Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:45 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi all,

Are there any practical limits to the length of a kayak that one should put on the roof rack of a car? I have a Ford Escape, and would like to purchase a tandem Oasis or Outfitter.

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

No problems. In addition to tying the kayak down, use a bow and stern line, and you won't have any problems with authorities or practical issues. To be really safe, buy accessory kayak racks to go on your cross rails.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

My Folks carry a 7 metre Aleut 2 on a Ford Galaxy. Probably a small car for you 'mericans. Hobie stuff is nae bother.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I dont think length matters as much as weight.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:52 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi
waiting on delivery of my pro angler.looking for ideas on transporting in a short bed Dakoya pickup.I am looking at a bed extender, I will be going 160 miles on the Maine Tunpike occasionaly. Can I transport it in the bed or lift to the roof by adding roof racks or kayak rack ?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:52 am 
Site Rank - Captain

@PJC -- this is just another data point, but used a cheap Harbor Freight 3' bed extender on my '11 Nissan Frontier and carried both an OB and Revolution, without a bit of concern.

I think the PA is bit longer than the Revo, but with the better 53" extender I'd think you'd be fine?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:54 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a Hobie Oasis, length 14'6. I'll be using my VW GTI to be transporting it with a Thule Hullavator lift system. The VW's length is just under 14'.

As mentioned, with front and rear tie down's, the length of the yak should be a non issue. I'll know the first time I put it up top.

2011 Oasis Ivory Dune

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The Hyudai i30 Crossover Wagon at 4.475m takes a TI at 5.54m leaving about .6m overhang at the front and .4 at the rear. It sits on a frame which electric winches into the ceiling of the garage through the front drive hole. Note the pole in the front which supports the frame. So yes, a smaller car can support a larger kayak. No problems with the law in South Australia as I don't need a flag or light if the overhang is less than a metre. :)
Overhang at the front looks longer due to the angle of the photo.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The Hyundai i30 is our North American Hyundai Elantra Touring (subcompact) A metre is about 3 feet.

The only question that I have is what is the bracket mounted to in the front of the grill?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have created a Hayman Reese (at least that's what we call them down under) type hitch which I have clamped to the front cross member. I had to cut the plastic grille and I have a cover which fits when I don't need the pole.
The vertical shaft takes the pin which comes out under the bonnet.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ah... I see. Cool.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:19 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

A good friend of mine who is a Wilderness Pro Staffer in South Carolina totes his Tarpon 160 (16' kayak) on the top of his Miata :o :o with no issues, because he uses bow and stern lines.

Another option for the bow line is to use a length of nylon webbing. Take about 14-18" and double over the last 3" and sew it together to form a flat loop. You can use 20-30lb. braided line in a pinch (hint hint) or a sewing machine and heavy thread.

Use an existing bolt location near the front of the engine compartment. Remove it, make a small x-cut in the webbing by using a hot knife or awl to punch through but make sure you seal the edges of the inner hole you make using a lighter to prevent fraying. Use the existing bolt to pass it through and secure it back to the frame. Close your hood and the strap should extend now beyond the front of the hood and not allow the bow line to rub against the paint. Use the loop you created to pass the secure the bowline through.

Hope you find this useful.

PowerTeam Lures - deadly on bass!!! use promo code "HANOVER" at checkout for a 15% discount