Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:01 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Excluding the kayak/fishing rods, what pieces of gear do you get the most use out of? I am brand new to kayak fishing and I've seen all kinds of cool pieces of kit, but I have no idea which ones to start with. This might be a good way to gauge which gadgets I should pick up first.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:42 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

DaytonaJoe,

I am also new to kayak fishing, but I can give you my two cents (for what it's worth). The day I bought my kayak I immediately made a list of all the gear I thought I would need, and prioritized each item from most important to least. After my first couple fishing trips, it became apparent that I needed to re-prioritize certain items. Therefore, my first recommendation would be to take your kayak out a few times before investing in any gear. You will quickly realize what you need immediately, and what can wait.

Secondly, I think how you rig your kayak should be dictated by your personal preferences, and the situation (i.e., where you fish, what you're fishing for, etc.). This will obviously vary by person. For me, an anchor trolley, rod leashes, and a dry bag were top priorities. These items I could not do without. Take your yak out a few times to where you will normally be fishing, and it will become quickly apparent how to prioritize your gear purchases.

I hope this is helpful.

Happy yakin'!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Fish Grips
Reliable depthfinder
Small Pelican box for wallet, phone, etc.
SPOT Satellite GPS messenger (in case something happens while fishing away from the mothership on an offshore trip and just to let concerned family/friends know where I am fishing)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:59 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Safety wise, I went with a full style PFD.I have an inflatable style but realized if I was to get hit by a passing boat I may not be able to deploy the inflatable, I also went with a mango color. Something bright.
VHF radio with buit in GPS
Strobe light for the PFD
Flag for kayak for visual
PLB

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Leashes, leashes and more leashes - if its not tied down sooner or later it ends up in the drink.

An anglers life vest with heaps of pockets

Good quality sun block, long sleeve shirts, long kayaker pants and hat - Australasia has the worlds highest melanoma, (skin cancer), rates. It concerns me to see so many photos of people in yaks with inadequate sun protection - Hobie advertising included. Also wetsuit or waterproof kayak gear for cooler weather.

Good quality dry storage systems for terminal tackle - rust never sleeps.

High energy snack bars wrapped in foil, (that way they don't get wet an soggy).

The sixth best thing is my flask of hot coffee waiting in the car for me.

Enjoy your fishing.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

charlief wrote:
Leashes, leashes and more leashes - if its not tied down sooner or later it ends up in the drink.High energy snack bars wrapped in foil, (that way they don't get wet an soggy).

Do you have zip lock bags down under? foil leaks up here.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:55 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

radio gps pfd maybe not in that order but all are a must IMO leashes (i would recommend) but are up to you remember its safety 1st so we can all fish again

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Quote:
Do you have zip lock bags down under? foil leaks up here.

Oh I meant the prepacked snack bars, we call them meusli bars. Great for hiking, kids school lunches etc. Yep we do have zip lock bags - I use them to store pre made rigs.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:32 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Cool, I didn't even know about SPOT. Sounds like it'd be really reassuring to have onboard. And leashes are something that I always see in videos but somehow I forgot to buy them.

Someone mentioned the importance of a good depth finder: what do you use it for? Would it be better to have a depth finder/fish finder/gps combo? I'm having a hard time finding a well reviewed GPS/Fish finder... are they just not very reliable?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:20 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Buff and light gloves, good hat, don't like sun blocking creams.
Good ice chest for my water
deep finder so I don't kill my drive
A comfortable PFD is the most important, if it is not comfortable you won't probably wear it in a consistent basis.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:39 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hmm...over the 5 or 6 years, things I've use in my Hobies that I can't do without:

1) Hobie Gear Bucket -- the one that fits in the hatch just in front of the seat. It really is the perfect ergonomic arrangement for tackle for the fishing I do, anyway. My mind boggles when I see folks with 4 or 5 plano boxes stuffed in a crate.

2) One of those freezer 'tote' bags. Get them at Sams Club, BJ's, WalMart...about $10. (this is either a fancier or overpriced model http://www.keepyourcooler.com/freezertote.html) Drop a few frozen bottle of water, fold it flat and it's the perfect fish storage solution.

3) X-tools fishing pliers. You can get these foam-handled tools online or sometimes in WalMart or other sporting good sections. They're cheap, visible, they float and they can cut braid.

4) Deluxe cart: Yeah, the set is $190 US. But they work. <sigh>

5) ???

Things I thought I'd use but have/had no use for:

1) Anchor. Just never needed one. Easy enough to hold approximate position without the hassle and tangle to say nothing of needing an 'anchor trolley'.

2) Stake-out pole. As above. Just never used it often enough to bother taking it with me.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:46 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Good topic......excluding tackle and rods/reels, my purchases start with safety and range to comfort and convenience......

1. YakAttack VISICarbon Pro safety light with custom hi-vis SOLAS flag - $85
2. Stohlquist Fisherman Model PFD
3. Standard Horizon HX-781 VHF floating marine radio
4. C-TUG kayak cart - use a scupper mounted transducer and you'll see why I don't opt for the Hobie cart
5. Lastly - an inflatable donut ring (aka hemorrhoid pad) to make those long days in the saddle a little more tolerable.

Other items that were under consideration are the Deep Hobie Gear Bucket and the YakAttack GearTrac accessory mounting system. The Deep Gear Bucket is my battery storage option, and the GearTrac provides flexibility for the fishing style I opt for on a given day.

PowerTeam Lures - deadly on bass!!! use promo code "HANOVER" at checkout for a 15% discount

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Well, maybe it's me, but I thought you were asking what FISHING gear you find most useful, not safety gear.
1. a 2' fiberglass handled floating gaff w/Treble. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000A ... 00_details
The photo is the single hook, but you get the idea. This grapple hook works like a third hand and extended as well. I can reach out and grab my line in order to re-bait, etc. Really handy and keeps me in my seat and not leaning, stretching or bending any further than I need to.

2. Fish Finder. Face it, there's just no use fishing if there's nothing lurking down there.

3. Down rigger. I use a small Scotty downrigger mounted to my PA side boards. It's so easy to reach down to where the fishies are with a minimal amount of line trailing behind the yak.

4. GPS. If you aren't consistent with your troll speed, you probably aren't catching fish with the trolling method.

5. Extra pre-rigged poles. I can swap from a trolling rig to ultra light or spincasting very easily if the pole is on board, rigged and ready to cast.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Good stuff so far! I meant for this topic to include both kayak-specific items as well as fishing items, not either or.

Could anyone recommend a quality GPS/fish finder? Or two separate units?