Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Was looking to update my single block setup with a triple. Naturally i'm looking for the best deal and came across an upper and lower triple block from a company called Nautos. Their lower block (part #92733) sells for around $90, and their upper (part # 92230) goes for about $50. Much less then a Harken setup and both blocks are 57mm. Of course the ol' "you get what you pay for" line runs through head so I was wondering if any of you have experience with, or an opinion on this company and their products since they seem to be a lot less expensive then Harken.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I came to this forum with the same question about Nautos blocks. I saw your post and was disappointed to see no replies. Anyway, I found a Nautos distributor in St. Pete that gave me little more info. Though I'm not ready to buy blocks yet he gave me a little better insight into Nautos. A phone call may help you decide.

There are a few dealers listed on the 'Dealers' tab on this site.
http://www.nautos-usa.com/

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:40 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

I have very limited experience with Nautos blocks. I've only owned very small ones (18 mm) used for control lines (like the jib tack tension on a Tiger). They are very similar to the Holt-Allen (British) blocks and I've seen references to Holt-Nautos on the Internet. Not really sure what the connection is.

However, 57 mm is too large for the upper block. Stock size is 40 mm. (Harken 2643).

I will say that Harken blocks are made in the USA; Nautos blocks are made in Brazil. Harken will replace a broken or malfunctioning block, no questions asked (other than trying to figure out why it broke so they can make their products better).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for the heads up on Nautos. I just bought a 57mm Nautos 6:1 ratchet setup over the weekend. The ratchet base and triple boom block cost me $129 including shipping. They come with a 5-year warranty. I love Harken products but a similar setup from Murrays would have cost me three times what I paid for these blocks. Time will tell if I made a wise investment.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I a very interested in what you think of them after you see them and use them a little.

I am a big fan of 'Buy American', but really don't want to drop $350 on blocks. I would find a used set first.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 7:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I had a Harken 2655 break on me last night. It is the upper block in the Aussie halyard setup.

I called Harken this morning and they informed me there was a only a 5 year warranty.. But only asked that I send them the block with a description of how it was being used, and a replacement would be sent.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:04 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

ronholm wrote:
I had a Harken 2655 break on me last night. It is the upper block in the Aussie halyard setup.

The Harken 2655 (40 mm Carbo fiddle) is an marginal choice for the Aussie halyard system on a 16. It only has a 485 lb working load and a 1620 lb breaking strength.

A better choice is the Harken 100 (double bullet block for wire). It has a working load of 750 lbs. Pair it with the Harken 099 (single bullet w/becket for wire). Both of those have a 2000 lb breaking strength.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

MBounds wrote:
ronholm wrote:

The Harken 2655 (40 mm Carbo fiddle) is an marginal choice for the Aussie halyard system on a 16. It only has a 485 lb working load and a 1620 lb breaking strength.

A better choice is the Harken 100 (double bullet block for wire). It has a working load of 750 lbs. Pair it with the Harken 099 (single bullet w/becket for wire). Both of those have a 2000 lb breaking strength.

Besides having a replacement on the way... I am pretty sure I just ordered what you are suggesting. Jim Sohn is setting me up. :D

so given that my experience seems to reinforce what you are saying.. maybe this needs updated...

http://www.harken.com/OneDesign/hobie16.php

Sorry about the thread highjacking.. just wanted to put in my 2cents about Harken's service...

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Update: The $129 Nautos blocks I ordered on Saturday were shipped from Ft. Lauderdale at 9AM on Monday and arrived at my house this afternoon via Priority mail. So far so good. A pleasant surprise - they came with nice SS shackles. I didn't expect that. They basically look like knock-offs of the "other" brand. :P

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:00 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey I have the same dilemma with Harken vs. Nautos. Can you please share your experience wit the Nautos brand. Would you recommend it?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I just picked up a Nautos mainsheet ratchet block for my Sunfish. Seems to be good quality from what I can see. I'm curious to see if it compares to the Harken on my other boat. I'll update once i have some wear and tear on it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

TrueStory wrote:
Hey I have the same dilemma with Harken vs. Nautos. Can you please share your experience wit the Nautos brand. Would you recommend it?

Thanks.

My experience has been very positive. I can only speak for Nautos "Classic" line but I can tell you they are excellent blocks. The blocks I replaced were Harkens. You can't tell the difference (apart from the fact my ratchet now works). I went with 57MM for my H18. H16 sailors might need a smaller stack due to the significant mast rake.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Any updates on use/wear of the Nautos triple blocks? My Harken triple rachet died (so much for buying the best) and needs a replacement. I am using them on my 14 but should be the same as 16.

Also going to replace the main sheet.

Is Salsa 8mm still a popular choice or has it fallen out of favor for something newer?

Noticed Hobie is now supplying the Getaway's with Nautos blocks. Saw a new boat which had them. Owner said it came that way new.

Is the current setup 57mm on the bottom and 40mm on the top?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I've used OEM Nautos mainsheet blocks on the T2 for the past two years and I think they're great so far! I'm guessing they were a carry-over from the European Tatoos.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:37 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

amfoyle wrote:
I've used OEM Nautos mainsheet blocks on the T2 for the past two years and I think they're great so far! I'm guessing they were a carry-over from the European Tatoos.

Agreed. Got a set last summer and am very happy with them.