Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a H14 that I sail in the SOMD/Chesapeake area, but my family is going to the OBX this summer for two weeks and I'd love to take the boat along. We stay in Pine Island, over in Corolla, and I'm just curious as how to go about getting the boat onto the beach?

I called Corolla Fire/Rescue and they said it was fine to keep on the beach as long as I took down the sail when we aren't using it. So now my problem is getting the boat over to the water, as we don't have a beach front house (its ~200 feet away but with wooden walk way acces).

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, otherwise I'll probably end up putting her in the water over at Carova and sailing back to the beach by the house.

Thanks for your help!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The sound side is a great place to play. Currituck down to Albemarle. I'd love to sail the sounds for two weeks.

http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/12204.shtml

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi,

There is a Catamaran Sailing Center in "Duck" on the bay side ... you'll have to drive right by it according to my map ... I believe the gentlemans name is "John" ... I believe he is a "Englishman" .... he speaks w/ a english accent ... or is it S Africian ... or Austrialian ... or KIWI ??? ... (I can't tell the difference ...)

Register to post on the "Catsailer" ....the "Open Forum" ... there are people on that forum who sail in that area and post in all the time .... look for "Team Cat Fever/Todd Hart ... he lives in the OBX area ... also look for the "Duck Cup", it's a race that is run in June at ..... DUCK .... imagine that ...

H-18 mag/ #9458
Fleet 54 Div 11

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The really soft deep sand on the ocean front is not fun to pull a boat to the water a 14 might not be that bad Four people can just carry a 14
Former Hobie Admiral Gary

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 8:04 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Getting a boat on the Atlantic is tough as there is almost no trailer access anywhere in that area.
If you want to launch sound side, the place Harry Murphey is talking about is called Nor'Banks Sailing ( I work there).
You can launch your boat there. The owner is John Britt, really nice guy.

If you are 100% on a oceanside launch, I might could help you out. My family has ocean-side property in Southern Shores, and if you bring the muscle there is enough space to carry the boat over the dunes. You would then have to sail it north t' wherever you are staying.