Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: TI mast
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 12:49 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Took the TI out for the first time, had excess of 15 knots winds at times. Since I'm not yet comfortable with what the TI can handle, I was concerned with the forces being exerted on the mast. At times the wind was so strong that the outer hull was nearly all the way under the water. I never had a sense that it would tip over, but I was concerned that the mast was bending a great deal.

Since I do not have a wind gauge, its hard to know when you reached the point to reef. I don't see any recommendations from Hobie as to when to reef.

Post subject: Re: TI mast
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 1:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The TI mast is much more flexible compared to the AI.

I would recommend reefing in before the leeward (down wind side) ama starts submerging often. You will most likely go faster keeping the sail size smaller, as the wind speed rises. I would guess you were in 20 knot (24 mph) winds or higher at times. More experience and practice will tell you when to reef,
much depends on how rough a ride you are looking for. Also, very minor reefing, like 2 inches in or out, can make the boat feel quite a bit different, so play with it till you get comfortable with what you like.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 2:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What Bob said.
Hobie's guide when to furl has always been a submerging ama, though if somone is hiking out that guide isn't much help.
Due to its much larger sail area I furl a lot sooner on the TI than I would on the AI when the wind increases. I haven't done accurate tests but on the AI I think about reefing at +20knots whereas on the TI it's probably about +15knots. That lessens the chance of breaking things! :wink:

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 5:19 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I was thinking exactly what both people said above. I just get a feeling that things are getting a little more intense and then I reef a little, try again, reef a little, until I find that sweet spot where it feels most efficient and comfortable. I like going fast, don't get me wrong, but I don't like worrying about those pins and amas and all the other parts that are being stressed.