Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:13 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello All,

I am about to purchase a new Revolution 11 which will be my first Hobie kayak and use it as a fishing platform in and around the waters of Cape Cod Massachusetts. The waters I will be kayaking often have very considerable boat traffic and I have some concern that the Ivory Dune color may not provide enough visibility under certain weather/forecast/light conditions and I would be very interested to hear from other owners of Ivory Dune kayaks if they have ever had 'close calls' with other boaters be they power or sail which they thought might have been a result of the lower visibility of the Ivory Dune color. I understand I can create greater visibility by the clothing I wear and by using a safety flag but would still like to get opinions from other owners of an Ivory Dune kayak. The safety flag is to me not bombproof in that at certain angles and in certain conditions its not always all that visible. Color choice 'worries' may seem like hair splitting but I know Im going to own this boat for a very long time and Id like to go with a favorite color if its not a safety concern.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I wouldn't own any other color but dune!! I go out on the Gulf of Mexico with no trouble. Of course always on guard when I see a boat approaching but that's common sense!! Enjoy your new yak!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you are concerned about being seen get a Mango/Papaya boat (the yellow colour) and don't waste your money on a flag: they remain invisible until long after the kayak is visible.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The dune color is quite visible as well but do not disregard the use of a flag. When navigating in waves when you are in a trough the color makes no difference because you are not visible except the top of your head, but a flag is still visible. I own two Hobie revolutions a dune and a mango. I use flags on both. If you plan any early morning adventures where fog may be an issue a flag with a light is mandatory. Yak Attack makes a very nice carbon visipole with flag & light. YES a flag does make you more visible! I have been on Bass Lakes in fog with 50 MPH Bass Boats zipping around, they see the light even if they can't see me. I have added two additional marker flags below the Yak Attack flag and also on the bicycle flag I use on my other revolution. I have had Marine Patrol stop and compliment on the choice of a flag and they said they saw that first before the kayak or me.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have the ivory dune color kayak and feel confident it will be visable. I have had a bright yellow kayak as well and that one could be seen very easily . I also feel a flag is important, but the best safety feature is your own senses!

1 other kayak for son

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:05 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Great responses everyone. Keep em coming!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:22 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Never compromise your safety on the water for the sake of a color preference. Although I have a highly visible Revolution 13 in Papaya color, I take every precaution to make myself visible. I take the following precautions on every outing:

1. VisiCarbon PRO with safety light (USCG rated at 2 miles visibility)
2. Additional hi-vis full size green safety flag plus a streamer both with SOLAS safety tape
3. SOLAS tape on the rear of my Crate Pak rod holder tubes
4. YakAttack NITEStripe safety striping - visible day or night
5. SOLAS tape placed on my Hobie Paddle
6. Stohlquist PFD has reflective piping on front and back
7. Blaze orange baseball cap
8. Hi-vis fishing shirts: white, aqua, lime, peach, etc.....
9. A safety whistle
10. Lastly, (and often overlooked) if all of these fail and my mirage drive can't get me out of trouble fast enough, a digital camera to capture the offender and a quick holler on the trusty VHF marine radio will have the maritime enforcement close at bay for someone that is completely wreckless.

PowerTeam Lures - deadly on bass!!! use promo code "HANOVER" at checkout for a 15% discount

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:01 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Color doesn't matter if the other guy isn't watching where he is going, so pick your favorite and get an air horn! 8)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:31 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Tough question, and it's logically impossible to answer, *if* you depart from the simple decision to get the most visible color possible, for whatever reason.

I have two Hobies, now, and have had 3 -- all yellow/orange colors. Not particularly pretty colors, but it seemed cheap insurance. I don't fly a flag.

The fish don't care.

All that said, I've never know anyone personally who's been run over, or had an extremely close call, and if so....would the hull color have mattered? Dunno.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:24 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Low sun angle and reflection can hide any color:

Similarly, when the fog rolls in or you get stuck out at night, you can't rely on people seeing you.

Unfortunately we had a local incident in San Diego recently where an inappropriately speeding Coast Guard patrol boat (of all vessels!) ran over a small motorboat at night and killed a child...not watching where they were going. Color wasn't a factor.

Nautical communication and collision avoidance is best handled audibly, not visually. The system has been in use for centuries and seems to work pretty well! Color can help, but anyone relying on color for safety, especially in such a small profile vessel as a kayak has got a naive sense of security.

That said, I like white (although not quite as visible as yellow), haven't had a problem in 10 years in often busy bays, harbors and lakes. Closest call was a fast moving commercial fishing boat emerging from behind an ocean jetty -- a mutual surprise -- and big wake (for me more than him)! Again, color wasn't an issue. 8)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Witnessed a 35 Bayliner Cabin Cruiser Trudging along too fast in an idle speed zone (bow too high to see in front of vessel) ran right over an idling 16 foot bowrider with 6 people aboard. 4 were taken to hospital with propeller wounds and the 6th was missing for 4 hours finally found entangled in the prop shaft of the boat that ran them over. 4 criticallly wounded and one dead and they never saw it coming he came from behind. This was not on the ocean but in the intracoastal waterway.

Can you be visible to those not looking?, of course not but be as visible as you can to those that are.

Common sense is no longer common, considerate boaters are a rarity and do not feel it cannot happen to you nor have delusions of immortality ... SH*T HAPPENS! What is YOUR life worth? Recklessness on your part also puts in danger the life of the one who has to try and save you if necessary. Think safe and smart have fun out there.