Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Has anyone put one of these things on? Seems to blow away the evolve for half the price. I'm sorry but I'm going to need more than that tiny evolve battery can provide. Check out the link, looks pretty amazing. Someone tell me they already have one on a pa! http://bassyaks.com/products/kits-avail ... syak-kits/

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

etmorty wrote:
Has anyone put one of these things on? Seems to blow away the evolve for half the price. I'm sorry but I'm going to need more than that tiny evolve battery can provide. Check out the link, looks pretty amazing. Someone tell me they already have one on a pa! http://bassyaks.com/products/kits-avail ... syak-kits/

Sorry guy ..... Don't know where you are getting your info but it doesn't blow away the evolve and the BassYak for the Proangler is $900 plus the cost of the battery and the charger and about $300 in options which means you could be looking at up to $1400 without a battery meter.

The battery usage is about equal but the speed of the Evolve/Torqeedo is faster. There have been several published articles that have said the same thing. The Torqeedo/Evolve weighs 15# w/battery and controller as opposed to about 100 for the Bass Yaks and the footprint is smaller. It alsl tells you hom much time you have left on the battery and has a kill switch if you fall out or turtle ........ much higher tech.

Don't get me wrong ........ the Bassyaks is a great engine and has its's good points. Such as it is built like a tank and it is built for more power than speed and has a better mount and the guy that makes them is great and gives good customer service.

I have both the side mount Motorguide 45# engine and the Torqeedo so I have used them both. Also there are several guys here on MKF that have engines ...both types we have made comparisons at our meet and greets. I like the Torqeedo the best and several of the guys have gone from the Bass Yaks to the Torqeedos.

I don't like the Evolve for the PA because it is only offered as a well mount. The wellmount scares me. I have hit hidden sandbars before with the fins ......... Hitting the sand bar at full power would have to do some major damage. I still can't figure why Hobie doesn't offer a decent rear mount Evolve for their flagship Yak .... the PA. The twist n stow mount on the Revo and Outback is wonderful ........ it would be so simple to adapt it to mount on the rear bar but they haven't so us loyal PA owners are stuck. The Torqeedo ball mount is not the best but it is better than what's presently available for the PA. Bass yaks has a better mount.

I just take exception of your statement that the Bass Yaks blows away the Torqeedo because it simply isn't true ..........

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:42 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

looks like SPAM to me

ahh bassyaks, I've 'cloned' a couple setups so far for myself, just by glancing at pix.. I have an idea how i am going to motorize my PA, just havent gotten around to it yet, and i have 2 motors (30# and 40# minnkota's) layin my garage around screamin to get mounted!

ex 2012 Hobie Tandem Island
ex 2011 Hobie Pro Angler
ex 2011 Hobie Adventure Island
ex 2010 Hobie Adventure Island

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Money Maker your wrong again. When does "Blow Away" relate to cash.
First the Bassyaks system is MORE durable than the Foreign model, and it's more adjustable than the Foreign model, the Bassyaks system can be raised both vertically and horizontally from the seat,the Foreign model can be raised only horizontally, the Bassyaks system runs off a 12 volt battery so all of your accessories can run off the same battery, the Foreign model runs off a much higher voltage meaning you have to purchase a 12 volt battery for your accessories, If you want another batter for the Bassyaks system you'll spend $40- $140 where as the Foreign model battery cost $600. If you want to double or even triple your run time in the Bassyaks System you install another battery at that price, if you want to double your run time on the Foreign model you'll pay $600. The Bassyaks system allows longer run times at less cost than the
Foreign model., The Bassyaks system is equally as fast (6+) with the optional 40 thrust and superior with the larger motors.
One of the biggest things is that the Bassyaks System is QUITE, the Foreign model has a hypoid whine which is very annoying. Bassyaks parts are readily available at most marine shops, try buying a prop for the Foreign model on a Saturday, and that prop cost 5 times the price of the MK prop.
Bassyaks Systems are made for the vessel you choose, not an erector set that may fit all. Bassyaks shipping weight is 16 lbs, the battery that they suggest weighs 38 lbs, buy 2 of those and you leave the Foreign model paddling or peddling for many HOURS. Bassyaks has a optional voltmeter which is a LED meter which can be read at nite and dose have a kill switch which has a standard "Key", which if lost you can purchase one at any marine store, if you lose the Foreign models Magnetic key which can be knocked of very easily, your done for the week. The Bassyaks has a discrete throttle control which is mounted out of the way, the Foreign model has a shifter like my Schwinn Apple Crate from the 60's also the Bassyaks system is mounted internally not "on deck" like the Foreign model.
Now on the price, a Bassyaks kit for the PA can be purchased for as little as $399 for the D.I.Y kit and $499 for the standard 30 thrust lb kit. The price will increase as you choose various options. The eVolve is advertised at $2050 in the latest catalog What Bassyaks suggests for the PA would be the 40EH w/LK that would run you $1045. plus another $200 for a battery and charger,that's $1245. , that's almost 1/2 price
The Warranty on the Bassyaks Systems is the best in the field, you break it they replace it, N/C.
There are NO SOFTWARE PROBLEMS on the Bassyaks System!! as there is on some of the Foreign models which have left boaters stranded.
Compare the satisfaction level of the owners of each model and that will answer any of your question on which to buy.
My experience with the Foreign model goes like this, we ran out of battery after 45 minutes on high, something in the shifter broke and we misplaced the kill key which ended our day. And the wiring going into the shaft came apart.
Something to remember is that if you get your kayak going too fast, it'll sink as it's a non displacement hull, the rear tankwell will fill with water as the bow raises

