Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mooring a hobie
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:50 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi guys, I have a 14t that I am able to Moore this summer. I know that this isn't ideal, but it will allow me to use my boat more often, so I am going to work around the absorbent hulls, and strain on my rigging.

That said, do any of you have any advice on how to rig mooring bridles? I was thinking sone old shrouds around the front legs on the front crossbeam... I don't want to stress the dolphin striker... Any thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Mooring a hobie
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:03 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

none other than the fact that by mooring it you may end up using it less due to issues like sinking and broken rigging etc - just my 2 cents

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It's generally not advised to moore a Hobie because of the potential for gelcoat damage (blisters) and rigging wear.

However, if I were going to do it (which I wouldn't), I would rig up the mooring bridle so that it connected to the bow tangs and then ran back to the front crossbar/pylons. I'd probably add a shackle to each bow tang, pass the line through the shackle and then tie off back at the pylon. This way the stronger pylons would be takign most of the load rather than all of the load being on the bow tangs. But I definitely think you would want to have the bridles lead off the tip of the bows so the boat tracks straight into the wind. I would also use line, not wire, as it will be more forgiving/springy.

I would be sure to make the shrouds good and tight (not just snug, but tight) so the mast does not bang around at all. And I'd also beach the boat and drain it at every opportunity. You want to keep the hulls as dry as possible.

Do I think the boat is going to sink as a result of being moored? No (well not unless it has some major leak issues). But the potential for hull blisters and damaged rigging is quite real.

sm

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:18 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Funny thing about leak issues is that even a minor leak becomes a major issue when hulls are left full time in the water. My 16 a few years ago had a cracked gasket on one plug and after a camping weekend of being beached with just the sterns in the water, the aft end of the hull was filled with water to the point where we had to tow it to the launch ramp with her trying to wheelie the whole way there. If she had not been beached she would have sank for sure
Just sayin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:58 am 
Site Rank - Captain

If you're willing to spend the time/money (and it's allowed where you are), one other way to do this is to build/buy a floating dock (like a swim platform) to stick on the mooring that you can then drag the boat onto at the end of the day. While you still have to be careful with the standing rigging, you won't then have the issues of blistering and leaking.

1990 Hobie 18SX #2077

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:20 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Great input, thanks gang.

I agree that I'd want the gross bar to bear the brunt of the weight. Of course, I mentioned that i had heard warnings of mooring it, but your feedback as made the risk seem that much more dire....

On a scale of 1-10, how unadvisable is it to moore the boat? Aside from the leaky gasket, any other experiences? The alternative is to leave it on the trailer at the marina, it seems that you guys would be strongly in favor of that approach... am i right?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:31 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

TGIF wrote:

I agree that I'd want the gross bar to bear the brunt of the weight. Of course, I mentioned that i had heard warnings of mooring it, but your feedback as made the risk seem that much more dire....

On a scale of 1-10, how unadvisable is it to moore the boat? Aside from the leaky gasket, any other experiences? The alternative is to leave it on the trailer at the marina, it seems that you guys would be strongly in favor of that approach... am i right?

Not just Yeah but "Hell Yeah" - trailer would be best :) IMHO

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

"10"

Broken crossbar, broken rudder, frayed standing rigging, gelcoat delamination, one hull nearly sunk from small leak that I never noticed........ probably more stuff but I am repressing those memories.......

I do still moor the boat at the lake for a day or two at a time though to keep from dragging her up on shore..... no worries there.....

TGIF wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I moored mine for 2 weeks last summer, mast up, with no issues. Our lake has no beach, so I am making a floating dock with rollers on one edge to pull the cat on. I will keep it that way, mast down when not in use this year.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Tie a line between the shrouds and pull them in tight. Waves and wakes will bounce
the mast around.