Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just took one out for about 1 1/2 hours and it was great. The sports are great for going out for a quick work out. Very easy to transport, just put in back of Forester with hatch open. Met up with a couple of paddle kayaks and
and pulled along side while paddling and then started peddling instead and pulling away. The guys were trying to keep up with me but no way. One of them asked me if there was a motor in the thing and he was very serious.
Some have said the sports are just toys, but I don't agree. They are very stable and there is something about the peddle system that just feels right. You get into a gentle rythm and just cruise. Felt invigorated when I got back.
It is so much better than just paddling. You can really appreciate what's around you and feel the wind and see the ripples on the water. Loved when the boats went by and able to ride the waves. Met up with a bunch of ducks swimming along and silently crept up on them. They glanced over and didn't know what to make of me but just kept swimming along. The silent nature of the drive and forward motion is very peaceful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:51 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Hi Jack,

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for sharing your experience. That Mirage drive launches you into a new dimension and the Sport is a very capable little platform -- there's no turning back now! 8)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My wife and I went out yesterday for a short trip - about 2.5 miles. It was great. We mostly peddled and went down to some friends on the lake and has a snack and went back. The way back was a little more refreshing for some reason. This was the first time out for my wife and she loved it except her lower back was hurting a bit and I think the life jacket was riding up and leaving no support there. We'll have to find a solution to that but maybe a few more trips and it will get stronger. I put the speedometer in and we were just going along slowly at 2 to 2 1/2 mph. When you get comfortable with seat back, pdf, etc. I can see how you could go all day. We are going to plan a trip on Cape Cod and the north shore with some friends and New Hampshire lake and see how things go. It does open a whole new world of being on the water and really feeling part of the environment without disturbing it at all. It's quite peaceful and I must say I am also looking forward to riding some waves and eventually getting the sail kit which should be a blast. Going short distances we just put the kayaks in the back of our forester and put a rug between them and it works great. I love the hobie sport and the detail and design of the whole thing. It is one item I don't mind spending the money on as it's just a great machine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:15 am 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
the sport is a favorite here around the shop, easy to handle on and off the water, and has proven to be a top seller as well, glad to hear you have a good experience tell a friend about it, its always more fun out with a bunch of yaks!!!

Thanks,
Brad Stephens
www.sunjammers.com
Hobie Division 15 Chairman
Authorized Hobie/Vanguard/Hunter Dealer
[email protected]
850-235-2281
866-sun-jamm
Panama City Beach, FL