Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Is it OK to transport a Quest 11 with the hull down on a pickup truck bed. I just took delivery of the kayak last week and this is how the dealer tied it in my truck when I picked it up yet I wonder if this is Ok.

I do understand when storing the Kayak with a hoist system that it should be upside down which is what I am doing when I am not on the water. Any and all comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The cautions about storing your Hobie kayak apply to long term storage, i.e. NOT to transporting for a few hours at a time.

Many, many owners transport their yaks hull down - in pickups or otherwise. Fishermen especially, since they often have rail mounted items that prevent them from sliding their yaks on their gunwales. To help support my kayak, I cut two 1" PVC pipes 6 feet long, covered them with foam pipe insulation, and place them under the hull along the grooves separating the lobes of my yak. This keeps the bottom from actually contacting anything, and provides longitudinal support. (The Oasis is almost flat crosswise, unlike some other models, so this does not work on all models.)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:55 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

rotondim wrote:
Is it OK to transport a Quest 11 with the hull down on a pickup truck bed.
I always slide my Revo 11 (same basic hull) right side up in the bed. I use the white bubble pack shipping sleeve to lay down underneath the boat for a little cushion and to maintain a clean contact surface as you can see here:

Works great, no problems. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:31 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank You for the responses. I assumed it was Ok for the short time it was going to be hull side down yet confirmation from others is always nice. Thanks again.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

got some nice bed support for your truck. But it looks way too hard to put up and takes a lot of time to put on the bed?