Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New (to me) Hobie! Help!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:04 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello!
I am new to this, so bear with me (my sailing experience is lessons when I was a kid, 30+ years ago, on a Laser in Oregon).

I just found and bought a 1978 Hobie cat, hull seems to be fine, the jib is patched and the mainsail needs to be replaced, I bring it home today (without a murmur from my wife???).

I am assuming I will be needing more than sails, as well as life jackets, etc. I have downloaded the PDF that (kind of) tells me how to set it up to sail it.
Can anyone point me towards used (should I be looking at year specific for design?) sails, gear, etc.

Any and all (kind) comments, advise, pointers etc would be much appreciated! I am located in the Harrison TN area.
Thank you,
JHJensen

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:16 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Well what model do you have? New standing rigging and rudder cams almost a given to replace immediate, assuming you have a 16 that's about $108 for the rigging and $20ish for the rudder cams. I also have a cheap mainsail listed on eBay for a 16.

2010 AHPC C2 #218

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have no idea how to determine the model? And I am going to be reading the setup PDF later today to try and set it up; I am rather certain I will find that need quite a bit of little things.
A mainsail and job are needed for sure. Can you post a link to your eBay listing, and perhaps point me to good source for parts?
I think I am also going to have to learn a bit about sails...
;)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:00 am 
Site Rank - Captain

To determine which model it is, take a tape measure and measure the length of the hulls. the length of the hulls is the model (Hobie 14 is ~14', Hobie 16 is ~16', etc).

You can also post a picture here and people will ID it quickly.

1990 Hobie 18SX #2077

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:29 pm 
Site Admin

Except...

A Hobie 16 is 16 feet 7 Inches.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yes, I discovered that measuring anomaly today, and was surprised that it was not rounded up (a boat thing or a man thing, I am sure shrinks around the world would love to share an opinion)!

Also, special thanks to a very friendly sales person in Cincinnati, who, via phone was able to guide me to the serial number. I was of course rather surprised when I found it, I had mistaken it for scratches... CCMF6242M78

So...help anyone with recommendations with sails, rigging, etc, now that I have determined the year is indeed a 1978, and it is indeed a 16.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Generally anything '94 or older will fit, and a lot of newer stuff, too, depending on the particular part.

For used, try the classifieds here and at thebeachcats.com, eBay, and craigslist.

Don't buy used standing rigging!

It's a good idea to develop a relationship with you're nearest Hobie dealer. Click on "Support" above for the toll free number, dealer finder, catalog request, and tons of other good info. The FAQs here are really good, too. Your dealer may be Rooke Sails in Memphis....good people.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:01 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you! I will give them a shout. And I am guessing the standing rigging has something to do with the mast? I should find a place that has a definitive list of hobie cat terms; I was asked if it had wings...and I asked if the guy was talking about airplanes?

:)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Have that boat thoroughly checked out by someone who knows boats, preferably someone who knows Hobies. There's not much we can do on this forum to check the boat except offer advice of what to look for and help with specific problems, because there are so many factors that affect a boat's condition.

Check:
Hulls for soft spots by knocking on them. You want clunks, not thups. If you feel a bubble when you press then that's a soft spot, meaning the fiberglass is delaminating from the foam core, and while repairable it is probably more trouble than it is worth. Cracks in the gelcoat aren't necessarily structural weaknesses, but check them. A little beach wear on the bottoms is OK, but gouges and thin spots may need attention.

Rudders for looseness and wear.
Cross bars for loose or missing rivets.
Trampoline for holes and stretched grommets.
Mast for holes, leaks, loose rivets, dents.

If all those are OK then move on to the replaceable wear and tear parts which will very likely need replacing:
Tamp lacing
Sheets
Blocks
Halyards
Hull plugs
Down haul line

Since you need new sails and if everything above checks out then you move on to the hard part, sails and standing rigging. Older Hobies, about 1983 and older, had jib sails cut to go with the shroud and forestay lengths, but those lengths changed and so did the cut of the jib. It is highly advisable to get a new jib, not used, since jibs get stretched out and cause the leech to flap to beat the band and it's not worth it to repair them. When you order a new jib then order new standing rigging at the same time so the lengths match the cut of the jib. It would behoove you to replace all the standing rigging if the previous owner doesn't know exactly how old it is, and if it's more than five years then take a real hard look at it all for frays, kinks, and rust.

Standing rigging parts to replace:
Shrouds
Bridle wires
Shroud anchor pins, failure of these the number one cause of dismasts
Bridle wire tangs, yep they fail, too
Forestry - ??? darn auto correct changed 'forestay'.
Clevis pins

If the main isn't patched and worn beyond hope then keep it.

All this is for your safety and others'. Good luck and welcome aboard.

Last edited by Skipshot on Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:59 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you you for the extended and almost demoralizing list! ;)
The hull is in amazing shape for the age; I don't think she got out much? Does the soft spot you refer to mean the top of the pontoon as well? And I am not sure how to differentiate between the sounds you describe, one is perhaps more hollow sounding?
Both sails will have to be replaced, and based on this extensive list, I am thinking I need a local guy to help familiarize me with this thing.
Thank you for your help!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

JHJensen wrote:
Does the soft spot you refer to mean the top of the pontoon as well?
Yep. Everywhere.

JHJensen wrote:
And I am not sure how to differentiate between the sounds you describe, one is perhaps more hollow sounding?
It's like the difference between knocking on a table and a couch.

Be careful you don't buy a money pit, and if you did then don't throw good money after bad, and if the hulls, tramp frame, and spars are straight and not corroded then go for it. I'm trying to help set some expectations so you aren't disappointed and discouraged. Hobie Cats are well made and durable boats, but they still need maintenance, and older ones need more work.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

JHJensen wrote:
And I am not sure how to differentiate between the sounds you describe, one is perhaps more hollow sounding?

A solid hull will sound tight and crisp. A delaminated hull will sound dull/muted.
If you want to use a more accurate method for finding delamination, use the "coin tap test". This is actually the test that is used by the composites industry. You take a quarter and rapidly tap it against the hull/part. Structurally sound areas will have a consistent high-pitched tone. A delaminated area will be noticably more dull than the surrounding areas. If you press on that area, it is also likely to be noticably more flexible than the rest of the hull - it's a soft spot.

I would at least use a coin in the area right in front of the forward pylons. This is the most common area for delam on a Hobie.

sm

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you, I will do that. I have almost nothing in the boat at this time; the trailer is worth more than I paid so...
Two more questions (for now): what is the process to fix a delaminating hull, and how do I post pictures here? ;)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi,

The best way to test and seal a mast .... is in a swimming pool.

At the Yacht Club I'm a member at, there is a in-ground swimming pool ... and it is long enough for the mast to fit in the "shallow-end" ... so ... I scrub/wash the mast ... and then carry it to the pool and lay it carefully in the water .... then I look for bubbles .... simple ....

I just need to do it when NOBODY is around swimming in the pool ....

H-18 mag/ #9458
Fleet 54 Div 11

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:39 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Um, the mast I have is hollow aluminum, I think with a slit running down most of it? Hmmmm