Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Living in Texas, I go through tons of water when I'm paddling on a summer day. A sport bottle in the cup holder only lasts a short time, and the sun quickly heats the water, even if it's packed with ice. So I created a hydration system that stores a large amount of water without having to keep it in the sun or on my back. I replaced an unused "screw-in pad eye" with a "shock cord end screw in" on which I had enlarged the hole. Then I ran an insulated CamelBak hydration tube through the hole, and placed the water reservoir inside the hull. I'm looking for a small softside cooler to further insulate the reservoir. Now I can drink up to 3 liters of water without having to change containers, without taking up any room in the cockpit, and it stays icy cold all day!

The water reservoir can fit fore or aft, so there is plenty of room for the gear bucket ("Tupperware" as I call it,) even if you have the extra-deep model.

The foam insulation on the tube provides a nice snug fit through the hole, so there is almost no leakage into the hull.

I also found the paddle tends to fall off the side paddle holders easily unless I secure it with the shock cord. But sometimes I want to keep the paddle handy for a quick stroke here and there, but not have to fool with tensioning and un-tensioning the shock cord every time. Solution: Attach 2 mending plates. The mending plates and the stainless steel sheet metal screws used to install them both came from Lowe's. They are in the hardware aisle, in the drawers of speciality items. Total cost: under $5.

Note I can adjust the height of these by removing the screws and moving the mending plates up or down, but the height I have them at works quite well.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Nice upgrades!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Absolutely amazing hydration upgrade. Keeps the dancing bladder below deck, and much cooler even without a soft cooler wrap. Great pics. - thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

That hydration idea is a winner. I have to be very careful about hydration due to some health issues and that thing just may be the ticket for me. No more carring a cooler for a few drinks. Thanks for the idea!

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 8:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Rob, great idea on the hydration system!

Please detail what you used for the grommet that the hose passes through. I am not familiar with the piece you described. Thanks!

Keith

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 1:39 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The grommet is actually the Hobie #71115001 Shockcord end screw-in fitting. It's on p. 42 of the Spring 2012 Parts & Accessories catalog. I drilled the hole out a little bigger.

Happy Kayaking,
Rob

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 9:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Rob that is one great idea. Way to think.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 8:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Rob, great idea on the bladder, I have one that I use for other purposes, but going to implement something similar for sure. My cooler space is reserved for fish!

On that paddle deal, what we've done on wooden yaks rather than drilling holes, is to use a 6-8" piece of romex house wire, simply bend a short piece into hook, and curl one under deck bungies fore and aft. Instant paddle keeper at your side, ready for use. It's easily removable at end of day too. Just another thought to your great observation about having the paddle handy at times. Also, I keep a tiny homemade paddle for subtle side or back movements.

One Ocean Storm cedar stripbuilt
2009 Native Ultimate 12

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 4:01 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Great idea with the bladder. Your paddle keepers are a good thought. I got a "paddle clip" from Austin Kayak that I really like. Tell them to do a special order from Hobie. $10 including shipping. Works perfectly. Rivet it on.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Just re-created your fantastic idea on our new Revo 11 & Revo 13. What a grand idea. When we won't be using the hydration hole, purchased some foam ear plugs to stick in the hole.

The 13' was easy to do, just like your pic. In the 11' I switched the mirage drive bungie with the pad eye across the boat and put in a second bungie plug to drill through so the hose would be on the opposite side of the rudder control instead of adding a new hole in the boat.

Thanks for the fantastic idea!!!