Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:09 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I've been reading a LOT of internet forums about kayaking, both before and since I bought a PA14. Everywhere on those forums, 'yakkers tout the use of Marine Goop. It seems to be the duct tape of kayaking. Nothing but praise.

Yet, on the package of Marine Goop, it says, "GOOP is not recommended for use on...polyethylene...plastics." Is this a prudent warning, or overcautious labeling? Can I get some reassurance from the experts on this, please?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I used it on my Turbo fins with no problems. Now I didn't have the boat for 8 or 10 years, but over the course of a few seasons, it seemed to be fine. I had to reapply it a couple times, but I didn't see any problems with it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

My transducer is glued in with Marine Goop and holding strong!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

One of the good things about Goop is that if it doesn't work, it is fairly easy to remove. For securing a transducer to the hull it seems to work fine if you use a lot and it's in an area where the transducer is not going to be constantly knocked around. Put a chunk of foam around the transducer when installing it to prevent inadvertent bumps from dislodging the transducer.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I had a tough time getting the goop to hold on my kayak. Then I found this stuff; Plasti Dip.
http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip

It's NOT the liquid tape stuff, this is thicker. A dab on anything, and it will stick. Make sure it's where you want it, because it doesn't just peel off. It also works great for sealing any holes, wire connections, anything electrical.

It's available at Home Depot and it comes in many colors.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:33 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

My question was to determine if GOOP damages polyethylene in any way, not about if it sticks. But I suppose I'll rely on the many folks using it on the hull with no reported problems.

Plasti-Dip is something I'd forgotten about. Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I initially mounted my Hummingbird transducer inside my Outback using Marine Goop.
About 15 months later, I bought a Hummingbird GPS/Combo fish finder....it used a different transducer......I was able to remove the first transducer and inspected my hull for any sign of damage....I found just a pristine hull....no signs of chemical reaction by Marine Goop and the hull or transducer material.

I ended up mounting my new transducer using electricians Duct Seal since it's very easy to remove and relocate the transducer if desired........the performance of my fish finder was great.....if you use Duct Seal (sold by Home Depot), make sure the transducer is really pressed into it so there is very little material between the hull and the face of the transducer to better transmit the signal. :D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:51 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I had read up on the various adhesives as well. GOOP as others have stated has been used with success; however, I have found that this is only applicable in mild or temperate climates where there is little chance of hull flex due to weather changes. Another disadvantage of using GOOP is that is dries very firmly into a rigid seal. With any flex or temperature change, the adhesion properties of GOOP can be compromised.

Another option is the duct seal and is useful in the same situation as mentioned before for items like transducers. I know of several folks that are now looking for another option, because over time due to temperature changes, the duct seal has broken free. Most often times this occurs when the kayak is rotated during transport and unloading/loading.

For me personally, I had the greatest success with a product known as LEXEL. It is sold by ACE Hardware and is an excellent adhesive that not only holds during hull flex situations, but also during temperature changes. Most notably, LEXEL has flexion properties that allow it to flex but still retain adhesion.

The one drawback to using LEXEL is that the adhesion qualities are so good that removal of the adhered item can be a bit challenging but can be removed with effort.

PowerTeam Lures - deadly on bass!!! use promo code "HANOVER" at checkout for a 15% discount

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Goop is goop. Marine Goop is the same stuff as Shoe Goop. Just the same product in different packages.

No, it won't harm the plastic in your hull one bit.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hanover_Yakker wrote:
... Another disadvantage of using GOOP is that is dries very firmly into a rigid seal. With any flex or temperature change, the adhesion properties of GOOP can be compromised...

Are we talking about the same stuff? The goop that I used (pictured above) remains flexible. Works in a variety of temperatures. I'm Canadian, and had no problems with it in cold weather/water.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

YakerJack wrote:
One of the good things about Goop is that if it doesn't work, it is fairly easy to remove. For securing a transducer to the hull it seems to work fine if you use a lot and it's in an area where the transducer is not going to be constantly knocked around. Put a chunk of foam around the transducer when installing it to prevent inadvertent bumps from dislodging the transducer.

2X on this comments.... Easy to remove when you need to. Not good for repair work or sealing leaks!!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Anything I have ever "glued" to the inside of my hull has been with GOOP. Nothing has come loose, unless I decided to remove it, which can be cleanly done, but only with some effort.

My buddy's Pro Angler leaked something terrible when he first got it. Instead of returning to the dealer and waiting on a new hull, we found the leaks (about a dozen holes in the scupper tubes) and sealed them with GOOP. Two years later he hasn't had a drop of water inside.

We look at GOOP as a miracle product.

I wonder how many people are aware of the proper surface preparation any time you attempt to adhere something to a surface? (No, you don't scratch and gouge the surface with sandpaper - that weakens the bond.)