Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a 2011 Oasis which has been a great platform for me and the wife this past summer. This year I plan to solo extensively due to a schedule change, and to get involved with others in the kayak community to do some fishing and learn from those with experience. I think although it's big and a tandem, that if "dialed in right", the Oasis can be a great fish platform from a safety and capacity standpoint.

I have a Thule Hullavator with gas struts that will provide 40 lbs of lift power which makes it a breeze to lift to the roof of my car. It's a great help due to the weight of the Oasis, however when alone, the spacing of the grip handles being so far apart make it practically impossible to lift by yourself to the cradle's of the Hullavator even though they are only about 3' off the ground at the side of the vehicle.

Two questions:

1. Does anyone have a 2011 or 2012 Oasis that they have mounted an additional grip handle on that allows a good balanced grip to lift the yak by yourself? Any pictures where the optimal mount spot should be would be appreciated.

2. I'm a big guy 270, but thats not an issue when the wife is with me, the Oasis tracks great and she is the ballast at 120. I'd like to find a way to put weight up front without too much bulk so a cooler could be stored for fish. I was thinking sbout using oversize sand bags that could conform to the hull shape to eliminate the bulk so a cooler could fit easily. Does anyone have experience with the Oasis that has found a great solution?

Now that the weather is nice, I'm motivated to get ready and can't wait to get on the water. Any practical solutions or ideas for these two questions would be appreciated.

2011 Oasis Ivory Dune

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Roadrunner has added the long handle to his Oasis as shown in the image below.

http://i43.tinypic.com/281i7a.jpg

I will be installing one on our 2009 Oasis before we start using it again this spring. I think RR has installed Hobie's front carrying handles on the sides of his Oasis as a semi panic grab bar. That might be a good thing to have while soloing.

Some have put lead shot in their cassette for some of their ballast, and that is probably the best use and only good use of the cassette after you get home with it. After you put the lead shot into your cassette, you can use it as a door stop.

Others use water bags which are filled at the launch site. That eliminates carrying 30 to 50 #'s of ballast in sand bags to and from the launch site.

I think that Stobbo has some good input re solo use of the Oasis.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

GS must be getting me mixed up with others with much more expertise on the Oasis than me! I used to have an Outfitter but that is now sold. My kayaking buddy has an Oasis; he and I have spent many hours discussing sailing modifications to that boat. I have been in it once (or twice maybe) and out with him and his son (me on my Adventure) on many occasions but that's the limit of my direct experience of the doubles.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:20 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I added extra handles behind front seat & in front of middle hatch (hard to see in the pics though). This gives a me very balanced lift when picking up to put on roof racks.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I’ve added handles everywhere but the ones that work the best are the Hobie Multi Strap System (Part #72041)
The mid-ship handles don’t do much for lifting and if you continue to lift the way roadrunner does in that picture you will probably hurt your self sometime soon. It’s really better to lift one end at a time if you by yourself and the Multi Strap is long enough to do so without bending over too far at the waist.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the pictures guys. Since I'm only lifting waist high to my Thule Hullavator cradles, a handle behind the seat and one just in front of the rear hatch should be a perfect solution.

I like the idea of a "panic" grip handle to right the yak too. Anyone mount one on a specific point successfully as an ideal location to flip the Oasis in case of capsize? I ask about the Oasis specifically because of its size. I'll do some self rescue practice when the water warms up. You never know.

Thanks again for your reponse guys.

2011 Oasis Ivory Dune

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:03 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hello 65Strad,

Do you have any pictures from your Oasis on the Hullavator please?

Thierry

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:40 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thierry wrote:
Hello 65Strad,

Do you have any pictures from your Oasis on the Hullavator please?

Thierry

Sorry for the delayed response, I'm going to mount two additional grip handles so I can lift the Oasis on the Hullavator cradles. Before long, I'll post multiple pic's.

2011 Oasis Ivory Dune