Thrashie if this SPAM wasn't on here you'd be lost, so you own someone some thanks

Plus the Bassyaks System is AMERICAN made.
Tight Lines
Steve

Last edited by SteveK on Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ahhh ....... Steve K ....... the owner of Bass Yaks and never posts that way ......... did the same thing on MKF ......

Steve buddy ...... you really must learn to read ...... the original poster brought up the price thing ...... If you read my post, I agreed with many of your points you have a great product ....... it's just not better than the Torqeedo.

There are a couple of things you misrepresent in your post ........ the Torqeedo/Evolve comes with a battery that weight 4-5 lbs. They don't recommend a 38 lb battery ...... that is sooooo untrue ..... the 38 lb battery would run the Yak for days at high speed but is very expensive ...... it's really made for their larger engines but will work with the Torqeedo Yak model/evolve. It is true that it is not 12 volts and it costs $600 but our guys with the Revo's and Outbacks run all day with them but not at the highest speed.
Your prices for the Bass Yaks for the PA is $899 and the 55# saltwater w/motorlife kit is $309 plus $100 for a good battery and $100 for a good battery charger comes to $1400 without a battery meter.

The Torqeedo has a specially designed prop made for the torqeedo and made for speed for the Yak. The Bass Yaks use the standard Minnkota motor that has a prop made for power to move heavier bass boats. The guy in our group had a bassyak w/55# motor and he could only get 4.5 mph but it recovered quicker when it hit waves. He also needed 2 large batteries to get a days fishing ......... the Torqeedo's were faster ........ You even acknowledged this to me when we privately talked ........ btw ..... where is that Torqeedo mount you promised me ....... hmm .... guess I won't get it now ..... oh well.

All I can say Steve is that I have the Torqeedo and at least 2 people I know upgraded from the Bass Yak to the Torqeedo/Evolve .......... I know of no one that has gone from the Torqeedo to the Bass Yak .......... I also have over 30 years experience using electric powered boats fishing the Reservoirs around Baltimore. There are more than 10 reservoirs within an hour of here that require electric engines on boats so I do have alot of experience with them.

As far as American Made ........ isn't the MinKota made overseas ...... if I'm mistaken then I apologiize .........

Bottom line ...... you have a good product as I said before ........ but it is not better than the Torqeedo/Evolve ......... If it was, Hobie would have chosen Bass Yaks over Torqeedo .......

I also think it is a cheap shot to allude to software etc problems with the Evolve\Torqeedo ......... I'm sure we would have heard alot about them here on this forum .......

Sooooo ...... no SteveK ...Bass Yaks owner.... I am not wrong

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:25 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Good points made on both sides. When it's all said and done, the consumer will eventually dictate the better product.

