Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:13 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi,

I'm planning two trips to the Outerbanks, one in April and the other late June.

The first trip up is just a family trip and we plan on bringing out Hobie 16 with us. The second trip is with our boy scout troop, we plan to bring several watercraft including a Hobie 16 and Hobie 14.

I am looking at staying at the Frisco Woods campground for both trips, can anyone tell me if that is a good area, sound side, for hobie sailing?

Thanks,

Russell

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've had some great days sailing sound side on the OBX. I sailed out of sound-side houses with waterfront access in Rodanthe and also out of the Canadian Hole. The only issue is water depth sometimes, depends on the wind, sometimes the water can get blown out of the sound. Weeds can be heavy also.

Another post on the subject...

http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5786

sm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:37 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I camped and sailed out of Frisco woods for a long time! It is a little shallow until you get out hundred yards or more ( unlocked rudders make for some hard sailing), but a great area once you get 'em locked down. I have a house now just east of Brigand's Bay - it gets deeper a little more quickly. The topography of the sound bottom changes constantly, too from storms and big winds. The water's mostly shallow and warm. Canadian hole was a good launch before -not too sure since the new ORV rules and repairs, though!

Dave

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I go with a group of buddies every year to kiteboard, and we stay right across the street from the Frisco pier on the Sound side. It would be perfect sailing for any of our boats. Yes, the water depth can be low, but for a Hobie Cat it's plenty, just stay off the shoreline a bit and you'll have enough water. I like the Fall time (October) since its the low season and you can rent a huge house for really cheap - and its still relatively warm and the wind is very dependible. Have a great time - the outer banks are a really nice place to visit and sail

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the replies, I can't wait to get there! And, I just remembered we're making a trip late august too, I guess the hobie is going to get some trailer miles :)