Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Transducer Mount Help
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hello all!

I'm new to the forum and kayak fishing and just picked up my PA.

I've seen several post regarding thru the hull transducer mounts. I will be mounting a Hummingbird 385ci DI in my PA. Hummingbird makes a MHX-XMK Transducer mount kit especially for Kayaks and the 385ci. The youtube video looks straight forward.

Has anyone here in the forum used that mount kit on a PA and if so...where did you mount it. If this is not the best route...I'll probably entertain a different external mount. Thanks!

-------
Additional comments since posting: I just found a couple of references by using the "search" function, but it seems noone has posted here regarding the Hummingbird Kayak Mount Kit and the 385ci unit. I'm going to take the plunge and go that route.

If that does not work, I will probably entertain the route Tom Kirkman is using. I want to see if this works and will report back after it's installed and tested. The equipment is on order.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:13 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm in the process of doing a write up now, but here's a few photos of my 'wet' thru-hull set-up...
1. 4" plastic pipe left over from my trailer bunk project; shape to fit in front of sail mast hole under the front cover and cut to length of 2".

Profile of the wet well. Shaped with a 4" angle grinder w/sandpaper wheel.

RTV silicone gooped in with transducer sitting next to it.

Rubber cap w/hose clamp. I cut a hole, ran the transducer lead, sealed with silicon goop.

Ready to stick on the well. Fill well with water, drop in transducer with the lid, hose clamp tightened and she's ready to go!!

A full write-up with lots more photos maybe tomorrow...

Hope this helps!! This allows me to not make any hole in the kayak and the Fish Finder is portable, just loosen the hose clamp and take it all to another boat.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

SkiPro3

Great work! I just ordered the Hummingbird Kayak adapter kit to use with my Hummingbird fishfinder. It's not a water concept, but uses some kind of special grease that Hummingbird provides between the transducer and the hull.

That transducer kit allows the transducer to be removed because it's held by a strap across the top to keep it firmly planted in the grease and the holder. If I'm not happy with the results, I'm going to try your route. Great ingenuity!

Thanks for the reply and the great pictures!

Tight lines!

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:48 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I thought I read that you could use the lowrance scupper hole mount with a hummingbird. If so this will get transducer wet. I will try to find that info.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

rafiki2cu wrote:
I thought I read that you could use the lowrance scupper hole mount with a hummingbird. If so this will get transducer wet. I will try to find that info.

I thought about that route, but I don't want to go any route that would put stress on any scupper hole. I'm going with the Humminbird Kayak Transducer Mounting Kit. The 385ci DI that I have will take the temperature accessory and will override the temp sensor in the transducer.

So my transducer will be a "shoot thru the hull" setup and I'll just hang the end of the temp sensor through the scupper hole in front of the seat. That's my initial plan. I will report back on how well it works once I get it installed within the next week.

Thanks for the input! :D

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Your kit should work fine. Grease that comes with the kit must have been tested for it's acoustic invisibility or they wouldn't have gone with it. Most grease or gels are the same thing used for ultrasounds. The concept is the same after all. I've worked for an outfit that built biomedical ultrasound monitors and they aren't all that different from fish finder concept. Just more computer to render a moving 3D picture.
I wanted something that was permanent, meaning I didn't have to mess with it between trips, (I'm assuming the thing is water tight...) Transferable to another craft if need be quickly and easily, didn't require any drilling to the kayak, out of the way, etc...
Keep in mind, your grease may migrate if your kayak is stored in anything but a flat position. Warm weather and grease could make a mess of things.

I'm not fond of the scupper hole idea because sure as the sun shines, I'll forget it and drag it across something, tearing it up. Too bad Hobie didn't mold a pocket in the hole to recess the sensor. Now that would be pretty cool.
Cheers!!!