Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:52 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Has anyone tried using two carts to make the moving of the PA so you don't have to pick that front up to move.

A scupper cart and a strap around style cart for the front.

I'm moving the kayak up a beach yesterday and was thinking why not two carts. The front has some decent amount of weight to lift, then to try to move it on loose sand is a task.

The other thought is I have a boat winch that I'm considering strapping to a bed extender and than cranking the PA to me.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Have you considered a wagon of sorts? Same as two carts really, except the wheels will remain in parallel with each other whereas two carts could shift and cause maybe a bit of resistance due to misalignment issues.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:18 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Tom Kirkman wrote:
Have you considered a wagon of sorts? Same as two carts really, except the wheels will remain in parallel with each other whereas two carts could shift and cause maybe a bit of resistance due to misalignment issues.

Son of a gun, forgot about the racking possible issue. Thanks it's something more to take into consideration.
Tom

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:26 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Well I think Hobie has a wagon solution of sorts.
Pretty much the fitted hull supports mounted on two wheels. Uses straps to secure the pro angler.

Expensive though - considering the hull supports are $200 a piece , I think the price was closer to $400.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

If the forward trolly holes were spaced correctly, the PA could be balanced there as a pivot point with little 'lifting weight' involved like the rear holes require.

For me, the big problem is rolling the PA over to take the wheels off. I've usually got 'stuff' in the PA and either need to unload or dump every thing.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:14 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

SkiPro3 wrote:
If the forward trolly holes were spaced correctly, the PA could be balanced there as a pivot point with little 'lifting weight' involved like the rear holes require.

For me, the big problem is rolling the PA over to take the wheels off. I've usually got 'stuff' in the PA and either need to unload or dump every thing.

I will give the more forward holes a try, thanks.

With me using the back holes for the wheels getting them off is easy, just pick the back up higher till they fall out. Now putting them back in is different, I roll it on its side. I haven't had anything fall out though. I always double check for everything before I walk away, and I do the same at the vehicle, to make sure nothing is left behind at the lot.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Sounds like you are dealing with loose sand and fairly heavily loaded PA? Does your cart have oversized tires that float better on sand? If not, you may want to consider replacing the tires?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

removed

Last edited by Tom Kirkman on Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:33 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

jims wrote:
Sounds like you are dealing with loose sand and fairly heavily loaded PA? Does your cart have oversized tires that float better on sand? If not, you may want to consider replacing the tires?

I have the ballon tire scupper cart. I'm not pleased with it all so I just purchased a wheeleez large cart that straps around the whole kayak. I've got to get this thing more centered and balanced.

Pulling it up the beach doesn't bother me, it's the bow weight that's a pain in the backside.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Last year I got tired of dragging my Ride 135 through the deep fine sand on the Gulf of Mexico, so I rigged up a couple of "pack straps" that went back to the bow handle. Now I put on my "pack straps" and just lean forward and make the trudge. Instead of heaving the weight, I use my weight to pull it. Should not it's being used in conjunction with a wheeleez mini-cart. It's worked very well for me. I'm going to pick up a used PA tomorrow which comes with a wheeleez scupper cart. Already have another one from my wife's outback, so I'm hoping to try the dual cart thing. I also have a mini-wheeleez cart. Will try and get some experimenting in the next couple months and let you know what the best combination of wheeleez cart/pack straps might be. I'm very optimistic about coming up with a workable solution.