With that being said, let's enjoy what we all have. Life is too short not to stay positive. This site has brought some GREAT ideas, helping many fellow PA owners. And one day, yes, I may even go motorized on my PA. But until then I enjoy the exercise, to the dismay of the wife. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

MM your wrong again, Bassyaks recommends the 38 lb battery, you misread.
And your wrong on the prices, a standard PA kit can be had for $499 and $399 if you have your own motor, your reading what you want to see. Wrong again , Bassyaks doesn't recommend a 55 thrust lb motor as they are SLOWER than the 30 and 40 thrust lb motors, if you knew what you were talking about you would know that thrust doesn't equate to speed. The mass of the larger motors actually slows them down. Bassyaks suggests the 40 if your interested in speed.
I know of 6 conversions and one as recent as Wednesday , from whom I was told about the software problems, in fact I may have that setup in my hands soon to verify it. I don't understand the cheap shot statement, unless you don't want that to be known, if there was something wrong with other systems, I'm sure we would hear about it.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Hobie Evolve have a standard prop, the lightweight 403 has the variable pitch prop, which still can't be purchased locally.

Bassyaks isn't interested in mass producing, it's a retirement project! LOL!
I have not had any experience with the Hobie Evolve systems, as I think that the propulsion should be directional to be effective, but that's another argument.

I've had me hands on a few Torqeedo systems even as early as serial # 002, I've had one on my X-Factor, so I do know what I talking about.
Each has it's pros and cons, and I would rather run a quite, more maneuverable system.

apology accepted
Steve

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Oh ...... you're right you said they referring to Bassyaks ....... since you ARE Bassyaks I thought you were talking about Torqeedo ......... and a 38 lb battery won't last long at all ......... it is a 55ah I believe ....... according to Kayak Fishing Magazine ..... the Torqeedo battery is equilent to a 100 ah battery .......

Ya know ...... instead of me telling this ........ I'll let ya read it for yourself ...... oh and check out the conclusion .......... great article .....

http://www.kayakfishingmagazine.net/articles/102-current-issue-featured-articles-on-kayak-fishing/1424-electric-kayaks-an-in-depth-look-.html

No apology offered .......

Oh ... you want me to accept your apology ..... ok you're forgiven ...... :mrgreen:

Just 1 more point ....... in the MKF post you said the Torqeedo was faster and you acknowledged the new Torqeedo batteries were 40% stronger than the old Torqeedo batteries ....... I believe the ones you referred to above were the old ones ........

I can post that link too if you'd like .........

Steve ...... as I've said all along ...... you have a great product ....... just not better than the Torqeedo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

After 12 rounds, it's up to the judges to decide the winner..... :D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm curious about why Hobie is using a different prop on their supplied Torqeedo (Evolve) motor than what comes standard on the same motor offered direct from Torqeedo.

I assume the same prop is supplied by Hobie whether you're buying the Evolve for the PA or a Revolution. Correct?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:12 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Memory Maker:
I got a 404 error when trying to access the link to the article. could you please recheck your link and repost if incorrect? It looks like the bulleting board system is truncating the link info. Note the "..." in the link you posted.

Thanks, I'd really like to read this article.

Bob

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:20 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tom Kirkman wrote:
I'm curious about why Hobie is using a different prop on their supplied Torqeedo (Evolve) motor than what comes standard on the same motor offered direct from Torqeedo.

I assume the same prop is supplied by Hobie whether you're buying the Evolve for the PA or a Revolution. Correct?

Tom ........ I'm not sure because I haven't really looked at the Evolve Prop but I can assume that the prop for the Evolve may have a different pitch to allow it to pass through the Mirage Drive slot ........ the prop for the Torqeedo has been specifically designed for the Torqeedo ........ in fact the whole Torqeedo was designed new from the ground up. That's why you can get an engine system that has a very small foot print, has a kill switch and provides a ton of info, has infinite control forward and reverse, is very fast in comparison and weight just 16 lbs .......... That's why Hobie chose it ........ it's as innovative as the Mirage Drive and the Twist and stow ...........

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

TroutNoDoubt wrote:
Memory Maker:
I got a 404 error when trying to access the link to the article. could you please recheck your link and repost if incorrect? It looks like the bulleting board system is truncating the link info. Note the "..." in the link you posted.

Thanks, I'd really like to read this article.

Bob

Gee ...... sorry ... didn't realize that ..... thanks for pointing it out ...... let's try this one ..... it's REALLY a good article that tells the good and bad of each .........

http://www.kayakfishingmagazine.net/art ... look-.html

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks - I was more interested to know if perhaps Hobie had chosen a certain prop design because it proved more efficient on their boats than the standard Torqeedo prop. If it was chosen simply as a means of having something that would fit through the mirage drive well, that's another matter (although I do understand the requirement along those lines).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Memory Maker: Thanks for reposting the article lnk. Very interesting.

Bob