Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Stringy
Great ideas mate!
Thanks for sharing.
I have got the huge new TI dolly cart. It's very well made but not always going to be a practical solution. I do like the fact yours will break down and can be stowed in the hull. The dual purpose cart is another stroke of brilliance!

I am still waiting for someone to invent the built in landing wheel solution, with a lever - possibly similar to the Dagger board lever on the TI - that will simply raise and lower the "landing gear". I know one of our forum members who reckons he has worked it out. He's currently cruising around New Zealand & reckons he will work on it when he returns in a couple of weeks.

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Mickey. :)
Love the landing gear idea!
So you got the new Hobie dolly cart. It is an impressive cart but it's just so huge! :shock:
Apart from the size I was also put off by the price but $550 is actually pretty good value considering those wheels cost AU$360. Factor in the cradles and the handle and you couldn't make it for that.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

:idea: Wicked Smart. Will keep an eye on this thread.

As far as sailing off with this in the hull, how much do you reckon it weighs?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Nohuhu, :)
The Rhino rack with cradles and 16mm SS bar axles is around 4kg (minus the wheels.)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:17 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hello Stringy,

Excellent work as usual! I can see and appreciate how you're taking a lot into consideration for your needs and I know what that takes!
I just wish we ALL lived closer together and could brain storm our ideas face to face, in real time. It would be a blast and very productive for certain :wink:

In the mean time and at the request of a friend, I've been asked to build a more versatile, shorter length Appel Cart with removable wheels and axles. I've just about got it figured out in my head and as soon as I know that it's working properly I'll be sure to post some pictures.

Keep going my friend, good to hear from you as always.

2014 Tandem Island

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks sEs! :)
I look forward to seeing what you'll come up with. 8)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Final Update.

The stainless M6/M8 channel nuts arrived and I hunted up some larger stronger square washers so it's all stainless materials now with the aluminium bar. I ordered the channel nuts through an electrical wholesaler as they are a Unistrut/Ezystrut accessory. The original channel nuts (zinc) were showing signs of rust (at top of pic).

I also sourced a better fitting for the boathook. This doesn't twist when you move the handle.

I also added some 50mm webbing and a quick release clip to hold the cart securely to the hull.

If you need front hatch space you can store the cradle on the rear deck once the wheels/axles are removed and stored in the front hatch.

This cart has now become my favourite for moving the TI. It supports the hull well, breaks down quickly and is so easy to fit when retrieving the TI. Just slide it under and strap it.
So much better than the scupper cart!
Did I say that?! :shock: :wink:

PS:
This hasn't been a cheap mod. The Hobie cradles are $240/pair (though that's a much better price then the $420 I paid for exactly the same cradles when I first got the TI! :? )
The cost breakdown is roughly as follows:
Rhino bar 1m $25
Cradle $120
Channel nuts 11@ $4 = $44
M6 Collared Eye bolts 4@ $5 = $20
16mm SS axles $12
Other stainless fittings/bolts/washers etc $30
HD foam wheels $60.
So all up over $300 in materials. It was easy to assemble though, as it all just bolts together, so no welding necessary.
I'm sure Hobie are missing a marketing opportunity by not providing a more portable and convenient dolly cart for the TI!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:42 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Stringy,

VERY NICE WORK - You've really done an excellent job :!: What you've come up with now is a simple (nut's and bolt's design) that most anyone could make themselves. I'm glad you finally got all the bugs worked out.

There are components of your design that I really like and I also agree with everything else you wrote :wink: .

If I may ask, what is the purpose of the boat hook? Is it for pulling your boat when it's on the cart, or for pulling the cart by itself? I'm able to pull my TI from the bow when my cart is back by the rear Mirage Drive Well area (the balance point for the TI).

By the way, I just finished and sold my newest "removable wheel & axle Appel Cart" to my friend. In some ways it's similar to what you've done, but because he had certain space limitations and trailer requirements, it's different. He's going to use it for a while, test it out and then I'll probably post some pictures and a video. When I do, I'd like to know what you think.

2014 Tandem Island

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great design Stringy. You've put some real thought into this one. I like the use of Unistrut parts. I use them at work and have often thought of using them for a movable camera mount, as you can also get rollers that fit into the slot like the ones in a sliding shower screen.

One thing missing in your design. It's very own name. :P

What material is the Rhino bar ?

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Stringy
Looks great mate 8) your design looks like a much more practical design than the TI dolly cart with the huge inflatable beach wheels. :wink:
The fact that it can all be bolted together, makes it a simple, practical solution that we can all put together if we choose to.

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

sEs,
Thanks. The boathook application acts as a stand and a handle for positioning the dolly under the hull. It was carried over from the original full sized cradle dolly. You are right. It is not really needed on the shorter dolly though it does save you from bending down. I only included it to show it could work. In fact I will be relocating it to the top of the rack, under the cradle because it is in the way of the crossbar when the cradle is used with the scupper cart (which I still occasionally need). I look forward to your smaller cart details and thank you for your original design which this was based on. 8)

Slaughter,
Thanks. How does 'Sawn-off Dolly Cart' sound? :wink:
The Rhino Bar is powder coated aluminium.
Apparently Unistrut bar is available in stainless but I bet it would be dear. I was going to use their SS 40mm square washers but they wanted $20 each for them! :shock: The SS 50mm square washers I got for just over $1 each. Go figure. :?

Mickey,
Thanks. :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:14 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hello Stringy,
I wanted to send you an email but I don't have your address, would you send it to me, thanks. You can reach me at: [email protected]

2014 Tandem Island

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:45 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Really well thought out Stringy.
I find my dolly cart works well but is a bit big. Great when I launch from the trailer or take the trailer to a carpark and then use the dolly to get down the beach. But the dolly by itself is a bit of a pain. I have to take it back up the beach and lock it in the car.

I might have to use the spare cradle to make a reduced size version like yours.

I looked up EziStrut and they have a distributer here in WA. Thanks

Cheers
Geordie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Geordie.
The only disadvantage with the cut down cart is that the ama rub the wheels if you transport with them folded in. Lately I've been using drybags between hull and ama to hold them off the wheel. I can put up with that for the convenience of the smaller cart.
Any electrical wholesaler should be able to get the SS channel nuts. I went to Lawrence & Hanson, TLE, Rexel and Ramax and though none stocked them they were able to get them in.
I'm a big fan of the HD Rhino racks as they have a great range of accessories available, as well as being compatible with the 40mm Unistrut/Ezystrut etc products.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:20 am 
Site Rank - Captain

mickeymouse wrote:
Stringy

I am still waiting for someone to invent the built in landing wheel solution, with a lever - possibly similar to the Dagger board lever on the TI - that will simply raise and lower the "landing gear".

Long time coming but see

http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=59743&sid=ff98088804fa1bddfefe4c55653817f9