Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

My PA is going to be stored on it's trailer I built last week (see an earlier thread I posted if you are interested in a PA trailer) and I needed to cover it to keep the weather and my cats off it. I'm not talented enough to really make my own, but I am pretty good at noticing when something can be made to work and saves me a little money. I saw this cover for a jon boat on Cabela's. Here's a photo and a link;

So basically all I did out of the box was unroll it on the kayak and attached the straps. Then I pulled the bungee draw string and cinched up the bottom so the cat can't get in.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Trailerable-Camo-Jon-Boat-Covers/751656.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Djon%2Bboat%2Bcover%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=jon+boat+cover&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

The cover is on sale for $52.88. I don't think I could buy a cheap plastic tarp for that price.

The cover fits pretty well even though the kayak is 13' 8" long and the cover is for a 12' jon boat. I still have to trim the excess off the straps, but she looks good, sheds water and tight. The cover has several straps to tighten up and there's an elastic cord sewn into the seam all the way around.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:40 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Looks good!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:22 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Thanks for posting! I've been looking for something along those lines myself, and that looks just about perfect!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The cover is on sale for $52.88. I don't think I could buy a cheap plastic tarp for that price.

Excellent! Last year I sewed some heavy duty outdoor canvas covers for parts of the deck boat. It was a lot of heavy work. And I figured I'd be doing that for the PA, (when I get it). But the fabric I use would cost more than what you paid.

So I guess the next stop is Cabelas! Thanks for the informative tip. Just wondering if there is a Bright Yellow Camo option? lol

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

i just bought 2 of them even though mine cracked, i also got one for a friend