Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Newbie saying hello
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

After reading about 29 pages of Hobie Kayaks on this form, I decided to take the plunge and buy a 2012 Oasis about a month ago. I would have posted earlier, but I've been living on the water a lot lately :D

And being the proud owner of a new Oasis, I have a ton of pics to post. But I believe I have to have a couple of mod approved posts under my belt first (?)

I will eventually outfit it for fishing, but right now I installed the Hobie Bimini Top which I also have pics of.

Anyway, looking forward to meeting everyone!

2013 Caribbean Blue Outback

Post subject: Re: Newbie saying hello
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Eric,

Congratulations on your new Oasis. Never doubt its capabilities. Like Hobie says, you can go farther and faster than you ever dreamed. The Oasis is a very capable boat, tandem or (ballasted) solo (but harder to right and climb back into than the Adventure or Revo, so be sure you practice ahead of time).

If you are indeed in Vegas, I assume you'll be boating on Mead and Mohave. Be sure you pay careful attention to the need to thoroughly clean and disinfect your boat and equipment before going to any other body of water to avoid spreading exotic mussels. The Zebra and Quagga mussels are incredible survivalists. They can survive up to a month of dehydration. I've been told the most effective means is to wash everything with salt water. Also, don't leave your boat in the water overnight, or microscopic mussels will attach to your hull. Even after they are dead they are said to leave a sandpaper-like texture to your hull that can't be removed and will be sure to slow you down.

Happy boating.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:01 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Congrats and welcome to the forum!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:31 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the greetings everyone. I appreciate it.

Yes Microboater, I live in Vegas. I've been out on Lakes Mead and Mohave. And you are right about the invasive mussels. They have boat washing stations right next to the ramps and I always wash and dry the Oasis before I leave.

Quote:
The Oasis is a very capable boat, tandem or (ballasted) solo (but harder to right and climb back into than the Adventure or Revo, so be sure you practice ahead of time).

That is advice well taken-thanks!
Right now I'm using two water bags for ballast when I solo. I'm thinking that in case of a capsize, it might be easier to right the boat if the water bags fell into the lake, vs. a drive well plug filled with lead (?). I'm still experimenting and will find what works best for me.

Thanks again for the advice. I appreciate it.

Pic will be coming in the near future.

2013 Caribbean Blue Outback

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:07 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Congrats on your new Hobie! I picked one up last month for some summer fun. I have had both kayaks and canoes in the past, but got away from them after I acquired a bass boat. Ten years later and I am going back to the basics, with a Cadillac kayak :D have fun in those huge Vegas lakes!

1 other kayak for son

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Welcome! I am relatively new as well, and I can say that this is a great forum - tons of knowledgeable people and a positive vibe.

Graduating from adventure junkie to dealer. Get your fix at http://www.fasterfarther.com