Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mirage Drive Popping Out
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:01 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Within the last couple weeks, I've started having problems keeping the Mirage drive locked in on my Outback (2010 model w/ Turbo fins added). Although nothing looks bent, and all feels snug, the left side of the drive will suddenly (and violently) pop out of the left latch and the whole drive will jam in the well - left side popped, and right latch locked so hard I can't release it. With enough wiggling and working, I can get the drive back out and resecure it for a spell, but during an hour's peddling, this may happen 5-6 times.

Again, I don't see anything bent on the drive or the latches, but something clearly needs adjusting. Any thoughts on where to begin?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This sounds like you have an old style drum shaft in a new click&go lock that might be spinning. This sort of thing happens when someone uses a mirage drive that pre-dates the click system.
You can verify with us that the drive is original to the kayak or is there a chance that you have an older Mirage drive?

The new drum shaft can be swapped out in a minute - if this is what you need just contact a dealer for a new drum shaft part.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks. I don't think I have the older drive - the drive is original to the kayak. I'll doublecheck the drum shaft, though, to be sure. I found a similar post and am now thinking the drum shaft might have gotten a bit off-center over the last few years. I use it pretty hard and haven't done anything besides lube the drive and check tension on the chains/cables.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

one other thing to double check is that the locks are fully engaged. You can click the drive in place - but the tolerance is very tight - and if the lock doesn't fully flip over it will be able to pop back open too - double check that you are achieving a complete lock - manually push the lock further forward to see if it has any more room to rotate - if that's not it then I'm not really sure what else could be happening.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:40 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

It's very easy to accidentally release the click-n-go with the heel of your foot, thus causing the problems your having. I've done this way too often (the curse of big feet,especially wearing water shoes,lol!). If you do release the click-n-go lever, resetting it before you put pressure on the pedal will prevent further jamming.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:34 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

A couple more data points, just in case it helps someone figure this out. I confirmed the drum shaft is the new style, marked it, ran it a couple times - it isn't turning. Also, confirmed it isn't my foot hitting the latch, and it appears to be seated the same as the right latch. I also tried a ride using a drive from my Oasis and had the same issue, same latch. So I'm leaning toward an issue with the clip. Is there any way to adjust or replace it?

If not, I'd also seen a couple ideas on other posts on modifying the clip to physically prevent it from releasing. Just wanted to see what other ideas are out there before I drill into it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:47 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Guys,
Me Thinks this subject requires some attention from Hobie.
Having just gone out again & watching the left side "click & go", the latch is "walking" itself open.
This can't be simulated on the rack, but in the water, under pressure, I have had it open by itself several times, and caught the latch half-way undone other times. I've had the Revo for two years and its only been the last six months that this problem has appeared.
On the rack, the click & go latches fully, has good spring action, and can't be faulted.
I've seen Roadrunners post with pictures, but don't want to drill holes until
I know why this is happening.
Anyone found any answers to this problem????
Montedane.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The clip on the left side isn't fully engaging I'm guessing - you need to take the clip and tweak it inboard slightly - this will give it the clearance it requires to fully lock. I am fairly sure that what it's doing it not fully locking to begin with.
When you put the Mirage in place they should both completely lock, but I have seen on Outbacks before where for some reason the left side click is not allowing the shaft to fully engage - and we have attributed this to the click not being level- we made a change to the mold to remedy that issue - but the simple field fix is to tweak the lever over slightly inboard - if you'd like you can send me an e mail and I'll take a short video to show you what I'm talking about and try and help you directly.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:40 am 
Hobie Tech / Moderator

Does the drive rock back and forth at all when it's clicked in? If it doesn't rock, its not fully seated into the drivewell. Each well is trimmed in the factory for a proper fit. Some aren't trimmed quite enough and the drive can be a little tight. If you can see where its rubbing (assuming the drive isn't rocking) you can file the plastic on the drive or kayak to allow more space. There is a lot of plastic here so removing a little won't do any harm.

If your drive is rocking, I am not sure what the problem is and either using Roadrunner's technique or replacing the CNG may be the best option. There are two allen bolts holding them into the boat. (3/16" ball end allen wrench)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

As per my recent thread on a similar issue (Drive keeps popping out of click'n'go clips) I found that my drum shaft was not centred in the drive - readjusting it back to centre seems to have fixed the problem for me.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:56 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Is it possible to purchase a set of Click and Go clips? If so where and how much are they? I'm experimenting with a mirage drive and I'm trying to used Hobie parts and accessories. I'm really impressed by Hobie's innovation and quality of craftsmanship.

Thanks,
Daniel

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:54 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Bcastile wrote:
Does the drive rock back and forth at all when it's clicked in? If it doesn't rock, its not fully seated into the drivewell. Each well is trimmed in the factory for a proper fit. Some aren't trimmed quite enough and the drive can be a little tight. If you can see where its rubbing (assuming the drive isn't rocking) you can file the plastic on the drive or kayak to allow more space. There is a lot of plastic here so removing a little won't do any harm.

If your drive is rocking, I am not sure what the problem is and either using Roadrunner's technique or replacing the CNG may be the best option. There are two allen bolts holding them into the boat. (3/16" ball end allen wrench)

Brendan

I have a 2011 Adventure and have the same problem with the left side releasing. The click has some play but the left side is tight. So you are saying the left click is too high and I should pull the left click and file down the plastic?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:45 am 
Hobie Tech / Moderator

Check the drivewell area as you insert the drive to see if its hitting anywhere and offsetting the drive as it drops down. It should be able to lock in and rock forward and back a little bit. If it's not rocking, look to see where the drive is contacting the kayak. This is where some filing may be needed on the drive or kayak to help free it up.

Check with your dealer if you're still having issues and they can take a look at it. You may be able to adjust the click in go's a little, but they don't have much space to move.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:53 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I installed 1/4" stainless steel washers underneath the left CNG and it seems to have loosened the fit. Will test it in a few days.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:00 pm 
Site Admin

Note: This is the correct drum shaft for a Click and Go hull. Note the beveled ends rather than rounded.

Check the levers, as Jacques noted. Be sure they fully rotate to the locked position. If held partially open by contacting the shaft... that might be a cause. Without the drive in place, flip the levers closed and note the position. Insert the drive and flip them closed again. Same? A little space between shaft and lever could be a good thing I'd think. If touching, as the drive rocks fore and aft... it is possible it could trip the lever open. Maybe limit the fore and aft rocking by adding a small pad on the ends of the spine?

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)