Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello, I am moving near Lake Texoma (TX, ok border) in a few months and Have decided its finally time to get a Hobie cat. I sailed Sabots and JY trainers frequently as a kid, but have almost no experience otherwise.

This Craigslist boat is about 2 hours north of me:
http://lawrence.craigslist.org/boa/2926330715.html

Seller believes it is either a 1981 or 1988 model. The current owner says that the previous owner lost the title, so I will have to sort a that out as well.

Is it worth the price from what you can see? Should I offer less? What should I check if I go to inspect it in person?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

IF, big IF, the sails are good, the mast is straight, the hulls are solid, and everything else is completely there.

Take someone with you that knows Hobies. If it is all good, that is a fair price.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It's not an '88 as the frame is not anodized and the mast looks like it is, only a bit oxidized and dusty. Have them look at the transom of the hulls and give you the hull ID and you can get the year of the boat from there. Yeah, the sails are the thing that will bust a deal like this. They need to be decent to make it a go. Good luck and don't be discouraged if this doesn't work out. They are out there.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:23 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

If you come up this way (Lawrence, KS...KC...Lake Clinton....Lake Perry), check out our Fleet 297. (John Eaton and Ron Holm post frequently)

This is in our neck of the woods.
This craigslist guy wanted to sell the same boat for $1600 last fall. I agree with the other poster that it is older than '88. I would want to see pics of the sails.

Jim has better boats at a fair price. Call him and get current inventory.

JIM SOHN: SAILING CENTER
5454 NE 14TH STREET
DES MOINES, IA 50313
Phone: 1-515-554-0680
E-mail: [email protected]

There are at least 3 races in Kansas this summer (2 in Wichita, 1 in Lawrence).
I hope you can come out.

-Blair Sutton

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Definetly not an 88 look at the rudder castings, ser. # on the transomes will tell you. Check the top of the hulls for soft spots!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You need to inspect it in person. There is not enough info in the ad or the picture to determine a value. I would say that it looks like its got a good quality trailer- heavy frame and reinforced joints. It also looks like the tramp may be fairly new. Otherwise, you need to inspect for damage, soft spots, corrosion, completeness, etc. The ad just doesn't have enough info.

sm

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 9:59 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks everyone. I don't know a Hobie expert that I can drag along. I have a lot of experience with fiberglass and the repair of as I once rebuilt a Corvette. What do I check on the sail? I've lived in Wichita my whole life, but I have to move to Oklahoma for 3 years for residency. After that, I hope to be back. Are the Wichita races on Cheney?

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:42 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

He gave me the hull ID number. It is a 1981. I asked if he would be willing to go as low as $500. He said $600 and its mine, so I think I will go have a look at it.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 2:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Assuming it is sailable, that would be a good deal. The trailer is worth half of that. just be careful of the hulls and sails, as you can start spending money fast if they have major issues.
Good luck, and keep us posted!

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 5:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

About the sails though, am I just looking for holes, or do they get brittle. If I see a sail with no holes and no mold, is there anything else to look for?

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 6:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

This one also just popped up:

http://ksu.craigslist.org/boa/2986560685.html

It's been sailed as recently as last year. I need to haul this thing 5 hours on the interstate though, so I think I need the one with the better trailer.

Of course its 10 years older too.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 7:44 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi Luke42_02 - we just purchased our 16 this past weekend from a craigslist post* after a search that took months with many passes on the boats offered. All I can say is be patient but also be ready to act fast for the right boat because those go fast. We missed at least three good deals before we got ours but ended up the better for it so do not get discouraged either.

Also check out non-craigs list places like this forum http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=7.

Also research some of the prices and conditions of the boats from past listings here and http://www.sailingtexas.com/cboats99hobie16.html
and watch for new listings here http://www.sailingtexas.com/cboats.html
Some of these may be closer; of course distance is all relative in the Big Star state.

Other than that check around this forum - in addition to the replies above in your post there has been a lot of good advice on what to look for from folks with a lot of experience. I know it helped me.

Always confirm the year - seems like of lot of listings (as you already learned) have the wrong model year.

* Use this search aggregator with the "within N miles" search function for a much easier way to cruise craigs list in multiple areas at once. http://www.searchtempest.com/