Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:52 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm a newby TI owner in Camas, WA. I sail several times a week on Lacamas Lake and have sailed/fished on Lake Merwin and Silver Lake. Looking for some others to meet up and sail and/or fish the local waters. I'm retired and very flexible on times.

Any takers?

iHop

Dune TI - 6/4/2011
Camas, WA

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Sure, count me in. I take possession of my TI in a couple of weeks. Spring is just around the corner. I plan to do a lot of Columbia River sailing this summer.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:15 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Welcome to the addiction, YakAttaque! I'm up in Camas, WA near Portland. Do you also like to fish? You may want to join the Northwest Kayak Anglers Forum and come to some of our fishing events and meet ups.

Where are you getting your new yak? What did you order?

Let me know if you'd like to join me any time, I'm retired and try to get out and fish as much as possible. Sailing this time of year is less fun since winds are gusty and not so predictable. If you're getting a TI you will probably want to trailer it since it's pretty heavy for most vehicles (not to mention your back!). I can help you with putting together a very inexpensive trailer, rigging your yak, outfitting it for fishing, where to fish, etc.

There's a lot to learn and it's all fun. My TI is probably the most fun investment I've ever made. One caveat, the initial price of the kayak is only the beginning, at least if you're going to fish a lot.

Let me know what your plans are, I may be making a trip down to Depoe Bay in the next 1-2 weeks to do some salt water fishing. Since I've got a Tandem Island there's an extra seat if you can join us.

iHop

Dune TI - 6/4/2011
Camas, WA

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks IHop,

I've taken possession of my TI today! (from West Coast Sailing in Portland). I'm online today because I'm wondering if the trailerex trailer I bought is normal. The aft overhang of the kayak is quite large and it obscures the visiblility of my trailer lights. The mounts are about 63" apart instead of 67". I'm a perfectionist when it comes to trailers, I don't like to worry about them going down the road.

I've had a hobie mirage sport for about 8 years, with sail, and I've done a great deal of fishing from it (depoe bay about 2 years ago). I've never done a recreational activity more than with that kayak, so I've felt totally confident making the TI purchase. Last year the sailing kind of took over the fun, which is why I've decided to upgrade to the TI (sailing with the mirage sport demands intense concentration, or capsize). Tomorrow I'm planning the TI's maiden voyage at Ridgefield WA (your neighborhood)!

Keep me posted on your trips! I'll do likewise.

YakAttaque

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:31 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Congrats on your new TI, let me know how your maiden voyage goes. When you say Ridgefield are you talking about the Lake Vancouver Sailing Club or the Vancouver River that runs from there to the Columbia. The channel is too small for much sailing as I recall it.

I was up at Kayak Shed in Hood River yesterday, I'm demoing a Jackson Coosa since I don't have a small river fishing setup. The TI is too big for drift fishing and that's where the Steelhead are right now. Planning to hit the Sandy on Wednesday. You interested in joining us? The Hobie Sport would probably work well for that or I may be able to get you a Coosa if you'd like. Let me know.

Hope we get to sail and fish together sometime soon.

iHop

iHop

Dune TI - 6/4/2011
Camas, WA

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I saw your pic of fishing in a blizzard via Northwest Kayak Anglers Forum, you are dedicated! I'm planning on going back to fishing this year, now that the sailing euphoria has eased off a bit. Hope to get in touch with the Northwest Kayak Anglers Forum after the new year (when I have a fishing license). It looks like a very active group!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:25 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Super! Let me know when you want to fish or sail. I'm flexible. Time to renew my Oregon license soon.

iHop

Dune TI - 6/4/2011
Camas, WA