Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:46 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Here's a pic of an area that blows bubbles when I pressure tested the hull ('77 H16). This is the lip of starboard hull/deck seam about a foot forward of the shroud ( the hulls upside down). Last weekend this hull took on several gallons of water over a period of about 9 hours, in rough sea sailing in Narragansett Bay, RI. On calmer waters I didn't notice the leak. There's one other much smaller spot near the stern that also leaks.

Searching the forum I think this can be fixed with epoxy resin and a coat of silicon rubber. I'm thinking of applying some suction to the hull to try draw the epoxy into the seam. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Martin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:26 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

seems like alot of water to get into the hull through a small crack. Also concidering the water needs to go up before it can go in.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:45 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I had this problem last fall. There were sections of the seam about 18" long on the outside of both hulls. It looked like the previous owner had tied it to a dock for long periods and the seal had cracked and dropped out completely from banging on the dock sides.

I cleaned it out and injected one of the 3M marine adhesive/sealant products (I believe it was the 5200 line). Clamped between a couple of strips of thin plywood to hold the shape for a little over a week. It hardened nicely and the old gal hasn't taken on more than a cup of water in either hull this season.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:13 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I did mine this spring.I too Matt's advice from a Forum search here and removed the bead of silcone,cleaned up the seam from stem to stern with a flat file then applied masking tape on both sides of the seam and poured a small bead of fiberglass resin into this channel.Worked great.5 hours of hard sailing on Sunday and maybe 2 teaspoons of water from my port hull.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:52 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

It was a lot of water for such a small area, but it blew some big bubbles during the leak test with soapy water sprayed on it. I sanded down the entire seam. Covered the area with a two part marine epoxy, and sucked it in with a vacuum, then blew some back through using the compressor (all set on very low pressures 2 psi), then repeated the suck/blow twice. The area took about a table spoon of epoxy. After that dried in 24 hours, I covered the entire seam with a marine Goop sealant/adhesive. I know that's not an official Hobie approved product, but it seems like really great stuff (sets clear and smooth and feels like a very stiff hard rubber). I didn't have the 5 days to wait for the 3M 5200 sealant to set.

She'll be in the waters of Casco Bay, Maine for the whole weekend (training for my first ever Regatta, the Maniac Regatta), so we'll see if the fix works or not.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:50 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi,

Hate to bring up an old thread but..I just looked at a 2000 16. This boat has the same issue, however i can push on the hull below the lip and make the gap about a half inch wide. this area is about 30 inches long on the port hull where the aft tramp post is. Its a little soft on the top edge where it curls over to meet the hull. Its dry and the hull is not delaminated, just looks like it seperated along where the top deck meets the hull. they want $1500 for the cat.. Everything is there and in good shape and a 1 year old tramp.

Can this be reapaired with resin and some glass matt to strengthen this seam? this is the only issue on the hulls.

Thanks in advance

206 LS
34 PC

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I saw that boat on craigslist (at least I think so, manahawkin). It looked like potentially a real good deal. You should be able to repair this damage. To do so, you would want to spread the seam apart, sand the joint if possible, the smear thickened epoxy in the seam, clamp it together, and let it cure. You may also be able to use a vacuum to help pull the epoxy into the joint. Once the seam is re-bonded, the hull flex should be eliminated.

sm