Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I believe the dagger sleeve could be made in 2 pieces and connected by something as simple as bungee. The loads are at the top and bottom of the wells, look how thin the inner well is. So, basically an upper and lower plug that are removable.Cast a mold from the well and another from the proposed dagger, configure your dagger placement within the well and bond the two together. I realize its not that simple but I'm sure someone with good composite skills could make this.
Might even be a design that could be sold to Hobie to make out of plastics. That would allow them to sell old inventory of F18 daggers and this new product to interested H18 owners.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:08 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

[quote="ncmbm"]I haved raced my boat in the F18 fleet and can definatively state that the H18 with squaretop, self tacking jib and spin can match the F18s in boat speed upwind and down.
Pics or it didn't happen

I have the manual as well. Mine is missing the chapter on the only way to make the boat go is to singlehand. I am also missing the bit about how so many boats with higher portsmouths numbers can easily beat it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I need to come see you this summer so you too can feel the power of the hotrod H18! I think you will be quite surprised by how responsive this rig is and the ease with which she tacks or jibes. With the custom jib it is much stronger, its about a third larger than an F18 jib. I haven't raced it since the jib was added and probably won't be racing anytime soon but the boat is for sure faster. The F18 jib left too large of a slot and created turbulence. This new jib from Whirlwind is custom for my boats measurements and works flawlessly with the main. Chip is the man for sails IMO!

I'd like to drag the longboard along and camp on Masonboro Iland. or something like that if possible this year.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I want to buy The Hobie 18 Performance manual but I can't find one online anywhere. Does anyone have one you might want to sell?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

For those who are interested, I thoroughly enjoyed Phil Berman's Catamaran Racing From Start To Finish, which I picked up on Amazon.com a week or two back for around $6. This is an excellent resource in my opinion, especially for those (like me) who still have a ways to go before mastering the many nuances of boat handling, tuning, etc. Berman's book isn't Hobie 18 specific nor is it as technical as Rick White's Catamaran Racing for the 90s, but still a very good read for the budding "Cat speed merchant".

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I ordered catamaran racing from start to finish too. Mine should arrive Friday, and I got the .25 cent one with 4 buck shipping.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

jmecky wrote:
I ordered catamaran racing from start to finish too. Mine should arrive Friday, and I got the .25 cent one with 4 buck shipping.

I think you'll enjoy the book, jmecky. The first hundred pages focuses on boat handling and tuning and the final section deals with racing strategy and tactics. Berman is a former multi-class World Champion (including the 18) back during the Hobie racing heydays, so he knows a thing or two for sure. Interestingly, some of his suggestions seem to go against conventional wisdom - at least with regards to the H-18 e.g., he recommends plastering 20+ sets of tell-tales on your main and jib (I'll pass on that one). :)

Last edited by BrianCT on Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Having a few well placed extra sets of tell tails isn't a bad idea, especially when you're still learning the boat and working on getting a feel for when you're at max efficiency. The downside comes when you spend too much time looking a the tell tails and not enough time watching what's going on around you. The more you develop a feel for the boat, the less you will rely on telltails and you'll only glance at them occasionally if things don't feel right (this is for the main telltails, the jib telltails get used a lot, especially downwind by both skipper and crew).

I find that on the 18 mainsail, two sets of telltails should be added. One set of telltails in both the second and third panels from the top of the main at 30% back. These will tell you the amount of twist/mainsheet tension required. The two stock lower sets of main telltails are only minimally useful.

sm

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:18 am 
Site Rank - Captain

srm wrote:
I find that on the 18 mainsail, two sets of telltails should be added. One set of telltails in both the second and third panels from the top of the main at 30% back. These will tell you the amount of twist/mainsheet tension required. The two stock lower sets of main telltails are only minimally useful.
sm

What are your thoughts on telltales on the leech for the 18? On the leadmines I've raced, they're very useful, but obviously they're very different boats...

1990 Hobie 18SX #2077

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks SRM, I believe my boat has the following tell-tale setup on the main. Does this sound about right?

Luff (from top and placed about one foot aft): Panels 2, 5 (Hobie window) and 7 (Hobie window)
Leech (from top and placed roughly 6" forward): Panels 3 and 5

(My jib just has the two sets, located at the factory windows)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

SNovak wrote:
What are your thoughts on telltales on the leech for the 18? On the leadmines I've raced, they're very useful, but obviously they're very different boats...

I've never used them. I stick to the two sets in panels 2 & 3 on the mainsail. These are very useful upwind in light/medium air as they will tell you instantly if you're over sheeted or have room to go in a little more. Once you're double trapped, there's little use for the main telltails, just sheet in hard and steer to keep the hull skimming.

Downwind, I steer mainly by the bridle fly (roughly 90 degrees) and somewhat by the lower jib telltail. The crew works the jib constantly to keep both sets of jib telltails flowing at all times. Keeping the jib connected is key to going fast downwind and is highly dependent on the crew's concentration level- you cannot set & forget.

sm

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

How often do you change the jib track position? Is that set to trim the jib for the mast rake. Or does it have upwind down wind positions and adjust as needed?

srm where are you located again?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

jmecky wrote:
How often do you change the jib track position? Is that set to trim the jib for the mast rake. Or does it have upwind down wind positions and adjust as needed?

We personally almost never change it. It is set for upwind sailing and you want it set so that the upper and lower sets of telltails break at the same time, or the uppers to break just before the lowers. In high wind, we may move the cars back slightly to open the slot and allow a little more twist in the jib. If it's really blowing hard, we may even crack off the jib very slightly (1 to 2 inches).

Downwind, in light/medium wind, the crew holds out the jib out or even up by hand to keep the telltails flowing properly.

Located in NJ.

sm

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Brian and Mecky and SRM and others,
help me out here.
I run my SX18 with Custom Whirlwind sails, squaretop.
I don't have panels....suggestions where to place tell-tales?

Brian, thanks for the 'interest' and the note...

Next week, we'll put up the mast and get other things ready.
Can't wait.

BTW, the Rick White DVD is amazing....it took me 12 re-runs of 'the tack' to figure out what they were doing, it was sooooo smooth.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:38 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

srm wrote:

I've never used them. I stick to the two sets in panels 2 & 3 on the mainsail. These are very useful upwind in light/medium air as they will tell you instantly if you're over sheeted or have room to go in a little more. Once you're double trapped, there's little use for the main telltails, just sheet in hard and steer to keep the hull skimming.

Downwind, I steer mainly by the bridle fly (roughly 90 degrees) and somewhat by the lower jib telltail. The crew works the jib constantly to keep both sets of jib telltails flowing at all times. Keeping the jib connected is key to going fast downwind and is highly dependent on the crew's concentration level- you cannot set & forget.

sm

My wife calls Steve "The Wind", usually as he's pulling a horizon job on the rest of the fleet :!:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next