Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The trailer looks good, I think you will really like using it. Ive been trailering an AI - there isnt anything Ive ever owned as easy to launch and setup. I still have an old Mac 26S - hopefully the family is going to do an outing this spring towing the AI and a windsurfer.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Good luck with the TI Jim. You'll love the simplicity and flexibility of these boats. And thanks for posting the pictures of your trailer project.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:59 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Test drove the trailer loaded with my new TI yesterday, it road real good on the road. I have to get a few more things before taking it out (some straps for the mirage drives and clothing to keep dry and warm). The weather is still cool and it is stormy today and maybe snow tomorrow. Maybe I can get it out next week :)
hobie14 by Jimun1, on Flickr

Post subject: Longer trailer tongue.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I bought an inexpensive trailer to haul my TI. I didn't like how far the TI stern extended behind the trailer. I was worried about clipping the stern when backing up or having someone getting too close when at a stop. I went to a local steel shop and bought a steel tube that was the exact same cross-section as the OEM trailer tongue but several feet longer. The greater length allowed me to place the TI stern barely behind the rear trailer cross beam. I bought and installed the two Hobie trailer cradles (better hull fit than I could have ever constructed).
I placed a rubber trailer roller just under the bow, and one just under the stern keel (just touching the hull but not lifting up on the keel). With the TI sitting completely on the trailer I don't need to attach a red flag to the stern. In MN, if any object extends more than three feet behind the trailer...it has to have a red warning flag attached. But at night, no can see the flag and/or stern if it extends out behind the trailer lights...I also didn't want to stick a lite on the stern for night hauling.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Finally made it to Lake Perris and got my TI out for the first time. Winds were light, but me and my friend spent 2 hours on the water. I was amazed at how easy the TI is to handle and effortless to peddle. We got some small gust of wind but they did not last very long. It was good to get back out on the water again. Here are some pictures I took:

Already to launch
hobie16 by Jimun1, on Flickr

On the water
hobie17 by Jimun1, on Flickr

Me with a big smile
hobie15 by Jimun1, on Flickr

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Parallel thinking. I sold my Macgregor 26 because the slip fees were climbing much faster than inflation, winter storage was a chore, and most importantly,
my crew always seemed to have something else more important to do when I wanted to go sailing. The '26 was not fun to sail alone. After selling the '26, I bought an AI and then a TI. At first, I thought I would be using the AI more...however after a year's worth of sailing the TI, I prefer the TI even when sailing alone. My favorite lake usually has very steep chop and the TI moves through them with more control than the AI. The TI almost never submarines, the AI usually is plowing its bow through the waves.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:27 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Tidalwave
I can't wait to go out again to see what this TI can do. A few times on the lake and then mission bay and beyond. It's funny how we start with small ones, get bigger ones then back to to the small or even smaller ones. I started with a 16' Coronado, then 20' Balboa and then a 26' Macgregor. I am believing smaller is easier and simpler. I should be able to get out and enjoy the wind and water more then I did with the Macgregor.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Sorry but I laugh!
Who in the hell is in charge of shipping at Hobie? It took me longer to get the thing out of the box than it did to do original set up. Can someone really hurt a plastic boat even if they tried?
I had enough packaging to start my own recycling company.

While I really appreciate what they do...I love messing with them over this.

Garmin GPS 78
Standard Horizon HX 751
2 12V 700ma batteries in Parallel
Solar charging
Ritchie Compass
14 days of electronics easy