Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:26 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Greetings!

I have a feeling that this may have been discussed before, but I could use some help and/or advice: My wife and I have an Outback, and I am trying to come up with the best idea to store it -- preferaby within the garage. I am envisioning that I may have just enough clearance (between the garage ceiling joists and the garage door when it is "up") to hoist the kayak up via some sort of winch assembly -- such that the kayak would then be just above the garage door when that door is open. Right now, the kayak is resting on a little improvised dolly, and it is really taking up a lot of space in the garage.

Is anyone aware of a good commercially-available cradle / winch / pulley apparatus that works well for the storing of Hobie kayaks in a suspended fashion from ceiling joists/rafters?

Thanks for any help!

Correction: it is an "Oasis" (tandem) -- as opposed to the Outback.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Paultergeist wrote:
Greetings!

I have a feeling that this may have been discussed before, but I could use some help and/or advice: My wife and I have an Outback, and I am trying to come up with the best idea to store it -- preferaby within the garage. I am envisioning that I may have just enough clearance (between the garage ceiling joists and the garage door when it is "up") to hoist the kayak up via some sort of winch assembly -- such that the kayak would then be just above the garage door when that door is open. Right now, the kayak is resting on a little improvised dolly, and it is really taking up a lot of space in the garage.

Is anyone aware of a good commercially-available cradle / winch / pulley apparatus that works well for the storing of Hobie kayaks in a suspended fashion from ceiling joists/rafters?

Thanks for any help!

Correction: it is an "Oasis" (tandem) -- as opposed to the Outback.

Harken Hoister systems work well.
http://www.hoister.com/

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:29 am 
Site Rank - Captain

+1 for the Harken Hoister. I love mine for our Oasis.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Make sure the hoist system you pick is rated for at least 150 lbs, the kayak is much heavier then published plus you will need the extra leverage to make it easy to hoist by your self.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I use 2 very long roofrack straps slung over 2 strong hooks screwed into the joists of my garage. I have used this system to store both Adventure (actually AI) and Outfitter but not an Oasis (though there's no reason why it wouldn't work)

The straps I made from 2 'normal' roofrack straps (old ones) - I cut off their buckles and tied them to some long lengths of webbing strap material that I bought for <$1.00 per metre. The buckles are the type with a spring-loaded cam such that the strap can be pulled through them to tighten and to release them you press open the spring loaded cam to open the jaws and let the strap slip through.

I wheel the kayak into the garage underneath the hooks from which the straps are dangling in a single large loop, then I slide the straps over each end of the boat and tighten the straps one by one to raise the boat into the roof. When the boat is getting near the top (i.e. just over head height) I turn it over in the straps so that it hangs USD. You have to get the straps loaded onto the hooks in the correct orientation to allow a pull downwards to tighten the strap but apart from that its a doddle.

To lower the boat just press on each cam to open the buckle to lower the boat in steps one end at a time.

The beauty of the system is that it is dead cheap and dead simple and since each strap only has to support a proportion of the weight of the boat I reckon it would be more than strong enough to support the Oasis.

Oh, and you can use the straps to load your boat on the car too !

And with the boats stored upside down you can stow stuff inside them through the hatches.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:20 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks, all, for the helpful replies.

Are there any concerns regarding deformation of the roto-molded plastic due to the weight of the hull pressing against the straps?

Paul

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I used a Thule 571 hoist for mine - well made and works great. After two years of use in a hot Florida garage, I haven't had any issues with the hull. I do store the yak upside down and use wide straps.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:42 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks, all, for the helpful replies!

Paul

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

up-side-down w/ wide straps is the best idea - the deck is much stronger than the bottom.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here's a different way. I car top my TI with .6m overhang at front and .4m overhang at rear, on a frame which sits on the roof rack. Note the pole at the front for support. This fits under my roller door in the garage and I electric winch the TI and frame about .2m above the car for storage.

The TI sits on the carpet runners and there is a support point which is under the mast step. Stored this right side up over an Australian summer with no problems denting the hull.

Not a commercial solution but works well.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:23 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I use the Thule Box Lift with 2x4s attached to the ropes (outback is stored upside down). It works very well and I can get the boat nice and tight to the ceiling.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

This is a little different, but maybe it will give you some ideas that would work for you.
I built a wall rack that stores the kayak at car-top height. It has removable skids that allow me to just slide the kayak laterally on and off of my car.

Hope this helps!
Rob

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 5:33 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi,

Perhaps this is another source for inspiration :-)
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=16799&hilit=+hoist

Thierry

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Kayak hoist from Walmart for $25. Single line that pulls both straps. Pulleys mount to the side of the roof rafters, so I can get my Outback and Revolution right up to the rafters. Have used them for about a month, and so far happy with them. Can't beat the price.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/RAD-Cycle-Products-Kayak-Lift-Hoist-Garage-Ladder-Canoe-Hoists/24462916

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I know this is an old topic, but I need a solution to raise my Outback off the floor of my garage. 3-car garage, but I have 3 cars in it and no space along the walls. Its a 15' ceiling and I want something where I can just lower the kayak into the bed of my truck. I'm having surgery on a torn rotator cuff this month and when I'm all better, I don't want to risk tearing it again.

I like the Garage Gator concept, but several reviews say it winds and unwinds unevenly. The most heavy-duty Harken Hoister is only rated for a maximum of 90 pounds and I want more of a safety factor than that. Besides, the actors in the videos look like the are trying to disguise how hard it is to lift.

So something either electric of with a significant mechanical advantage.

I have 11' from the back wall of my garage before an 8" beam comes down about 2-3' and then ( have another 4' of length before it would interfere with the open garage door. So I can't use any system that requires a line traveling lengthwise across the ceiling from front to back (unless the line was deflected/routed downward to avoid the beam).