Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 6:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi

I just bought this bravo. It got a really bad repair (front part of the hull) . I need some help or ideas on how to repair it better!!! and I need some pics of other bravo... so I can see how the original part look.

TKS

http://s1071.photobucket.com/albums/u518/lifeguardpr/

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I can get you some pictures of my Bravo in the next day or so. The piece with the 4 small holes and the large hole in the middle is where a little ball mounts that holds the mast in place, the section to the left of the picture is where the front leg of the tripod mounts.

I know nothing about repairing these things, but I do know that the part that you're showing is pretty important.

The tripod on the Bravo has to be secure in order to sail. If you can't get it just right, you're going to have big problems. Anything from the mast falling down, to the boat breaking and sinking, likely both, are real possibilities. I would get a few opinions from Hobie Cat, or a local dealer before doing the wrong type of repair.

I found this picture online, it's not a close up of the parts that you want to see, but it does show the little ball, and the tripod.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 2:18 pm 
Hobie Tech / Moderator

We have a bracket that may help you with this. It through bolts through that hump on the boat so you can attach the vertical support to it, rather than the insert which looks like its gone in your boat.

Check with your nearest dealer about getting the parts.

Bracket - 90710031
Bolt - 8041111
Nut - 8050111

There will be more needed, but that should at least give you something to attach the vertical support to.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 3:42 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

That's a clean and clever fix. Did you add the bracket for added insurance or for repair??

Back to the OP... I would clean up the mess first to find out you're dealing with. Is the whole area cracked or damaged??

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 9:12 am 
Hobie Tech / Moderator

The bracket is a repair option. The molded in insert can be damaged, or torn out in rare occasions. This bracket enables you to just put a nut on the bottom of the vertical support. It will need to be below the surface, in the recess from the old molded in insert.

I agree that cleaning off the fiberglass should be a first step to see what you're really dealing with.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 12:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Would it make sense to install this bracket for added strength even though the vertical support tube is not damaged? Can water intrude into the hull through the bracket bolt holes?
Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 1:03 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Makes sense to me but isn't the post elevated by the thickness of the bracket. Does this throw off the geometry of the other fittings?

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 4:18 pm 
Hobie Tech / Moderator

It raises the post about 1/8" which isn't enough to have a negative impact on the geometry. The point where the furling drum on the mast contacts the A-frame has enough play to work fine.

I've never seen one of these brackets installed on a boat that didn't need it. I suppose you could though. The thickness of the plastic and foam layer inside varies. It shouldn't leak much if any at all with the hardware snug, but some sealant could be used if necessary.