Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Getaway Tramp
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have an 18 magnum but might want to sell it and replace it with a Getaway. I have sailed one about five times and like it but the one complaint I have is the mesh tramp. The lake we sail on is a tad cold and my wife is not keen on the mesh as the water flows right through it. I have searched the internet and can't find any solid tramps for the Getaway. Has anyone heard of a solid tramp on a Getaway?

Post subject: Re: Getaway Tramp
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:25 am 
Site Rank - Captain

There are a couple of suppliers on e-bay who will make a vinyl tramp for the Getaway. I considered buying one in yellow from Chip at Whirlwind sails and decided to go with a black mesh tramp that he made me. The tramp he made me seems to be well made and fits well. The only minor complaint I have is that he stops the tramp about 5" short of the rear cross beam and he sews on a line catcher to cover the lacing line, as compared to the Hobie tramp that actually stops under the beam and looks cleaner. I am sure he would continue the length of the tramp and do away with the line catcher like Hobie does. I didn't know how he made the tramp until I received it, so I didn't request this from him. He did move the hiking straps outward almost to the hulls, so that I could use them while I am on the wings and he also added an extra line pouch for me. Because I weigh 235lbs. and sail with friends at times, I had him place the center grommets 4" on center, I did this because the original tramp that was 10 years old was in good shape, except that the mesh was tearing around the center grommets. I am hoping that this problem may be eliminated by adding more grommets down the center, reducing the load on each one. I don't know if it will hold up as well as the Hobie tramp did, which was left uncovered in Florida and Costa Rica it's entire life with the previous owner. I would have went with a Hobie tramp knowing that the fit would be perfect and the quality would be first class, but like you I wanted something that Hobie doesn't offer. Chip was easy to work with and was very quick to get the tramp made and shipped to me. Good luck with your search for a Getaway if you decide to go that way.

BTW, although I have never owned a beach cat before and after owning my Getaway for 6 months, I can't tell you how much I enjoy it. I sail it with friends, or with my wife and 23 month old daughter, but I also enjoy it when I go solo and it is just me the wind and the ocean. I have flipped it a few mile offshore and got it back up solo without any trouble. I am 6ft tall, 235lbs and turn 65 this year, so at this point in my life, I am not exactly what you would call a ripped jock. I only add this because I read so much about the Getaway being a beast and hard to handle solo. I have absolutely no trouble launching at the ramp, sailing and righting solo, but I will admit it is a bear moving around on the beach alone and for me that is only a problem because of the wave action and height of the tides that we get. If I beach it on an incoming tide, unless I pull it way up on the beach the first time which is difficult, the odd waves keep moving it around as the tide rises, I am constantly pulling it up higher until the tide starts to go out.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:52 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

thanks for the tip although i keep the boat stock using hobie parts only. i hoped somehow i missed a solid Hobie tramp when i went thru the getaway parts list. i have had two 16's and this 18. i am almost 60 and looking at the getaway as a easier option so we can stay in the game. i would probably add the spiniker option if get a getaway. have you thought of a cat trax to move your cat around on land?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a cat trax and don't use it. I launch off of the trailer at a ramp, on a small river. I need to travel about 3/4 of a mile to get out of the inlet, really just a natural river mouth, that sometimes has a good surf break. I have a 2hp motor to get me out past the currents and wave action. The problem is when I am sailing and want to stop at a beach somewhere on the coast. I think I am going to drop a 60lb concrete mooring off of our favorite coves. This will allow me to drop off the family and leave the Hobie on the mooring for an hour or two while we enjoy the beach.

We normally have light air half of the year, 5 to 6 mph and I am in the process of putting a screecher on my boat. Because I usually sail solo, or with my wife and little girl, I decided to go with the flatter sail and roller furling, instead of a spinnaker. One of the main reasons I bought the Getaway is the front tramp and I didn't want to have a pole running across it, so I decided to take a risk and reinforce the front spreader bar in the center and mount a 4' pole on it. I drilled holes in the front of each hull, where it was solid plastic, to attach the front guy wires to, like they do on the Nacra's. I am adding about 90 to 95 sq feet of sail to it and I don't believe the loads will be to great. I plan to furl the sail in anything above 10 to 12 mph which we rarely get. I do have dreams/nightmares of the front spreader bar bending, or even worse the top front tips of my hulls breaking off. The pole is already mounted and the guys are in and it seems to be very strong. I have someone bringing the furler, mast hound, blocks etc from the states this week. Once they are installed I can give the sail maker the exact dimensions and get the sail ordered. I have given this a lot of thought and think that everything will turn out well, if not I will be the only Getaway sailing around with the top 2" points of the hulls missing, because I really don't want to think what the cost of two new hulls, plus shipping to Costa Rica would be.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I wonder if a person made those types of mods to a Getaway if you could use the spinnaker (skreecher) in a Hobie Class race? How about using the stock Hobie Spinnaker option I read about in another post is that class legal? Is using a solid rear tramp on a Getaway class legal?