Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: trailer question
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

want to get a trailer for my wave, but here's the issue. i've been thinking lately i might want to go up to a 16 within the next year for the extra performance and thrill. i'm trying to find a trailer that can carry both a Wave or a 16 so that, if i do eventually sell the Wave, i can keep the trailer.

so far i've found one solution, the Trailex TX-416HC. it's pretty francy and pretty pricey at 1600! are there any alternatives? any other ideas are welcome thanks!

-will

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Unfortunately, no trailer works well for both. The 16 trailer is too long and the crossbars will stick out further than required. Buy an inexpensive wave trailer and when you move up to the 16, sell the wave with the wave trailer. It will be easier to sell and the new boat will have the right trailer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:48 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

thats lame it doesnt fit... i was having some qualms about the beam... an entire foot does make a big difference (8' vs. 7')...

i've found two solutions so far, the trailex SUT-450-C and Hobie's own Wave trailer. trailex is roughly $1000 and hobie is $720 (i think). i hear that the trailex is nice because if one part breaks you can replace just the one part instead of the whole trailer.

the trailex is aluminum, but are its luxuries and perks worth the extra 300 bucks?

any other ideas are welcome. thanks again!

P.S. and by the way if anyone else knows of a different trailer that works for both Wave and 16 let me know

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

When I bought my H18 I sold the trailer it came with and bought the Trailex trailer. I absolutely love it. It's light, easy to add accessories to, and won't rust (I sail in salt and brackish water 95% of the time). I do plan on keeping my boat and trailer for a long time so to me it is worth the investment.

You can make the H16 trailer fit the Wave, but you will have an oversized trailer. And as mentioned before, a boat for sale without a trailer is a slow mover so it may be wise to get a trailer for the Wave and worry about the H16 when you finally own one.

You could use a flatbed utility trailer for the Wave too.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO