Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Neoprene side rails?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello. New to the forum and new to Hobies. Went on vacation and fell in love with the sport. After doing lots of research I decided the 16 was the boat for me. I bought a used 87 and am just sprucing things up on it. The fellow before me had indoor outdoor carpeting on the sides of the frame but I would like to replace it with neoprene. I'm having a hard time finding any at a reasonable price. Anybody have any suggestions? I live in Central Ontario in the Muskoka region if that helps. Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Neoprene side rails?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I would try Fogh Marine in Toronto. They have an online site but it's kind of awkward. Instead download the Hobie catalog and then call them.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Murrays Marine, they don't use neoprene it is eva 40 bucks for the kit.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the replies. I'm kind of a do it yourself kinda of of guy like most of the people here are. I was looking for something maybe a little thicker. I haven't seen either of these products and actually never even heard of eva but found 4'x8' sheets of it with a textured surface at Canadian Tire for 25 bucks. It's for matting on floors and things. I'm wondering if this would work for a fraction of the cost? I don't mind cutting and shaping it just the way I want it. Maybe even even double it up to make it thicker. I haven't even sailed yet so I don't know if that is even a benefit or not. I figure I will be sitting quite a lot and the more comfortable the better. Am I right in thinking this way?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Try www.hydroturf.com. This material is used for mats for PWC's. You can buy sheets of this. Easy to cut and install.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Check out Mcmaster.com. You could get enough to do the rails for about $20 if you measure and cut right .They are also a great source for all finds odds and ends.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

element wrote:
Thanks for the replies. I'm kind of a do it yourself kinda of of guy like most of the people here are. I was looking for something maybe a little thicker. I haven't seen either of these products and actually never even heard of eva but found 4'x8' sheets of it with a textured surface at Canadian Tire for 25 bucks. It's for matting on floors and things. I'm wondering if this would work for a fraction of the cost? I don't mind cutting and shaping it just the way I want it. Maybe even even double it up to make it thicker. I haven't even sailed yet so I don't know if that is even a benefit or not. I figure I will be sitting quite a lot and the more comfortable the better. Am I right in thinking this way?

Check murray's catalogue, you get the glue with the kit you can not do it cheaper. eva is what you Nike's have for soles.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Some time ago I found rolls of non-skid rubber stick-on for bathtub use. I put it on my side rails and was very happy with the results. I had trouble finding it again when I needed it so I don't know if you can find it. I found a similar tape but it was more like sandpaper. If you can find it, it is a good solution and not expensive.

I just did a search and came up with a Canadian company that makes the type of tape I am referring to. www.noskidding.com

I might get some more myself.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Check the Hobie catalog for their neoprene side rail kit.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This is basically the same as the Hydroturf I listed above. Ross started this company about 1-2 years ago. Contact him and give him the dimensions you need and he can take care of you. This is a great material. Easy to install.