Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wave Hull Repair
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:31 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I recently picked up a Wave and has what appears to be a pvc plug covering a 1 1/2" - 2" hole in one of the hulls. The patch seems to work fine, but I'd like to fix it properly. I took it to my local Hobie dealer to see if they could repair it, but they don't know how to. Most of the work they do is on kayaks and apparently it's a different type of plastic and process.

Anyone know how to fix that or a place around central FL that would do that type of work?

Last edited by Ricky on Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Wave Hull Repair
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The dealer was correct - the Wave is build using cross-linked plastic on the outer skin, and it is not repairable. (the internal foam plastic layer you actually can weld to - but it would be a difficult thing to accomplish)
Post a picture of the patch so that other forum users might better help.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:55 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Here's a photo showing both hull boo boos:

They are smaller than I thought. The 1st one is about 1 1/4" in diameter and it was patched with what looks like a piece of pvc. Its' wedged really tight in there, so I'm not worried about it popping out or anything. The 2nd one is smaller, about 3/4" in diameter, and does not penetrate the hull. I'm not worried about water coming inside the hulls. I just want my '02 Wave to look better. Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:57 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I bought a plastic welder to do these kinds of repairs and then was told it won't work. Something about cross linked polymers. Anyways WEST makes a new (expensive) epoxy for plastics and such called G-Flex. One of their application sheet magazines shows repairing a sailboat hatch. This stuff would probably work. You should try it out and tell us how well it works 8-).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:35 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

G-Flex will bond fine and be a reliable repair If you follow the instructions while doing the repair. You will need to grind some of the foam core away and have some type of a backer on the inside so the G- Flex doesn't just pour into the hull (its runny until it sets up) Heat treat the repair area, mix up the stuff and pour it in the hole.
the stuff works great but it expensive, messy, and ugly. (the product is brown)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

How about the expanding insulation foam that comes in a pressurized can. It would expand to a tight fit and sticks to about anything. It can be trimmed, smoothed and painted to match the hull. Never done it, just an idea.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:58 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I've used that to fill in big dings in boards or rudders but it's pretty soft. I'd want to glass over it to make it strong. Polyester resin doesn't dissolve it though. That's a good thing.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:27 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Don't use a polyester product It won't bond and will crack out before you get it to the water. You would be better off with filling it with silicon.... or cover it with :roll: white ductape.