Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Car Top Transport
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hello Hobie Kayakers!

I finally took an Adventure out for a 4 hour peddle halfway around Alameda Island in San Francisco Bay. After weighing all the options (my fondness for sit inside paddle kayaks versus the bad tendonitis in my wrists) I am going to purchase the Adventure. I am thrilled by the speed of the boat and the ability to use my legs, not my arms. I even got the boat to turn nicely after I practiced leaning hard into the outside of my turns. Thanks to all of you for contributing lots of information to this forum.

I have some questions. I will post them as separate topics for ease of organization.

1. Car topping: I have a Yakima rack. I've covered the bars with pipe insulation for padding. Is that sufficient for transporting the Adventure? It looks like the deck of the kayak is flat enough so I could simply strap the kayak down, upside down, on the padded bars. Other options are; purchasing angled foam blocks such as sold by NRS (NRS Universal Kayak Block), or purchasing a real set of kayak saddles from Yakima. I would prefer the simpler and less expensive options. What your thoughts?
-Jonathan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Havoc...welcome to the site.

We transport an Outback and a Sport, topside down, on the Yakima racks with the Hobie pads. It works very well. Pool noodles or the pads you have should be ok.

You might also consider the Yakima loader bar which really makes it easy to load, even for one person.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I use Yakima racks on the camper shell of my Toyota pickup. I used pool noodles when they were first installed, but they only lasted one season and now I've got pipe insulation held on with zip ties.
Usually, the Yakima cross straps are more than enough to hold my Quest securely at the average SoCal freeway speed of 80 MPH. For larger boats, I use the cross straps and a bow and stern line attached to the front and rear bumpers. You can get these ratchet-type tie downs at a hardware store for about $10/pair.

Welcome aboard.

Post subject: Thank you
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank you! You saved me the expense and hassle of all those accessories.
- Jonathan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I use eight 6" sections of pipe insulation (for carry two kayaks), slide four on each bar and then cover the outer surface of the foam with duct tape. The tape keeps the foam from tearing. The short sections cut down on wind resistance and noise vs covering the entire bar.

Post subject: Yakima and pads
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:31 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I first bought the saddles for my yakima roof rack but I didn't like the way the Outback sat on them.
So I found 36" Roof Rack Pads that are wrapped in nylon secured with velcro and ties. I ordered the 36" Roof Rack Pads from Austin Kayaks website. Now I transport the Outback gunnels down.
I would like to tey the Malone auto loaders, they are J shaped brackets but I don't know if they will work with the Outback's hull shape. Does anyone use the latest Malone autoloaders?