe five years? Then buy a new car or replace the batteries. A prius might get good fuel economy (not great, great would be 3 digits) but it's carbon footprint to build and maintain is enormous. Enormous; as in buy a Hummer and call it better!

sheesh,

j

oh yeah, i think the original poster meant, "Does Hobie recycle their waste?"

the TI3 rear ama mod

Last edited by kayakman7 on Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Roadrunner wrote:
sun E sailor wrote:
... it looks like you've made some sort of tighter fitting plate on the bottom of your Mirage Plug. Is that correct? How's it working out for you, can you post pictures of just the plug. Thanks.
This works out great as a plug when soloing the tandem. It streamlines the unused drivewell nicely -- I'm very happy with it.

1. Create a template using paper taped over the opening. A pencil or colored chalk rubbed around the perimeter will define the edge.

2. Transferring your pattern, make the rough cut-out on some scrap PE, then file until you get the fit you want. Make sure it doesn't bind in the drivewell opening.

3. Trial fit with the plug in place using shims as necessary to make it flush with the hull surface.

4. Glue the shims; when set up, glue the plate with the plug in place for an exact fit. Use a PE epoxy (Scotchweld DP 8010 or Loctite 3030) for a permanent bond.
Image Image

Makes a nice little weekend project! 8)

very nice! i was recently considering making something similar out of wood but i like your idea better

j

the TI3 rear ama mod

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

In my humble experience, most derelict plastic kayaks hulls never find their way to the landfill or recycling center, but rather end up rotting away in clear view in my neighbors' yards. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:25 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Roadrunner,

Excellent work, thanks for sending these pictures and description of what you did. Just a couple of questions still.

What source are you using for buying PE epoxy or Scotchweld DP 8010 in smaller than than the large chalking tube sizes?

Does water drain quickly enough from the front of your (TI?) when your plug is in place?

And... did you take these pictures when your boat just came out of the water? It looks too incredibly shiny, I'm jealous.

2014 Tandem Island