Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Paul, what do you think are the important geographic characteristics for a race like the Watertribe? From afar, I get the impression that the multiple offshore islands in the Everglades are important, because of the overnight shelter they afford the contestants.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:08 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

The Everglades Challenge does not have off shore "islands". 2/3 of the race is off resorts and private properties. The Everglades are not that forgiving. Lots of Oysters throughout.

Looking at the East coast of Australia you do have long stretches of beach with few places to hide in rough weather. Someone with local topography might be able to find a section that can work. You might have to run there and back. There have been a number small boat trips up the coast. Any long inlets, rivers?

http://dogslifeadventures.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I suspect that up in the Whitsunday Islands area, there would be plenty of potential endurance courses (with appropriately awesome scenery too :))

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:03 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I do not know much about Australia but as a professional Google Earth Sailor I see several areas that could be developed into a Watertribe style race course. You need to remember that you do not need a long Florida type shore line. My favorite course is NCC in North Carolina. That is a round 100 mile race. Even the EC has some off shore sections where you do not have a safe harbor for 30 miles.

1) Lake Victoria/Wellington: Looks like you could get ~50 miles one way = 100 miles round trip. You could structure some side check points into Lake Reeve. You have open water, narrow channels, marshes. Just find the right time of year that the weather can be transitional and challenging.

2) Nepean River, Penrith: You want to design a course that is good for all classes. Run down river toward the ocean. Opens up to several Bays. Check points could be up the bays. To give the sailors something exit the bay into the ocean and head north to the next inlet ~30 miles. Enter Lake Macquarie. You have Rivers, Bays lakes and Ocean.

A Watertribe event Challenges you against the elements...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The Whitsundays was my first choice as well. It is a beautiful place with many islands and is protected from ocean swells.
The Nepean runs into the Hawkesbury. The Hawkesbury Classic is a paddle only kayak race that is well established. This from Wiki:

'The Hawkesbury Canoe Classic is an annual marathon canoe race taking place on the Hawkesbury River in Northwest Sydney usually at the end of October. The Hawkesbury Canoe Classic consists of a 111 km paddle downstream starting in Windsor and finishing in Brooklyn. The race is Australia's fourth-longest annual canoe race after the 404 km Murray Marathon, the 208 km Murray 200 on the Murray River between Martins Bend and Morgan in South Australia and the 133 km Avon Descent in Western Australia. The Hawkesbury Canoe Classic has over 600 paddlers each year.
Around 600 paddlers travel 111km in moonlight, down the Hawkesbury River from Windsor to Brooklyn, to raise money for Charity. Over the years the Hawkesbury Classic has developed into a great event. Paddlers, their land crew and hundreds of volunteers converge on the banks of the Hawkesbury River at Windsor on the day of the event to enjoy the fun and competition of an overnight paddle, and the now famous camaraderie and spirit of the event. Paddlers leave Windsor between 4pm and 6pm on Saturday and pass 20 safety checkpoints during the night. The fastest craft arrive at Brooklyn on Sunday morning in less than 10 hours, but the average time is closer to 15 hours'

The problem with extending the race into Broken Bay (mine and Chrisj's stomping ground) and up the coast into Lake Macquarie (Slaughters stomping ground) would mean travelling through National Parks where camping is er.. not permitted. That's one reason why we have contributed to the 'sleeping on board' thread.
I wonder if a major race could get exemptions? There are many fantastic beaches that would be suitable for 'overnighting' on. It's wouldn't really be camping- just sleeping on the beach -(the 'Occupy Sydney group' defense).

The other problem may be big ocean swells and dangerous breaking surf.
Is the EC challenge held on more protected waters?

Maybe the race could finish at Slaughters house! :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:27 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

What do you do with a Hour of GoPro Video that mostly stares at the back of your head?

You gotta Love I-Movie...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mouRpQ-nOEg[/youtube]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Video is private.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:46 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I always forget to uncheck that little box. I-Movie always defaults to Private.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Really nice effects Paul. Very professional. Just think what it could have been if you had your footage from the race. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Neat. Very nice. Short, but very well done.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice preview, now we need to go snorkeling to see the rest! :o

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

DogsLife wrote:
I always forget to uncheck that little box. I-Movie always defaults to Private.

Yeah, I know. An odd default setting, if you ask me. Maybe others make more use of private videos, but to me, the reason I put it on youtube was so people could see it.

Nice job, BTW. I never took the time to figure out how to make mine fancy productions like you do.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11