Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi,
Im hoping a few of you can offer help/advice along with pictures would be great too. Im trying to carry a Pro angler & Outback on top of my pick truck cap. The cap(heavyduty fiberglass) can handle the weight,my concern is whats best and safe way to accomplish this or do I really have to go with a trailer?Some of my honeyholes would be near impossible to access with a trailer. Im really trying to keep my hitch open for hauling.
FYI,its a heavyduty truck that sits a bit higher than a half ton. I know options such a thule rack/bars/saddles exisit and Im not oppose to them.Just hopeful to get it right the first time.
Please chime in big or small advice.Thanks in advance for the help and it nice to be aboard. :D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:50 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I think the easy thing to do would be to use a truck extender for the PA and throw the Outback on top of the cab. No sure how long your bed is, but I know some people just carry their PAs on the truck beds for short trips.

2020 Hobie Outback

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I thought about a pickup rack transport as well and opted for the tailgate extender. Since I primarily make the long trips with my fishing buddies, the wife's Revo 11 doesn't usually go along. I did find that I can have the PA to one side of the pickup bed (keel down) using the tailgate extender and put the Wife's Revo 11 on it's side with plenty of room.

I would think you could do the same thing with the Outback. As long as you have padding or something that you feel would protect the side of the Outback on it's side in the bed, this would be a workable solution for transport.

I have a 2004 F-150 Supercrew with the 5.5 foot bed and have no issues this way. That way both would be inside your nice camper shell and you wouldn't have to store the PA on top. As far as saddles go, I just use one or more of those thick padding style blankets like the movers use under the kayaks in the bed as padding. Just a thought...

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:29 am 
Hobie Tech / Moderator

Take a look on youtube. There are a number of kayak transporting videos people have posted. Google Image search may turn up some help too. I've used it in the past to find ideas.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I use a 1/4 ton Bantam trailer that has racks on it, I would strap the PA down to the racks and then strap the OB down on top of the PA. You will have to take the PA seat off though. I used foam blocks between the PA and OB. The trailer is not wide enough to carry the PA and OB side by side. It was a pain to lift the OB over 6' to put it on top of my PA especially if my short buddy was with me, he would have to stand on the open tailgate of my pickup.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

redgrappler wrote:
I think the easy thing to do would be to use a truck extender for the PA and throw the Outback on top of the cab. No sure how long your bed is, but I know some people just carry their PAs on the truck beds for short trips.

Redgrappler..
Yeah I understand/picture what your saying. But really trying to keep my hitch exposed(tailgate closed) to haul our traveltrailer too.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:12 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

SRAces wrote:
I thought about a pickup rack transport as well and opted for the tailgate extender. Since I primarily make the long trips with my fishing buddies, the wife's Revo 11 doesn't usually go along. I did find that I can have the PA to one side of the pickup bed (keel down) using the tailgate extender and put the Wife's Revo 11 on it's side with plenty of room.

I would think you could do the same thing with the Outback. As long as you have padding or something that you feel would protect the side of the Outback on it's side in the bed, this would be a workable solution for transport.

I have a 2004 F-150 Supercrew with the 5.5 foot bed and have no issues this way. That way both would be inside your nice camper shell and you wouldn't have to store the PA on top. As far as saddles go, I just use one or more of those thick padding style blankets like the movers use under the kayaks in the bed as padding. Just a thought...

SARaces
I get what your saying,makes sense. My senario is a Dodge Ram 2500 four w/short box.Capper is Leer fiberglass. Im really trying to keep tailgate up and closed inorder to attach my weight distribution hitch and haul travel trailer behind truck too.Guess I should have mentioned that in my first post. I can put the Sports in back of truck,but all other hobies stick out to far with travel trailer hooked up. Hope I dont confuse you,Im pretty good at cthat...lol
**I will try and post picture of my truck/cap setup,maybe it will give everyone better idea what Im talking about** :D
actionjackson

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Bcastile wrote:
Take a look on youtube. There are a number of kayak transporting videos people have posted. Google Image search may turn up some help too. I've used it in the past to find ideas.

Bcastile..
I did exactly that before posting on here. Still havent found anyone carrying Outback & ProAngler on top of truck top. Im sure someones doing it,but I havent come across picture/post ot video yet.Seem some setups on trailers,but again really trying to keep them up on truck topper. I will be traveling 7-8 hours to get to some of my destinations,so they got to be secure.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

atavuss wrote:
I use a 1/4 ton Bantam trailer that has racks on it, I would strap the PA down to the racks and then strap the OB down on top of the PA. You will have to take the PA seat off though. I used foam blocks between the PA and OB. The trailer is not wide enough to carry the PA and OB side by side. It was a pain to lift the OB over 6' to put it on top of my PA especially if my short buddy was with me, he would have to stand on the open tailgate of my pickup.

Yeah what ever I do,I will be doing mainly on my own when loading kayaks.Kids are too small to help and wife likely cant lift them very high.It may come down to a trailer,but hopeful to figure something else out.'Cheers :D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:39 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I hauled my PA AND my AI in the back of my Ram with bed extender. had the PA flat, and laid the AI on it's side. but if yer gonna haul other stuff with a trailer or whatever, that route wont work for ya.

ex 2012 Hobie Tandem Island
ex 2011 Hobie Pro Angler
ex 2011 Hobie Adventure Island
ex 2010 Hobie Adventure Island

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:26 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I roll with a PA & an outback in the pickup bed all the time. No problems & no extender. One strap securing bows, one across the midsection (ratchet strap) on cargo loops by tailgate, & one tiedown ties the sterns together. Yaks havent budged ever. Many trips up to 3 hrs made. Wouldnt mind getting an extender for longer trips. Puttin PA on top sounds like hell to me.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:11 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I carry mine in a short bed with a bed extender. If you get a Hobie cart it's very easy to manage.

http://www.mariner-sails.com
http://www.TFOrods.com

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Here's how I roll with the Hobie outback and pro angler.....outback on the top rack, and the PA in the bed.... I have a bed extender, but never use it :shock:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I cant remember where I seen it, but a member had a hitch in the fromt with a extender and ran it from the cab to the front. He towed a trailer or 5th wheel around. :roll:

2012 Pro Angler
Take a kid fishing!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:42 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

gotcha wrote:
I cant remember where I seen it, but a member had a hitch in the fromt with a extender and ran it from the cab to the front. He towed a trailer or 5th wheel around. :roll:

Hey thats a great idea :D
I should have thought of that..thanks for giving me insight.
Now just have to find that setup.First need a hitch piece welded on front,then find the bar for front. Im sure a blacksmith can fabricate something.
Jack