Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey everyone!
So a friend and I are planning to take my Hobie 16 on a sailing/camping trip over our Spring Break and we need any advice from anyone who has done a trip like this before. Right now our plan is that we will sail from Charleston, SC to Hilton Head Island, SC and camp on small barrier islands along the way. I am an experienced sailor and he is very experienced with camping. I am also very familiar with these waters and sailed many summers in them. We are going to sail the Hobie on the a lake multiple times so we can get super comfortable and my friend can gain some more experience before our expedition. Any advice would be welcome! What to bring, how to pack, safety tips, cool stories, anything is helpful!
Thanks for your time!
Thomas

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

gallons of heavy duty bug spray cases and cases of beer plenty of spare parts help on the ready in a motor boat if needed FOOD for two
Vhf radio submersable/MAPING GPS AND CHART ALSO COMPASS
good tent with sand stakes
sealed toilet paper with extra sealed toilet paper
FIRST AID KIT
DO YOU GET SEASICK? IS THE BOAT FIRST CLASS AND SHIPSHAPE
wet suits maybe CAMERA FOR SURE
really good life jackets
flares and signals TWO GOOD KNIVES BOAT PADDLE SMALL ANCHOR WITH ROPE
waterproof case for cell phones
Make sure the Captain and crew can handle bad weather and big surf
However you could camp at either Edisto Beach or Hunting Island and use them as a base CHECK THE WEATHER FORCAST :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

thinking of doing a similar trip this summer but from Charleston to Edisto. If you are local we should get together and do some sailing soon. Our group is here http://www.facebook.com/groups/229735613710689/

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

will be @ Edisto Beach this summer and will be on the St. Helena Sound near the point on the Atlantic Will have many cold drinks and the Hobie 21 SE and a Hobie 16 or two maybe a Hobie 18 magnum.
If the wind is right I will go at least to Seabrook Island to the offshore island called Morgan Carolina Island
Low Country SC is a pretty good place for the Hobies :D :D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:15 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Sounds like a fun trip, I would be up for something similar sometime.

2010 AHPC C2 #218

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks yall!
I actually think we're going to take off from Rockville, (up the North Edisto River just north of Seabrook island) to make the trip a little shorter and to avoid the Stono Inlet, which can be pretty rough and unpredictable at times. We're thinking of camping on Botany Island (across the river from Seabrook), Hunting Island, and then Hilton Head. If we make good time, we might just keep on sailing to Tybee Island, Ga. and finish our trip there. We're looking to take our time and do some fishing along the way. Do you think sailing 20 miles in one day is reasonable? How long do you think that would take? (it depends on the winds obviously.) Also, we're actually gonna be camping in our Eno hammocks because they are easier and less packing than a tent.

I honestly have no idea how we're going to fit ourselves and our gear on the boat... Obviously, we'll have to pack extremely minimalist. Any thoughts?

And I am Charleston local. Where is this Morgan Carolina Island? Maybe I know it by a different name...

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Anyone have any idea about the best way to pack all our gear on the Hobie 16?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I was actually thinking about this not long ago, for some reason.

I used to have a great luggage rack on top of a Ford Explorer, and it came with a bungy netting with small plastic hooks all around. It would fit almost perfectly on top of the trampoline, so my thought was to store everything in plastic garbage bags and throw it on the top/front of the tarp with this net over it. Another idea would be to rig a large PVC pipe with screw off caps either across the front bows just in front of the dolphin striker, or under the tramp just inside the hulls if you needed two. The key thing seems to me to make them easy to remove, keep things dry, and big enough to hold all your blankets, etc.

Oh, and I would pack light!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Get some dry bags in the large duffle style. They are really pretty cheap. You can then strap them to the frame ahead of the mast on the dolphin striker, or even to the hulls just ahead of the frame. You would have to hook onto the lip of the hull to do that so be careful not to over do it. You might also find a way to stuff and lash them down in the gap between the frame and the hulls.

I am sure you can find a way. Just be sure that where ever you put the gear you can still work your sheets cleanly and man the tiller without trouble.

Minimalist would be key. Only bring what you need.