Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cool trailer mods
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've been working on my boat and trailer all week. I have been enjoying upgrading and optimizing things on my trailer setup. I thought I would show a few things that I've come up with and maybe others can chime in with some of their mods as well.

All boxes are mounted on treated wood that is bolted to the frame with carriage bolts. I did that so that when I get down to florida, and have mast-up storage (God willing), I will be able to easily unscrew the coffin box and store it on the ground under my boat on the beach. I admit, having the tube and the coffin box is probably too much storage but it will give me more storage for moving to florida and then when I get down there I'll just unscrew it and keep it on the beach.

The black box is very helpful for storing life jackets, harnesses, blocks, extra parts, etc. It helps to keep things organized.

This is mostly for traveling. It will help keep my mpg down versus having the bike on the yakima rack on the roof. I ordered the bike fork mount on the internet for $20 shipped and then just used velcro straps to keep the spare tire down. It fits perfectly in the "groove" made by the mast crutch which should help keep it from moving.

I also have my kayak stored under the boat on the trailer for transporting it but I don't have any pictures.

Post subject: Re: Cool trailer mods
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Nice I'm thinking of adding a bike rack to my mast stand. You can never have to much storage. I'm looking to add to mine hoping to make it double stack sometime. Then I will need enough room for 2 boats worth of gear.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It has been my experience that the mast crutch moves from side to side while traveling. You might find it stresses the bike to be fixed at the fork and twisted side to side at the wheel. At one time I tied a line from the bow tang to the mast crutch and to the other bow tang to stabilize the crutch. I believe it caused the bow tang to crack after a while and I dropped the mast out on the lake.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

hrtsailor wrote:
It has been my experience that the mast crutch moves from side to side while traveling. You might find it stresses the bike to be fixed at the fork and twisted side to side at the wheel. At one time I tied a line from the bow tang to the mast crutch and to the other bow tang to stabilize the crutch. I believe it caused the bow tang to crack after a while and I dropped the mast out on the lake.

Good point. I'll have to make sure it doesn't wiggle too much. I made sure everything was as tight as possible. Maybe I'll get the crutch welded to the trailer for a more secure mount.

The way I have it, the bike shouldn't sway quite as much because most of the rear tire's weight is on the trailer tongue, not the crutch.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Has anyone added a step on the trailer frame to make it easier to get up onto or off the front of the tramp when raising/lowering a mast, etc.?

I used to just stand on the trailer frame and then step up onto the hull in front of the forward pylon as an intermediate step before stepping onto the tramp, but stopped that several years ago about concern for stressing the top of the hull over time and causing possible delamination. Now I just step up/down the full 32" (trailer frame to front of tramp) with one step. An intermediate step would make it a lot easier and less likely to rip my shorts.

87 H14T
Tortola Sails: 115222
Blue Prism Sails: 88863
Clearwater, FL

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

One other thing that I'm going to add when I get home for Easter is a light attached to the top of the mast crutch aimed aft. I bought a trailer light that has an on/off switch on it so that I can see what I'm doing if I'm putting away my boat in the dark or working on it when it gets dark.

Should be as simple as wiring it into the trailer light wiring. It will require that the running lights be on to use and will only come on when I flip the switch. The running lights may dim from the decreased current but it won't matter.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Zach, How are you controlling fore and aft movement of the boat when trailering? What happens if you have to slam on the brakes? The mast stand on my Trailex trailer is shorter and located further back such that it marries up to the front cross bar to help keep the boat from sliding (or in your case, rolling) forward. It wouldn't work with your setup but you should consider alternative options for reducing potential movement.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I don't have the straps on in the pictures but I always trailer with them just tight enough to keep the boat from moving but not too tight as to put pressure on the hulls.

I'm in the process of building custom hull cradles for the trailer. I'll post pictures and maybe a write-up when I'm finished.

Here is a quick preview:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just got some 12" tires for my trailer. Should help the hubs last longer and should also roll over pot holes better than the old 8" ones.

Found them on etrailer.com for $55/each and free shipping! They are load range C and 6 ply so they should be good tires.

Last edited by PurdueZach on Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice deal on the tires. Man, that seems like a bargin. And they look good too!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

PurdueZach wrote:
Here is a quick preview:
So...if I put plastic stuff in my wife's oven, it'll turn the heating element purple?!? :P

"Ranger ain't gonna like that Yogi"

looks good, what's the material?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

J_Eaton wrote:
So...if I put plastic stuff in my wife's oven, it'll turn the heating element purple?!? :P

"Ranger ain't gonna like that Yogi"

looks good, what's the material?

Just a large pvc pipe cut in thirds.

I did most of the "baking" in the apartment I was given for my internship last summer. Don't tell :D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Installed the new tires over easter weekend. They are very nice. Now all I need to do before I head south is to check the hubs and bearings.

Fenders were too low so I made some quick brackets to raise them. Now the fenders are kind of small for the bigger tires but I'll make do.

12" tire on the right, 8" on left

My helper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I had another idea. What about mounting one of these onto the trailer frame to store keys while you're out sailing?:

Master Lock Wall Mount on Amazon

Now you don't have to worry about losing your keys while you're out sailing!

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 3:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Can someone tell me where to purchase the rollers for old Hobie trailers....1983?

Thanks,
Richelle