Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:09 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

i have been wanting to kayak across the bay for over 5 years and with the TI now for 2 years. I finally just did it this past Sunday, mainly cuz it was finally getting warm and the winds were perfect...

14 Miles round trip took about 90 mins the on the way over and about 75 mins on the way back.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=214521288296613004370.0004bdbc1f6896fdacd77

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

nice job! i'm from the area. i fish a hobie revo under the bay bridge, annap, kent island, etc and beyond. i cross the bay from hemmingways to sandy point and back multiple times, takes me ALOT longer though, lol. i hope to get an AI soon and do the same

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:19 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

hey that's pretty respectable.. i was originally going to paddle my rudimentary sit on top old ass kayak from the far side (hemmingways) back to sandy point park one time a few years ago but sort of chickend out the day before. the bay bridge is like 5 or 6 miles long i believe. i thought it would be cool to kayak the length of the bridge, one way at least since that is pretty far on an old school kayak.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:35 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

very cool Rusty. I want to do the same after I get more experience under my belt.
My brother lives in St Mary's County, so I might be leaving from there.

Didn't know there was a hemmingway's in MD.

Let's plan a crossing later this year after Stupid (sorry, lol) gets an AI.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

tons of people i know fish from one side of the bridge to the other from a kayak, peddle and paddle, let alone paddle and peddle the CBBT. the Chesapeake bay bridge is 4.3 miles long i believe. you guys do any fishing or just sailing? i plan on doing both from the AI

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:51 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

i haven't fished out there in a couple years. i'm from FL, grew up fishing, but for some reason i haven't had much luck the first few times I tried to fish from my shore and/or docks in my neighborhood so i sort of just gave up. i have everything but a fishing license at the moment so i could be convinced to give it another try.

any recommendations? do you guys just throw a lure or use live bait and a bobber or what?

BTW my sit on top kayak doesn't even have a rudder so it is extremely slow and requires lots of effort to paddle in a straight line if there is any wind or current at all and I figured under and around the bridge area that it would be windy like it always is and have some strong currents, not sure if this is true or not though. and this is why i was hesitant to try it on my old kayak,, but the TI, no problem man. :D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:26 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

stupidjet wrote:
you guys do any fishing or just sailing? i plan on doing both from the AI

I'm a wanna-be fisherman.