Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Picked up my new Adventure this morning. Had to go to work today but left early to test it out. This was my first Kayak ride that lasted more than 5 minutes. Stability was a non-issue after about 2 minutes, but... I have the feeling I have not got the seat adjusted right. The seat posts (if that's what they are called) came out of their holes while I was inserting the drive and I couldn't get them back in without getting out of the yak. I got out, put them back in, and did it again. Said %#@! it and tried peddling but kept sliding forward from the butt which basically put me further and further into a prone position. I ended up paddling. The good news is that the Adventure seems to be a great paddler (remember this is my first time so I don't really have a basis for comparison.) Further good news, I caught two snook (although small) all within 2 hours of putting it in the water. If I can get my seat straightened out I just might start keeping this thing on top of the vehicle and take it with me everywhere I go (lots of water here in Fla.) Any seat words of wisdom?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:21 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Slow Poke wrote:
The seat posts (if that's what they are called) came out of their holes while I was inserting the drive and I couldn't get them back in without getting out of the yak.
Hi SP and welcome to the forum. Are you talking about those two plugs at the bottom of the seat?

If so, there's nothing amiss -- you just need to push them in further. They are a tight fit. Once you get the seat in all the way, you can't get your finger underneath it and it won't want to pull out; you may want to just leave the seat there permanently. When transporting, you can fold the seat-back forward and bungee it down with the pedal bungee and seat back bungee (look aroung -- you'll find a place to put them).

Congratulations on your excellent choice -- you're going to love it! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey (Soon to be No) Slow Poke,
A hearty welcome to the world of Hobie Kayaks and he Forum! Yep--those seat pegs can be a real pain, both to install properly and then to pull out once you get them in place. After numerous tries, I finally resorted to the "ultimate" solution-my Dremel! I used a sanding disk to smooth down the small ridges on the seat pegs--but be careful. Once you get started with the Dremel, it is all to easy to take off too much plastic and then the pegs will be too loose. Try lightly sanding off only the tips first (say about 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch) and then push them into place. All you really need is to be able to get them started and then you can push them all the way in with your fingers. If you get them in, and they are still pretty tight, a large screwdriver blade inserted right next to one side of the pegs, and a slight upward pressure wil get them back out without tearing the fabric or damaging the seat. Then you can try removing a bit more of the plastic. Worked for me--no more seat problems and no more need for my screwdriver "pry bar".

No Dremel? No problem! A small bastard file from Lowe's, W-M or wherever will work just fine, as will a small sanding block, or just a strip of mediium to coarse sandpaper. One way to do this is to cut out a strip of sandpaper about 1/2 inch wide and use it like a shoeshine cloth around the peg. You might want to unscrew the peg from the seat and mount it in a bench vise to hold it snugly for this operation, but whatever works is fine.
Best,
Dick

Post subject: pedals and seat straps
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:09 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Maybe you could try to adjust your pedals closer to you and adjust the straps on your seat so your sitting more upright. With those two adjustments, you can do them on the water, you should be able to find a comfortable posture for pedaling and fishing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the advice. I went out in the motor boat today (fishing with the kid) but I'll be back in the yak tomorrow.